main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

this is canon

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Kayla', Oct 13, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    canon shmanon

2. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    The EU is fun to read for those who want it. I liked the Thrawn Trilogy and I even thought truce at baktura was ok. However, Vector Prime and the NJO is crap. No one, not even the most die hard star wars fan should read it. Just because Lucasfilm is leaning to the "sellout the story to make a buck" that star trek did dosn't mean that we should think any of the good or the bad "happend" in SW. The EU isn't really wrong or non-cannon until GL contradicts it but there is a good chance he will, so to look for spoilers in it is STUPID! Jaster Merrerl will NOT be boba fetts name. Get over it.

im sure its a big disappointment:)

3. Darth Binky

Darth Binky Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 24, 1999
    "Where did you dig up that old fossil?"

4. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    [sarcastic]Actually, I looked up the word "crap" in the OED, and EU was there:

1. excerement, 2. drivel, etc.... 9. Star Wars Extended Universe.[/sarcastic]

5. Plo_KoonGZ

Plo_KoonGZ Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2001
    yea chyren way to be impartial and a good admin at the forums EU is crap, wow if i say that will i become a mod

6. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Wow, PoKoonGZ, wonderful way to be a good poster, dragging up old flaming threads. Can I be just like you?

7. Q187

Q187 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2000
    Man GZ, you make such great contributions to the boards.

8. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Just had to save this thread. Just brought it back from the brink.

9. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Chyren:
    "The EU is crap."

LOL. You had to love the guy.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Interesting. I glossed over much of this thread, since I doubt I'll see anything new. Although it is interesting to look at how far back EU hatred goes.

For all the talk of "canon" and how sacred the words of St. George of Lucas are, I still have yet to get an answer to a simple question:

When has George Lucas EVER commented on the notion of "Star Wars canon?"

11. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Lucas: "Those stories happen outside my little universe."

That's as much as he's said publically on the matter. It should be fairly clear from that what he considers canon.

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    To him, his movies are all that he considers canon. Everything else is nice, but he makes no attempt at keeping on top of it all.

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    What I'm saying is, as much as movie purists like to pick out all of these various quotes from LucasFilm Licensing employees defining "canon," while attempting to discredit the statements of other LFL employees about the definition of "canon," the only person that can truly and decisively define what is "Star Wars Canon" has been curiously mum on the subject.

That leaves fandom to attempt to interpret Lucas' words and deeds, but they are only that: interpretations filtered through our own individual points of view.

We all know about point-of-view, don't we? ;)

14. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001

I don't think there's much room for interpretation here.

15. SlytherinHouse

SlytherinHouse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2000

Are you guys about to delete old threads? Is that why you keep bringing back these dinosaurs?

Sly

16. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Here we go again....

Some books are canon. Others aren't. The movies are. That's it. Stop getting so worked up.

17. padmeamidala55

padmeamidala55 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2001
    Ya I agree with everything that kween said, if you don't like the EU get over it, george lucas has put his approval on the EU. Plus the Eu is not Cannon.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    TK327 wrote:

I don't think there's much room for interpretation here.

How about this:
    "After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story-however many films it took to tell-was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories that I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga."
    -George Lucas

Put the two together: while George acknowledges that the EU is not the movies (DUH!) he DOES say that the EU is a valid & welcome part of the Star Wars Saga. At NO point has George Lucas EVER commented about the notion of "canon," putting us all back at Square One as far as trying to interpret what he says on the subject.

"...you're going to find that many of the truths you cling to depend greatly upon your point of view..."

19. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Much as I hate some of the crap that's been published in the EWW, I tend to consider it canon until Lucas contradicts it on film. Maybe someday after all six films are done he'll sit down and make a final ruling on what he considers fit to be an official part of the saga.

20. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Merkurian-But what you posted doesn't provide any indication that Lucas is concerned with continuity between the EU and his films(that is, unless the EU contradicts the films). What Lucas does is completely independent of the EU, as the quote I provided indicates.

Of course Lucas endorses the EU in a general sense. But his endorsement relates to issues concerning profits, not story telling.

Thanks Charlie. I can't resist.

cinescape www.cinescape.com claims that Terry Brookes never read the Expanded Universe. It also offers a few cool quotes.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>
    When asked if The Phantom Menace novelization would jive with the continuity of the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels and comics, Terry Brooks admitted that he had not read or otherwise immersed himself in the events chronicled in those books. In a stunning admission, Brooks then revealed that Lucas allegedly said "I don?t know anything about them either, and frankly I don?t care."

21. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    You guys want to see something funny? Check out what I just found. LOL

22. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    What's he going to say - "I don't give a crap about the books, games, comics or cartoons, I'm gonna do what ever the hell I want with these movies, lava pit be damned!"

Well, ok, he would obviously never word it like that, but he's not going to go on the record saying that the EU is worthless or "doesn't count" because it might hurt sales. You'll find that profit margin is the answer to most questions of why GL does or doesn't do something.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "Merkurian-But what you posted doesn't provide any indication that Lucas is concerned with continuity between the EU and his films"

Let's try this on on for size:
    "I wanted to lend, what I'm assuming is, a rather unique perspective on this topic. I have the good fortune to write for Darkhorse Comics, and I can tell you from my own experience that George dose in fact look over the comics from time to time. And although all the story points in the film are not completed, if I'm doing a story that may come into conflict with what he's planing, or if it goes against his ideals -- I will hear about it.

I've even got his faxed sign-off to prove it.

He dose not go over everything, but he is very much aware of what is going on."
    -Kevin Rubio, Dark Horse Comics, 12/03/01 TF.N Lit forum

24. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    All I have to say is that if Kevin Rubio wants to be in the publishing business, he should learn how to write a coherent sentence.

25. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Grrr. Splinched!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.