main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph This is Us - NBC's hit drama series (Spoilers for this season, including finale)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Mar 15, 2017.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Welp. I wonder what excuse gets more play tomorrow? I can't come to work because the Eagles won the Super Bowl or I can't come to work because This is Us tore my heart out.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jack’s death was pretty much as I expected it to be. Smoke inhalation after going back into the house to rescue, among other things, the dog.

What I didn’t expect was the reason Kate blamed herself—for being too emotional at the moment, as opposed to something more concrete.

And that twist at the end—I’m pretty sure the social worker is adult Tess. Which means those glasses of Randall’s are going to be in style in the 2030s.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And much more Randall to look forward too!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    When I saw this moment, I was like "oh noooo........"
    [​IMG]

Jack's death was a somewhat of a twist, but it would have been very acceptable if the twist didn't happen. Nonetheless, it was more heart breaking to see the way it unfolded. Damn this show! Just like up, it really knows how to jerk the tears from my eyeballs.

I figured that Kate didn't want Audio because she blamed herself for Jack's death and it would remind her of that. I mean, I don't think Jack would say their dog unless he saw the look on Kate's face. But, man, Jack even save the photo albums and keepsakes. Dude is superman.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This is all I had to say about that ep...

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The way they filmed Rebecca when Jack died was so heartbreakingly beautiful. Just when I think they can't come up with another way to film a death, they do.

I was emotional through the whole thing but when:

They reveal that the little boy isn't being fostered by Randall and Beth, but that Tess now is a social worker(?) because of what her parents had done, I just lost it. I wasn't expecting that twist because the time dilation hadn't gone that direction yet.

I also loved how even though they didn't say it, I got the feeling that Kate sees that Toby looks at her with so much love, see's that she's beautiful like her dad always said she was. [face_love]

I know this show is manipulating the heart strings, but I don't care. I love it!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I can't believe how good the last episode was. Great performances from the whole cast. Tonight's episode promises to be the same.

9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Not only was the latest episode written and performed well, the editors dropped actual Super Bowl footage on the show. I thought that was pretty cool.

10. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I noticed that too and thought wow they must have green screened the tv when it was shot and then just edited it in at the last second.
    It was very noticeable since it was a memorable play from the game less than a couple hours old
    Very obvious!
    Nice touch!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So last night...

*slaps Kevin through the screen* Accusing Randall of not being “manly enough” because he didn’t stop Jack from going back in the house? Really?

Dr. K showing up to remind Rebecca about her taking lemons and making “the sweetest damn lemonade I’ve ever seen” was great, as was his entire speech.

And the scene in which Rebecca tells Kate that she will spend the rest of her life reminding her that it’s not her fault. Maybe eventually that will sink in for Kate.

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    It was another great episode. =D= I felt so bad for Rebecca and the kids.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It was a great episode! A bit of a slow burn, but very satisfying. And I think our first that didn't go to current time at all??

If Mandy Moore doesn't get nominated for an Emmy, I'm gonna be ticked. She carries more screen time than any other actor in the show being in all timelines and she's so quietly amazing.

I completely agree with you on all points.
    Kevin was really out of line, but it totally fits within Kevin's personality and having just had a traumatic event. I think he probably blames himself for not being there and is taking it out on Randall.

Also, I love the backstory on the tree. Because it was kinda silly made it all the more special.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And now we have a long Olympic Break.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Only two Tuesdays (13th & 20th) until the new episode on the 27th which is better than the CW breaks that take 3-4 weeks off, then air 1 or 2 new episodes and then more time off.

Edit: Also, Kate will never stop blaming herself. Look back at a few episodes ago and listen to her conversation about being fat with the young pretty girl in the group with her and how she wants that voice in the back of her head. If she someday got skinny or stop blaming herself, the voice would go away and she wouldn't be able to function.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Atlantis Morrison! I knew Jack would do that when he saw Kate waiting on the bus stop, because he's Jack. He'd run back into a burning house so save a mouse.

