main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "This is a rebellion isn't it? I rebel." - The Official Rebel Alliance Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Aug 14, 2016.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Not sure if this fits with the tread.......

I think in canon after ROTJ Luke leaves the rebellion and everything else because he believes he's done his bit. For him his war was against Vader and the emperor, it's the rebellions/new republic's job to clean up what's left of the empire.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    A lot of Rebels seem to have done that, at least the background of many people we have seen in new canon has that vibe.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Isn't the Contruum resistance under General Cracken canon again? I vaguely recall it popping up again in the BTA series, anyone recall where?

--Adm. Nick

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    So do you think the 'Catalyst' book will focus on the formation of the Rebellion much in the time just before Rogue One or do you think it will follow Jyn's story more?

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Afaik Moving Target mentioned it.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    As far as I can tell, the word Contruum appears nowhere in Moving Target. Of course, Cracken is in it, but "his people" are just his Intelligence operatives.

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    One of the things I always wanted to see (one of the many reasons I was pissed that the old EU never really explored the ROTS-to-ANH era) is how the galaxy goes from its Clone Wars political alignments to its Galactic Civil War alignments twenty years later. Which is to say, which factions in the late Republic/Clone Wars era would end up becoming Rebels later? (Other than the obvious ones - the Alderaanian, Corellian, Chandrillan factions that were obviously based around Bail Organa, Garm Bel Iblis, Mon Mothma).

And my basic conclusion was that the answer would be "people who didn't have a good relationship with either of the two sides of the Clone Wars." Presumably, most of the people who were hardcore Loyalists to the very end were people who were okay with what Palpatine was turning the Republic into (and those who weren't were either wiped out, like the Jedi, or a marginalized minority, like Bail Organa and Mon Mothma). And presumably, most of the people who were hardcore Separatists wouldn't be interested in "restoring the Republic" in any way, shape, or form. So while you'd still have ex-Separatists or ex-Loyalists/Imperials, ground zero for pro-Rebel sentiment would probably be people who weren't big fans of either side. Like the Nebula Front or Freedom's Sons.

(NuCanonically, this is true at least in one case: Cham Syndulla's movement on Ryloth. Anti-Separatist insurgents who also had a very bad relationship with their senator on Coruscant and, by extension, the entire Republic, and who later turn into the proto-Rebel cell on their world. More of these, please!)

JediMatteus, Vthuil and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The King of Onderon, whom Saw Gerrara restored to the throne, was a proponent of neutrality and didn't like either side. Saw might feel the same way - and pass on his attitude to his group.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    So far, it appears that Seppies weren't really part of the Rebellion. It tends to be mostly composed of either diehard Old Republic loyalists (Alderaan, Chandrila, Mon Cala, etc) or worlds that suffered greatly under the Empire (Onderon, Sullust, Ryloth).

I've always assumed that many of the more ardent Seppie worlds (Muunilinst, Scipio, Serenno, Raxus Prime, etc) probably were just as skeptical of the Rebels as they were of the Empire. To a die hard Seppie, it probably appeared to be a true civil war between differing views on the Republic/what the Republic came.

The only real concrete mention we get of the former Separatist worlds in the NEU comes from TFA Visual Guide. Apparently the New Republic's decision to not base it's capital on Coruscant helped convince a lot of them to join the new government. I assume this was more a reference to world's with genuine grievances against the Republic who hoped for reform, not world's like Neimoidia or others that truly exploited things to their advantage.

--Adm. Nick

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Diehard Old Republic loyalists describe Imperials, Nick. Have you forgotten Coruscant? :p

I think once we get into more world building, we'll see Seppies joining the Rebellion. Tarkin showed us an example of ex-Seppies becoming proto-Rebels.

I'm certain one of the things the Alliance will be is an Alliance between Seppies and the Mothmatists.

It won't be all of the former Seppie worlds -- in fact, I doubt it'll be much of them. But I mean veterans and thought leaders. The worlds come later, after Endor and Jakku, where the NR tries to show it's different from the Old Republic and Old Empire both.

