main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

This is the LAST time ...... Begin prep for EPISODE 3

Discussion in 'Archive: San Jose, CA' started by javdog, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javdog

javdog Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Ok, I've waited in line to see all the Star Wars movies (except ROTJ, cuz i was late) but this will be our final chance. Just thought I'de post some info regarding the rules that Century Theaters has regarding Star Wars lines.....

"While waiting in line:

You may begin to line up at the starting time listed below. Please locate the theater you are attending and find the corresponding line up time.
    Everyone in the line must have a ticket for one of the first three shows of the opening day of Star Wars: Episode II. No holding a place in the line for more than four people and the person in line must have all tickets in their possession.
    If anyone has driven their vehicle, it must be parked in the lot area designated by the theater manager. No vehicle camping is permitted.
    No alcohol, drugs, or unruly behavior, will be permitted. Anyone violating the law or causing a disturbance will lose their place in the line and be removed from the premises. Their tickets will be confiscated and refunded.
    No tent larger than a two person tent permitted. Maximum size is 6' W x 8' L x 6' H.
    No cooking permitted.
    No live or electronic entertainment devices will be permitted.
    "Porta-potties" will be provided.
    The opening day of the Star Wars:
    Prior to 8:30 AM, all camping gear, games, etc. must be removed from the line and stored in vehicles. Ticket holders only may be in the line; no reserving places in line for people who haven't arrived.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For more info on what how they ran it last time, here's the link:

http://www.centurytheaters.com/general/starwarsinfo.html

2. Lomic

Lomic Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Hoo yes! The time is coming. Unfortunately unlike the Ep 1 and 2 premieres, I now have a job, so not sure if I'll be participating much this time around.

I know last time Steve Dorsey orginized the beginning of the line at the Century 21-23 complex, and I hung out with him and his wife's crew. I also remember Don who has been in the front of the line for the first two premieres as well - however I know some people weren't sure if they'd be doing this line again. Some may remember myself, name of Greg - I went as Darth Maul to Ep 1 and Anakin to Ep 2, here are some pics!

http://www.geocities.com/linuxmonkey/

Well, I'll keep checking back here to see if anyone has any info, hope to see you all in line - at some point.

3. RenegadeFury

RenegadeFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    Hey, this is my first post over here. I got into a Fanforce out in Utah for Episode II. Wondering if anyone has made any plans for Episode III?

If not, I was thinking about calling my local megaplex and seeing if they have anything planned and how amenable they would be to having a bunch of people walking around in costumes, doing fight choreography and such during the first few days of Episode III.

4. ebe endocott

ebe endocott Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    Hello, I'm from the South Bay Star Wars Fan Club, we've already spoke with Steve about setting up a line at Winchester again. We were 3rd in line behind his group and Don for AOTC. Though it's in the early stages, he's started a page here. He's thinking about May 1st for starting the line. You can check out his site or our forums here for more info as it comes up.

5. javdog

Mar 29, 2005
    I remember someone set up a projector to watch the movies as well. I set up camp about 2 days prior to release and got very good seats, but I remember that morning EVERYONE RUSHED the line and I know people who had showed up just that morning of release got in right behind me!

Yeah, it was **. I hope that doesn't happen again.

Also, I remember seeing that guy LOMIC in the anakin costume at the line last time! Wow, flashback.

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I was just going to buy my tickets on-line...

7. javdog

Mar 29, 2005
    The line isn't for tickets, it's for entering the theater.

I just went to that fan club website and it is a little worrysome.

The club plans on lining up on some sort of rotating basis to get in first. Which to me means people who aren't camping out will still be getting in before people who do.

They should be doing that stuff in LA, not here.

I hope the Century theater does an even stricter policy of how many tickets one person can hold, per place in line.

I could be the 10th person in line and get in as the 50th person.

8. Lomic

Lomic Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    Rotating is a fact of life, since pretty much everyone has to work, and most of us can't do it while in-line like Steve ;) I was actually still in high school and couldn't even drive yet when I was doing my bit for the Ep. 1 line.

For the most part the mass of people there on opening day are people who HAVE waited in line quite a lot, but the entire group just usually wasn't there all at the same time. Last time I do remember a few people who I'd never seen before showing up and getting near the front of the line, and that wasn't cool, I agree.

Anyway, maybe this time we can have actual "I waited" passes, that you get punched off every day you show up (handled by the front group), just so you can't invite 20 friends to come opening morning.

9. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    See, I'm not all that worried. For Ep 2 We went prepared to camp and there was no one there. On the day we walked right into the theater, no line at all, and had our pick of seats. This was out at the Mercado 20.

10. mgmcpa

mgmcpa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    Per theforce.net, Fandango will have ROTS tickets "after April 20th". I'm hoping this means on the 20th, as I'm flying to Indy for C3 at 6am on the 21st.

Does anyone have any word from AMC's when they plan to put tickets on sale?

11. ebe endocott

ebe endocott Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    I just went to that fan club website and it is a little worrysome.

The club plans on lining up on some sort of rotating basis to get in first. Which to me means people who aren't camping out will still be getting in before people who do.

They should be doing that stuff in LA, not here.

I'm not in charge of the line nor do I have any control over what people do, but as mentioned above, people have real-life obligations and can't stand in line for 3 weeks straight, so a rotation system is and has been the way the lines were handled at the Winchester Centurys in 1997 for the Special Editions, 1999 for Episode 1, 2002 for Episode 2, and will be for Episode 3. This is not anything new, if you were in line either time before then you'd know the drill. People MUST spend a number amount of hours in the line to be allowed in for the first show. I can't speak for any other group, but as far as our club goes, not a 100(or even 50) people will showing up the day of the show and getting in without having waited. Our group will have maybe around 10 people, if not less. So don't worry about us.