Mandy Moore Reveals Why ‘This Is Us’ Hospital Scene Was So ‘Jarring’: I Didn’t Know Milo Was on the Bed

And I figured Jack to be a Bruce Springsteen guy.

This Is Us: Which Bruce Springsteen song is each character?

Oh, and the phobia about the bridge, which of course Randall would know the name, reminded me of my wife's situation when it comes to tunnels. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before going into one.

[​IMG]

Sara_Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I watched last week's episode and thought it was great. I think the season might end with Kate and Toby's wedding.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Anyone get to see the Deja episode? I thought it was really well done! The season finale is this coming week.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it looks like it is going to be the wedding

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I watched a promo for the season finale. It really looks to be nicely done.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Whomever plays Deja is a hell of a good young actress...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Finale - decent episode but it was hard to get into since my friend and I were texting each other LOST references.
    "It's purgatory"
    "It's a flash sideways"
    "Kevin spun the donkey wheel and now Jack is alive"
    "Is that why Ben is on Arrow?"
    "Kate uses Jack's ashes to protect her from the smoke monster."
    "If the smoke monster comes out of the urn, I'm gonna lose it. Jack is the smoke monster!"
    "Calling it - Frank Lapidus is the pilot for the honeymoon"

Next season
    Kevin...
    Tiny surprise he's with the cousin. I wonder why he's going to Vietnam. I assume that Jack's brother is dead and that's why Jack didn't talk about him when he was alive and the kids were younger. This leads to his drinking. It would be weird if Jack had a brother that he never spoke about that happened to live in Vietnam. Maybe re-shoots for Kevin's war movie are in Vietnam and the picture is just to throw us off?

Kate...
    & Toby? What's wrong with Toby? The depression that his parents alluded to from his first marriage comes back to battle? He's the funniest guy on the show and I know they're trying to make it feel like real life, but anyone but the funny man! I guess it'll be neat to see Kate take care of Toby instead of it always being the other way around.

Randell...
    & flash forward Tess. Who are they not ready to see? Episode makes you think it's Deja, but at this point it could be the other daughter's grave or the mother in a psych ward or something else horrible that my brain goes to - a la worst case scenario game.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  23. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I hope Kevin is going there to maybe explore Jack's past. I think it would be interesting to learn more about Jack's time there. Jack said he was a mechanic. I always thought there was more to his story then that.
    I look forward to seeing where things go for Kate and Toby.
    The flash forward with Tess and Randall is certainly interesting. It makes me wonder if they adopted Deja and the one they were talking about was her.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I finally was able to catch up on the series, and since the season finale aired about a week or so ago, I'm not going to use any spoiler tags.

Yeah, the season finale had alot of "LOST" feels to it as it had "flashbacks," some "flashforwards" and an alternative reality. However, unlike "LOST," This is Us feels like they have a handle on the story and know how the story ends.

I wasn't sure if Kate was going to go through with the wedding, especially when Kate realized that Toby wasn't in any of her dreams. And that's one of the things the show does so well; it sets up a happy moment but then pulls the rug out underneath you. However, obviously, before the show ends in a flashforward, we see Toby lying in bed in a fetal position and Kate trying to comfort him.

Yeah, it was a surprise to see Kevin with Beth's cousin in that flashforward, mostly because when we cut to that scene it wasn't realized it was a flashforward. At least we see that Kevin didn't falloff the wagon as he appears to be sober. It would make sense that he's going to Vietnam to try and learn more about his dad and his lost uncle.

As for Randall and Tess, I felt like the show was hinting that they were going to see Beth because the scene cuts to Beth. But, of course, that could be some misdirection.

I did like the "Worse case scenario" game Randall and Beth had. My wife and I do something like that when were faced with various crisis. It does have a calming effect and gets things out in the open.

As for Deja, yeah the actress that plays her is great. As for the character, I don't like her "lemonade"/"Carrie Underwood" turn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sara_Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Seems like the show is setting up that in the future scenes, Randall is in essence the patriarch of the family which is a good thing.