main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

This may sound weird, but does anybody else do this?

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by dinoX, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    When listening to star wars music or watching certain parts of the movie, do you get sad and feel like you are going to cry? Like not sometimes out of sadness, but of excitement and anticipation? Like right before seeing the new ones in the theatres, I almost cried...and at the end of Return of the Jedi, I almost cry when Luke is lighting vaders armor on fire on the moon of Endor.

Just wondered if anybody else besides me got like that. [face_love]

2. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I'm just like that. Certain parts of the movies make me really sad. The music, too. It's just really powerful stuff. To me, at least.

3. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    John Williams has a long history of making me cry in movies. It started with the first one I ever saw in the theaters - ET - which I distinctly remember seeing and the remember that I bawled all the way home.

Superman's music made me cry when I was very young as well. The beginning, when he saved Lois Lane from the helicopter, and the end. Years later I realized it was John Williams' theme - not my Dad's hypothesis that my huge crush on Superman had led me to cry out of jealousy when he saved Lois.

Williams' SW scores have at times left me sad or in the case of Duel of the Fates - wanting to kick some serious butt. But in the films themselves - his work is subtle and I have no doubt the tears in my eyes of Shmi's death were due not only to the acting, but Williams as well.

Now that I've sufficiently embarassed myself I'm going to class.

4. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I know what you mean, Starburstlvr. ometimes the music has more effect than what's happening on-screen.

5. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Music soundtracks are intended to have high emotional impact. Think for a moment: Duel of the Fates playing while Maul and Qui-Gon go at it head to head. Feel your heart quickening? Sure you do. Now... try to imagine the same scene - - without the score!

Tough to do? Is it devoid of emotion and sterile? Two guys going at it with lightsabers and no music - - it just takes the intensity down a few quantum levels. Absolutely.

No need to be embarrassed. Your emotional buy-in is exactly what the music was meant to do. John Williams would say " mission accomplished."

6. hope-in-hell

hope-in-hell Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    While i appreciate that certain films are able able to bring out strong emotional impulses in people, i fail to see how the 'Saga can do this, unless of course you are socially inept, have no friends, talk to action figures, have never had any contact - AT ALL - with a female and generally hang around public toilets.

7. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    You're right, Hope. Sorry I was off topic slightly. The sadness part lends itself to the emotional buy in you feel for the charaters. I think Dino has nailed it... it's quite sad to see Vader's suit getting burned as per Jedi custom, with Luke and Vader now reconciled. It's a gut wrentcher. Valid feelings all around, people.

8. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Originally Posted by hope-in-hell

While i appreciate that certain films are able able to bring out strong emotional impulses in people, i fail to see how the 'Saga can do this, unless of course you are socially inept, have no friends, talk to action figures, have never had any contact - AT ALL - with a female and generally hang around public toilets.

Wow. Somebody without feelings. I weep for you and your baseless and generalized opinion on the situation. Your kind IMHO are not welcome here.

9. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    In response to Hope-in-hell's comment. I find it hard to believe that a saga wrapped so deeply in myth would not strike some emotional chord. I'm even more surprised to find someone who posts so frequently on the TFN message boards implying such things about SW fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.