main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

This long before TPM...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The_Wizard_of_Ozzel, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Wizard_of_Ozzel

The_Wizard_of_Ozzel Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    "Now the fun begins..."

I was thinking - we are about two and a half years out from a brand new Star Wars trilogy. A series of movies that we have not yet been introduced to. The possibilities are endless. The last time we were remotely close to this was leading up to The Phantom Menace.

So, I thought it would be interesting to look back and see what we knew (or maybe more entertaining - what we THOUGHT we knew) about Episode 1 at a similar time. This might give is an idea of the kind of information that could be available this time around. My quick math says that we would be looking back to NOVEMBER 1996, a few months before the release of the Special Editions.

What did Episode 1 look like at that time?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It looked a lot better in 1996 then it does now.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As far as what we thought we knew...my best memories of that are from watching the Bill Moyers interviews on the box set VHS tapes of the OOT. Lucas talked a bit about the prequels there, and he mentioned that we would find out where Anakin came from, who his wife was, what factors caused him to fall to the Dark Side, and how Obi-Wan fit into all that. There was enough said, or not enough said depending on how you look at it, to make one think that there was a possibility of an Anakin/Obi-Wan/then-nameles Mrs. Skywalker love triangle. That was speculated upon ad nauseum on TF.N at least between TPM and AOTC, not sure about before TPM because I only lurked then and not much. I will always be thankful that Lucas chose not to go that route.

The SEs: from the ads at the time, they were definitely aimed at those of us who were then in our 20s and who had seen Star Wars on "the big screen" (quoting the advertisements) and wanted the experience again. I did not think at the time of any relationship to the upcoming prequels but now it seems obvious.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure I was watching Star Wars back in 1996...

6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I wasn't born yet. :_|

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Wait, you weren't even born in 1996? Wow! Just... wow! You must be having the time of your life right now!

As far as I can recall, they didn't announce the coming of the PT until 1997, after the SE.
    Do I recall incorrectly?

Star Wars is full of mysteries
    /LM

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember that before the SE release, we knew we were getting a prequel before the turn of the century but did not have a time frame.

9. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Can't remember the exact timeframe, but I still remember discussing with friends in high school an article stating that Charlton Heston was going to play Yoda and some other stuff such as Anakin being a kid.

10. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I actually want to say that Lucas first announced that he would be doing the PT definitively in 1994, but I can't remember when they said it would be coming out in 1999.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Another wow! I didn't know anything about that until after the SE releases. I guess my learning about it coincided with them announcing 1999 as the year of Episode I. I'm pretty sure they did that in 1997.

"Always in motion, the past is"
    /LM

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    =D= Best line of the day!

13. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    The thing this time around, however, is that the slate is essentially clean. Before, we were all able to speculate what the PT was going to be like and how that led into what happened in the OT. I think this allowed people to create their own backstories of how they wanted the PT to be (and led many to be disappointed that it wasn't what they were expecting or thought it would be) because they knew what the end result was.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I watched ESB when the SE was released, but I never even heard of TPM until it came out. Then i went crazy with joy!

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  15. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I didn't start to get really pumped about the Prequels until 1998. I was still high off of the Special Editions (didn't care for the changes, but it was nice seeing the Trilogy on the big screen again), was out of the Army and was going to college and working 3rd shift at night. I remember going to Walmart at midnights to get groceries and pick up those old Power of the Force line of action figures, back in those pre-Ebay dark ages when I had to actually hunt for goodies! I'll never forget seeing the STAP teaser figure at Target in late 1998, and it finally hitting me that this was, for sure, coming.

16. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It looked something like this:

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    First official announcement was in Variety, October 4, 1993. GL had effectively committed himself to doing it the previous year.

Back then it was initially intended that all three would be shot back to back, with Episode I released in 1997, the other two in 1998 & 1999 (like LOTR).

18. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I vaguely remember this. I was 9 years old when TPM came out so it's kinda blurry. I do strongly remember seeing the OT in theaters for the SE. Also remember the Lucas interview on PBS. My dad had taped it on the VHS...i probably watched it 20 times.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I still have the "Mythology of Star Wars" interview between Lucas and Bill Moyers that I taped off PBS, but that was in 2001 or so. It had footage from TPM as well as the originals.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  20. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    Wow. Thanks for correcting. I thought it was 1994, but 1993, wow! Almost 6 full years before the release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.