I'll once again suggest keeping an eye on the upcoming propaganda book because I bet it'll tell us a lot about what the Alliance and the NR are saying about themselves, and it'll be interesting to contrast that with Clone Wars era propaganda on either side.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, as you know, the Loyalist who supported the Republic during the Clone Wars really start splitting pre-Palpatine declaring himself Emperor, as we see in ROTS.

There are ones like Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Padme Amidala, and Meena Tills who are loyal to the Republic but not the Empire that Palpatine is turning the Old Republic into, while you have other Loyalists like Wilhuff Tarkin, Mas Amedda, and others who are loyal to the Emperor's vision for turning the Republic into the first Galactic Empire.

--Adm. Nick

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not talking about senators, I'm talking about the galactic populace. Either regular citizens, or people in the military or civil service. What WEG used to call Imperials of the "Old Republic school" or WOTC calls Generationals. I think we can conclude the type definitely still exists -- consider Admiral Titus, who is rather perplexed that Captain Rex would fight for the Republic only to betray it. You know the type, good, Core World Imperials. The only kind I ever talk about.

It's a type of the generation older than the "New Imperials" like SLOANE, who have the similar law and order mentality but were too young for the Republic and only knew the Empire.

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
  14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i guess we view them all as heroes, and the empire all as evil. But maybe its not that cut and dry. But it still had to be done

15. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

You are missing Berch Teller's group from the Tarkin novel.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, I just double checked Moving Target to see if Cracken being from Contruum is mentioned. It isn't, nor is it in any of the new canon Ultimate guides. Hmm, I swore I read about Contruum being canon again somewhere, I'll keep checking. [face_dunno]

Ok, I see. I assumed you were using the term Loyalist in relation to the Loyalist committee during the Clone Wars, not "loyalists" of the Empire. I do rather hope that the Generationals become canon again, as it was a cool concept. Plus I can totally see a lot of Generalionals eventually supporting the New Republic, either out of necessity or the fact that they view it as their duty to continue in the service. Of course, I am still convinced that if Palpatine's treachery is ever revealed that these folks would be the first to turn on the old Empire and support the New Republic.

--Adm. Nick

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Rather peculiar, since it's right next door to the planet Hoth, which I seem to recall having some kind of Rebel Alliance presence on it at one point.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, yeah -- whenever I say Loyalist I mean in the American Revolutionary War sense :p

They're not yet canon in name, but there are a few signs of Generational-like characters. Baylo from "Orientation" is a good example of one (he was Old Republic through and through). The Royal Academy from Lost Stars has a bit of the Generational ethos to it -- what with Core Worlds Classical Culture being a major part of the curriculum and all. Oh, and there's that guy from Twilight Company -- the captain who works with Verge. That's actually a great example there, because there's that captain who is about service and efficiency and then there's Verge who is a new generation and a Palpatine cultist (and then Chalis is in-between -- she's part of the Court like Verge, but not a Kool-Aid drinker).

ugh, I really need to reread both Lost Stars and Twilight Company. So good.

We don't know when the cell started -- perhaps it was after the Battle of Hoth, or perhaps they were just wholly unaware of Echo Base. Part of the nature of the cell structure is not having full domain awareness, after all.

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    True, but calling it cell structure implies it at least being a part of the larger whole, despite the isolation such a structure brings. This makes it sound like it wasn't a cell so much as a completely separate organization.

20. Padawan Kenobi

Padawan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2016
    The lothal proto-rebels are also an interesting group. Ryder Azadi providing cover, the older Bridger transsmisions. It's all coming up nicely in the Adventures in Wild Space series, I recommend reading them, third part onwards got me very hooked. And I suppose I will see more of them as soon as I start The Dark, and potentialy in the last two books.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So where were Mon Mothma and the rest of the leaders during the Battle of Yavin?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I hate to tell you but Bail Organa was...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    But where was Chancellor Mothma? At sea?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sleeping in.

But seriously, she could've been anywhere. Doing anything.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Maybve the Rebels kept her somewhere safe just to make sure they wouldn't lose both their leaders in just a few days?