This is a sad, sad, day my friends.

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by El Kabong, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    You know, I used to be a total fiend for Wars figures. I've spent my fair share of time in line for the midnight Toys R Us rush just before Phantom Menace, and I've been buying them for decades now , since I was a wee tyke back in '77 (I remember my first figures, an R2 and 3P0). I was sad because I only had enough money for one, and my mom said that "we can't break up the pair, can we" and bought the other one for me.)

So it's sad day when I realize that I'm pretty much done with the line. Thing is, I haven?t bought a new Wars figure in ages now, a couple of years easy. It's only now that I'm coming to the realization that the line doesn't do anything for me.

You know, I think the tipping point was that they're too small and just don't look good. Compared to the drop dead gorgeous toys like THIS or THIS, the Wars line just doesn't thrill me anymore. (And don't get me started on the butt-ugly Harrsion Fords in the Indy range. Man, someone set him on fire and then put him out with the ugly stick!)

The other problem point is that the figures just cost too much. The store I was at the other day, just browsing the pegs, had them for 8.5 - 10 bucks. That's insane - understandable, as the global economy collapses into ruins around us - but still WAY too much.

So I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I guess I just wanted to cry on some sympathetic shoulders before moving on.
  2. crazybirdman Force Ghost

star 4
    'tis nothing new. The quality of SW toys has been crappy for a while. They just don't seem to evolve like other toy lines do. Don't spend too much time in mourning, and move on if it aint your cup o' tea
  3. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    Bingo - that's it. The Wars line hasn't evolved. Oh sure, they don't do blunders like the BodyBuilder Luke from the very first wave back in '95, but they've stagnated. And yeah, at the end of the day they're just toys, and I have much bigger things to worry about - but it still gives me a twinge at the heartstrings, ya know.
  4. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    I must be devolving, because I've decided to concentrate on going <--- backwards ['77-'85] the last few years :p.

I started collecting around the end of the run of 'The Phantom Menace' and to me the line has made leaps and bounds since then. Better sculpts, more articulation, and all things considered the price point has remained fairly level.

But there's only so much you can do at that size and you're both right it has leveled off. After almost 32 years, maybe Hasbro needs to take the line to the Marvel Legends scale. It could re-energize things a bit, assuming they could keep the price under $10.00. Of course that would mean no vehicles. Sigh. There's always a trade off! That [among other factors] is why it'll never happen. 'Star Wars' is a line that demands vehicles and you can't do them at a larger scale. Maybe if they created a separate, limited 6" inch line starting with core characters [no Bale Organas or Jar Jars] to avoid peg warmers? I dunno know, just thinking out loud.
  5. STUBRIS Jedi Master

star 4
    This is quite sad. Are you going to keep what you have or are you selling your collection? The last option is always risky because you hear tales of people re-discovering the fire years down the line and having a breakdown over the toys that once were..don't let yourself be that geek :p

I've not bought much in the way of SW this year..it's largely financial..standard figs are £7.99 in the UK...that's roughly what? $14-$15??!!
  6. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    I dont think I'll do that. Aside from that's probably WAY too much work for me to put in, selling off all the carded figures and whatnot (and honestly, I'll only see a dollar or two at most for them), if I do that, I'll probably give them to my 7 year old nephew. I might wait a couple of years for that, tho - until he can really enjoy them without destroying them.

Yeah, the pound works out to just a touch over 2 dollars, so yeah -that's about 15-16 bucks.
  7. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    They are way too much. and they are just re-packs of older figures, pretty much. I feel your pain
  8. SoonerSean Jedi Knight

star 2
    I love the original figures... I had everything issued from Star Wars to ESB and a few of the ROTJ items. I love the old figures vs. the new ones. My son is 6 and so we buy a lot of the new ones and he loves playing with them, but I don't think they're as magical as they were when I was a kid. I also don't think - 30 years from now - he'll still have a lot of them like I have my OT figures.

9. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I only pick up new characters myself, leaving large portions of each wave on store pegs. I really wanted Ahsoka, but have no desire to ever purchase another Obi or Anakin, Luke or Han. Stuff like Revan is a must get, but several different versions of Biggs Darklighter is a real stretch....:p
  10. STUBRIS Jedi Master

star 4
    Me too. Ahsoka & Rex were the only must haves from TCW line for me...and I concentrated on the McQuarrie figures from the 30th collection. My completist days are over :(
  11. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks for reminding me of another reason why I'm pretty much done - I never saw any of these stupid things. I forgot that the McQuarrie concept art figures even existed until you mentioned it, and I might have grabbed one or two . . . if they were ever on the toy shelves. Now admittedly I wasnt looking very hard in the last couple of years, so they may have come and gone without me noticing, but that's been a problem that's plauged Hasbro back to '97 when the line first relaunched.
  12. My young Padawan Force Ghost

star 1
    I was a completist until 2002. I collected every action figure released. Then I stopped for the same reasons that you did.

Here?s something to consider. When I stopped collecting action figures I switched my attention to mini busts. For what I was previously spending annually on action figures I was able to purchase five or more mini busts per year. I now have close to forty, and they aren?t packed away in a closet either. They are displayed on a nice bookshelf.

Remember how you felt when you saw an action figure that Hasbro had yet to release ten years ago? I feel the same way whenever Gentle Giant releases a mini bust character that I want. As a matter of fact, I just preordered Garindan. And I recently started collecting Indiana Jones mini busts as well.