12. javdog

Mar 29, 2005
    Why would I know your drill? Or even care?

I WAS there for the 99, and 2001, so don't get high and mighty. I was serving overseas in '97 while you were playing pokemon in your spare time. Besides, the SE's don't warrant camping out.

And I TAKE time off to stand in line. But maybe I won't need to this last time round. I'll just leave my dog to stand in line for me while I'm at home or work, then show up for a little while to feed him and to enter the theater. See I can do it too.

13. Lomic

Lomic Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    For most people, the line isn't about being the first person in the door. Nor is it about worrying that a few people are bastards and snuck in ahead of you. The line is about sharing a cool and unique experience with good people.

Yes, you can buy your tickets online and walk into Mercado on opening day with little waiting, those in line at Winchester will neither begrudge nor envy those who choose this route.

This isn't his drill, it's what was worked out during episode 1, because the line is about having fun. If everyone had to phsyically be in the line for 3 weeks straight it would obviously kill that spirit for most people. If you think the existing "rules" weren't strict enough, contact Steve and the theater management before the line starts, complaining here won't help, and neither will insulting Ebe. And if your dog can make pizza runs for the line if we pin a $50 and a note to his collar, I encourage him to attend :)

14. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    I called AMC Mercado and they are saying tickets will go on sale 2 weeks in advance, but that isn't for sure yet. My guess is that the AMC's will move up the date to match the Century's when they sell, so keep up on it.

The customer service number to AMC Mercado to talk to an actual person is 919-0282.

15. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    AMC Mercado still saying no at 4pm on the 14th. But, according to theforce.net headline they could turn on at any minute. Customer Service said they had not yet heard the news from Corporate to put the 12:01 tickets on sale.

I will keep monitoring them.

Fandango (and thereby Century's) are still confirming April 20th as their big day. Thankfully the day before C3 and not the day of!

16. javdog

Mar 29, 2005
    Mercado Should have them early, but I doubt you can buy them off the street.

I had to win mine for EP2 from a radio station.

Showing was at 7PM the day before, with no wait.

I'de LOVE for some gimp to try to pin something on my 60 pound Rott. lol.

17. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    I HAVE TICKETS! :)

AMC Mercado put them on sale today (April 15th) when the box office opened at 12:30pm. I was first in line and have tickets to the midnight showing (they list as May 18th at 12:01am) and also some to the lunchtime show. Night shows are currently scheduled at 7pm, 7:45pm, 9pm and later, but they said they will probably add more shows as time passes.

As of right now (12:45pm), the AMC website is not selling the tickets, so you have to go to the box office to get them.

I know, Mercado isn't as cool as the Winchester Century, but if you aren't planning to camp for a day+ to get a good seat, it is great. Line-up for Mercado at midnight usually starts around 3pm that day. Better option for working folk like me.

May the Force Be With You as you get your own tickets.

18. spdorsey

spdorsey Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Hello

I'm organizing the Episode III line for the San Jose crowd again this time. I almost didn't do it, but so many people called and emailed, so let's go out with a bang!

You may find the latest info at the following web site:

http://www.dorseygraphics.com/starwars

You may contact me using the info at that site if you have any questions or comments.

As for concerns about line swelling on the day of the show, I won't mince words - it will happen. If you are the type that will be disappointed when the groups in front of you swell from 5 to 30 people 4 hours before the show, then perhaps this line is not for you. It's totally your call. I personally plan on visiting each group in line as they show up to tell them that they may be behind hundreds of people come May 19.

Also remember that there will be at least 4 shows per screen at these theaters. that means that the 700 people in front of you on May 18 will separate out into their constituent shows on May 19. No guarantees, but I have always felt that anyone who waits in line for a week or longer will almost definitely have good seats for their chosen show(s).

Let's not start a flame war on this thread. If you have concerns, you may contact me via email from the site above. I am more than happy to explain the mechanics of the line to anyone who has questions.

We are all here to have fun. Please remember that when waiting and participating.

I look forward to seeing you all there,

-----------------------S

19. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    Century 22 tickets are on sale this morning at Fandango. All other Century's went on sale on-line yesterday, but Century 22 (digital theatre) went on this morning for the 9:30am shows forward. So, I now have my 7:10pm tickets.

The midnight first showing is not listed on Fandango yet. So, either it will go up tomorrow as originally scheduled or they are requiring you to go to the theatre. Not sure ... does anyone know?

20. spdorsey

spdorsey Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    There will not be a midnight showing of EP III at the Century 22 (if I understand your question correctly).

21. mgmcpa

Aug 21, 2001
    From Fandango, no midnight show is appearing for the Century 22 on the night of the 18th. What's up?

Isn't that the show all you guys are talking about waiting in line for?

22. javdog

Mar 29, 2005
    MGmcpa,

I gotta give you props man on the Ticket release info.

Got my midnight tickets! Yeah boyee!

But about you watching the movie a second time at the Century's, agree I do not.

Dude, Watch it at an IMAX for the second viewing. Nobody knows it showing at those theaters, so you should have easy seats.

Thanks again MGmcpa, no waiting in line for us!

23. Lomic

Lomic Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2002
    The Winchester theaters never do midnight showings, due to their proximity to housing.

24. javdog

Mar 29, 2005
    If anyone was on the fence about how good the LAST Star Wars is going to be....take a look.

7 minutes of footage from C3....Warning: you WILL get goose bumps!

http://javdog.brinkster.net/Movie.wmv

25. Laina

Laina Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2002
    The Winchester theaters never do midnight showings, due to their proximity to housing.

Which is why I grabbed midnight tickets for the Camera 12. Much closer to where I live, and because everyone forgets about Camera 12 (it isn't listed on Fandango) the crowd will be small, ensuring me a good seat. Hopefully anyway!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.