main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT This is an outrage [now that I'm experiencing it too]

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Star Wars age 9, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Oh, please. That's not what I was saying at all, except in passing reference to certain posters (not you) on these boards who have demonstrated, admitted & bragged about possessing the traits of what might be described as an "apathetic millennial doofus", as you put it. I'd use different terms, but our mod wouldn't like them.

PT trashing would hardly be tolerated on the PT forum, I fail to see why such similarly obnoxious & ignorant behaviour should be tolerated on the 'Classic Trilogy' forum, particularly when so much of it boils down to criticising three films that are between 29 & 35 years old (as well as other films even older) for simply not looking as if they were made in the last two or three years. The phrase 'dated' is fast becoming an insult around here, or, at the very least, synonymous with 'poor' or 'needs to be changed'.

However, I wasn't having a go at you, so my apologies if you took it like that.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  2. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well I disagree for several reasons.
    1) Many of the "old movie tricks" are still there. For this to be accurate, ALL old effects would have to be altered and they haven't been so far.
    Yoda is still a puppet in ESB and RotJ, there are many muppets left in Jabbas palace and in the cantina.
    2) Some of the new effects are very noticeably new, esp in the Blue-ray version. The Jabba scene doesn't quite work, both in that Han steps on Jabbas tail but also that Han keeps standing so close to him. It is like he is only 1-2 inches away from Jabba. Sure that was due to the fact that they had a human there when the scene was shot but it still looks odd to me.
    3) Regardless of old or new effects, the six films don't fell like one 12-hour movie because the films themselves are episodic in nature.
    This is not a slam against any of them, it it simply how they were made. They even have an episode number.
    If you take six episodes of a TV-series and cut it together then it is likely that it won't feel like a five hour movie because each episode is just that, a self contained episode.
    Take Alien, Aliens and Alien3. They form a continuing story of sorts but cut together they don't form one six hour movie.
    Same with Star Trek 2, 3 and 4, they too form a trilogy of sorts but that still doesn't mean they will fundtion well as one six hour movie.
    Nolans three Batman films I think form a really good trilogy but that still doesn't mean they would work as one long movie.
    The three LotR films is one example that could be seen as one long movie cut into three parts.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    Here is a Star Wars joke i don't care what topic this is:
    Q:What temperature was the inside of the Taun-Taun in Episode V?
    A: Lukewarm!

4. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    There is a happy medium... I'm all for restorations that go back to source film elements... Cleaning up prints, eliminating matte lines, rejiggering transparencies -- I'm all for that.

For example look at what they're doing for ST:TNG on Blu-Ray (S2 just came out). New HD transfers from the original film elements and only add new effects where neccessary. There are no CGI ships because ILM did such wonderful models in the first place and the original film elements were still archived. THIS is the kind of treatment Star Wars deserves and IMO is properly and respectfully done -- in vast contrast to many of the offensive SE changes made to Star Wars in 1997, 2004, and 2011.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  5. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012