Don?t stop collecting.
  13. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I just collect Mighty Muggs, Galactic Heroes and Force FX stuff now. Too many Repaints and repacks for my to justifying the 3 3/4 line anymore.
  14. STUBRIS Jedi Master

star 4

I've been considering concentrating all my resources on one area of SW collecting...I can't decide been Koto's or GG busts? Could any fellow collectors help me decide? What are the Pros and cons for each line?....basically: Which are cooler!!
  15. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Kotos are larger and full-figure, whereas the minibusts are usually head to waist (at least the Fett ones are). So the Kotos are taller. Kotos are probably easier to find as they usually aren't limited editions like the minibusts. Kotos normally require some assembly and they can be a Sith. I've got first & second Bobas and Jango and all three gave me a bit of a problem. (Usually tight-fitting parts that don't want to go together.) Neither is articulated so they can't be posed differently - both are definitely display items as opposed to play items. Kotos are a hard plastic so if you dropped one onto a carpet it probably wouldn't break, unless it was a small part like a Fett antenna or a lightsaber. Misibusts would probably be more prose to breakage. (I managed to snap Jango's antenna off mine. Superglue fixed it but I was still upset).

In the end I think it depends on what you prefer - a bust or full figure. If you're looking for some of the older ones I'd take a look at Ebay closed auctions to get an idea of price. I know the Fett minibusts were commanding premium prices at one point.
  16. STUBRIS Jedi Master

star 4
    Cheers Fett! Do the Koto's look as good up close as they do in pics? Are the paintjobs consistent? I'm leaning towards Koto's because, like you say, some of the GG's are a bee-atch to get hold of. I imagine the GG's would take up a lot less space though..and they probably look nicer displayed together..Hmmm decisions decisions? [face_thinking]
  17. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    The paint jobs on the Fetts are pretty good. I can't speak for the others though as I don't have them. The Jango figure can be a pain though - the figure base is actually the flames from his jetpack and they can come loose from the pack pretty easily if you move the figure. The Boba figures are better as they come on a proper base.

If you have the GG minibusts you'll probably want to display them in a case. I have the Boba and Jango (first one) in the same case as my Code 3 Slave I and they look pretty good in there. I also have a chromed Jango (first one) that's in the same case as the MR Jango blasters. I have the second Jango but it's still boxed as I don't have anywhere for it right now and I didn't want it getting broken. You can see a pic of chromed Jango with the blasters here.
  18. STUBRIS Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Again! That's a sweet looking display btw...that chrome Jango is gorgeous. Do you actually own anything SW that's NOT Fett related? ;)
  19. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Most of it is Fett-related, but I do have some clone figures as well as some of the other bounty hunters and the odd Vader and Jedi. The expensive stuff is all Fett-related though. And I have all of the adult novels and quite a few of the comics and comic tpbs.
  20. My young Padawan Force Ghost

star 1
    Most of the mini busts can easily be purchased for under $50. There are some, however, that are very expensive. Yoda (AOTC) and Darth Vader (ESB) are among those that are very expensive and hard to find. But it is easy to find the inexpensive Yoda (ESB) and Darth Vader (ROTS) if you are just looking to add the characters to a collection. Boba Fett (ESB) is also rare and expensive. Clone troopers and Stormtroopers are rare and expensive as well.

Other surprisingly easy to find and inexpensive mini busts include Darth Maul (TPM), Qui-Gon Jinn (TPM), Mace Windu (AOTC), Chewbacca (ANH), Han Solo (ANH), Obi-Wan Kenobi (ANH) and Princess Leia (ANH).

Most mini busts require very minor assembly. For example, the hand/lightsaber on the Yoda (AOTC) mini bust needs to be placed onto the wrist. Some pieces require a small peg to be inserted into a small hole. Some are magnetic. Some are interchangeable, like the weapons on the Tusken Raider (ANH) or the head on Princess Leia (Boussh Disguise) (ROTJ). I have never had a problem with a piece being difficult to assemble.

Some mini busts do not require any assembly at all. Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) (ROTJ) is an example of this.

I hope that this was helpful.
  21. STUBRIS Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks My Young Padawan. Why on earth would a PT Yoda be rarer than a TESB one? Is it really that much better or was it a limited edition? I'll look up the images & see for myself. As things stand i'm leaning towards the Koto's...I REALLY want the McQuarrie Luke/Vader.
  22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    All of the minibusts are limited editions. However I believe some edition sizes were larger than others. I'll take a look when I get home to see if my collecting books have information on edition sizes for some of the earlier minibusts.
  23. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    My books only have edition sizes for some of the busts. Check out Gus Lopez's site for a list of busts. Click on the character name to see details.
  24. My young Padawan Force Ghost

star 1
    The Yoda (AOTC) is limited to 3500 pieces. The Yoda (ESB) is limited to 15,000 pieces. Ironically, I personally like the Yoda (ESB) better. The Yoda (AOTC) does, however, look great displayed next to the Emperor Palpatine (ROTS).
  25. El Kabong Force Ghost

star 3
    So yesterday, I was at the store getting some replacement batteries when I decided to swing by the toy isle. I avoided the heartbreak of Wars, but finally got a chance to look at some of the Indy figures. It's nice to know that the Wars range isnt the only thing from Kenner suffering. At least Han looks like Harrison Ford - but these guys? Rubbish.

Sigh. Ah well.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.