main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

This is NOT a "PG rated" board.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Porkins in a Speedo, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i don't understand why people keep saying that this is a "PG rated" board and that's why certain things aren't allowed.

whenever there is discussion about "controversial" things such as language, sex, drugs (that includes alcohol), flaming, inappropriateness, etc etc, mods and members alike start saying that this is a "PG rated" board and that's why some things aren't allowed.

does anyone else fail to see the logic in this? there are MANY things that are common in various PG rated movies but not allowed on the boards. i could give you a long list of words, phrases, figures of speech, curses, and whatnot that are not allowed on the boards, yet are perfectly acceptable in a PG rated movie. there are MANY forms of "sexual content" in PG rated movies that are not allowed on the boards. and there are all kinds of behaviors and whatnot that are acceptable for a PG rated movie, yet not allowed here on the boards.

stop saying that this is a "PG rated" board, or that something isn't allowed because this is a "PG rated" board.

i'm not here to argue about what should or shouldn't be allowed. i'm just saying that it is illogical and just plain stupid to say that the "PG rating" of this board strictly prohibits various things, yet those things are acceptable and often times common in PG rated movies.

if you want to say something is unacceptable for the boards, that's fine, but don't say that the reason is because this place is "PG rated." you're contradicting the nature of the PG rating. let me give you an example: the word "*******" is not prohibited in PG rated movies, so don't say that the reason it's prohibited here is because the boards are "PG rated."

thank you, drive thru.

2. 36nine5

36nine5 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    PG-13 then.

3. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    PG and a half. :)

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    OK, let?s not use the term PG to describe the boards. How about ?Family Friendly?? That tends to be what we call it anyway. We?re not told to make these boards PG. We?re told to make them family friendly.

Anything else you?d like to get off your chest? :p

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    saying the JC is PG rated is stupid. Whoever started that, just got it mixed up, because the site should be within the limits of Star Wars, which is PG.

at least once I thought that....

6. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree.

The idea of a "PG rated board" is simplistic and misleading. Things are more complicated.

7. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    PG-13

um, no. calling this place "PG-13" would make it even more illogical and stupid to prohibit certain things and say that the reason is because the baords are "PG-13 rated."

8. 36nine5

36nine5 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    x-rated. :p

9. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Perhaps "G-rated" is more appropriate.

10. 36nine5

36nine5 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    [edited]?! Griffz is a female! :eek:

[nelson] HA-HA! [/nelson]

:p

YJ edit: I'm sure you really meant to "World TaeKwanDo Federation." [face_plain] I told you not to edit it back in (again), yet you did, so enjoy a 24 hour vacation.

11. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I have to agree with PiaS on this one. There are a lot of things that can be considered family friendly.

And on that issue...some families have different definitions on what is acceptable discussion. What one person may consider acceptable, may be unacceptable to another. It's such a grey area in general. So why are we trying to limit it to what one person feels when everyone has their own definition to family friendly.

Just my 2 cents.

12. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Please don't discriminate against me.

Thx

13. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    And on that issue...some families have different definitions on what is acceptable discussion. What one person may consider acceptable, may be unacceptable to another. It's such a grey area in general. So why are we trying to limit it to what one person feels when everyone has their own definition to family friendly.

We're limiting things to what the site owner thinks is a reasonable level. That?s slightly different than taking an arbitrary point and moderating to that.

14. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I believe the definition I have heard most recently was "If a person feels the need to minimize a thread when their parents walk in the room, we've gone too far." Or something like that.

And 36nine5: What??

15. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    [edited] Griffz is a female!

Tsk, tsk. Haven't you been reading? :)

YJ edit: If you knew that acronym wasn't supposed to be used here, you shouldn't have copied it into your post.

YJ11 Edit: Sorry. :(

16. 36nine5

36nine5 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    I'm sorry, I just always assumed...
    [face_laugh]

17. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    So GriffZ, like what's your sign?

Wanna go find an "R-rated" board?

[image=http://www.breakingtaboo.com/img/e/naughty.gif]

18. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Using movie ratings is misleading, PG today is definitely not what PG 25 years ago was. But in truth, this discussion is just an argument in word play. Call it "PG" or "Family Friendly", that doesn't change what the policies are.

19. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    it's not "PG rated." so don't call it that.

20. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    These ratings are for movies anyhow.

Let's use game ratings. This board would fall under a "T" for teen.

Edit: You've got the guts 36nine5. [face_plain]

21. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I think I'm missing the whole "GriffZ is a female" thing in that thread. And yeah, that was bold of nine.

22. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    The only thing I can think of is that they're referring to the icon.

23. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    I think the thing about that thread was more about the use of the "dreaded acronym" than the "Griffz is a female" thing.

24. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    the rule I used to like was "If you would hear or see it on the Simpsons, it's ok here..."

25. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    You're right Pie. Saying these forums are "PG" is misleading. Gandolf used the term "family friendly". While I like that term a bit more than generalizing them as PG forums, there really isn't one catch phrase that encompasses what is appropriate for everyone here.

The fact of the matter is that we have 13 year olds (at least, that's supposed to be the minimum age ;) ) up to "old geezers" like me. I can look in community and there are threads in there that are pretty risque for a 13 year old. However, it's really about common sense. Those of us that are older should take into consideration the audience that may be here.

I believe that swearing and sexual content should be kept appropriate for a public board. With the amount of users here, not everyone is going to be happy with what is or isn't allowed here. If the owners of the boards feel something is inappropriate, ultimately, they have the final say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.