main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson This Meeting of the Backdrop Committee is now in Session...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, May 10, 2006.

1. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    IF...

...we are going to build a backdrop for photo-ops that will be completed and useable for the July Battlefront II competition, then we need to get the details out of the way so that construction can begin in June.

...we are building two or more backdrops in time for Howl-a-ween, then we need to get details out of the way and set up a priority ranking so that the "better" ideas (example: where two or more of our costumed members can stand and pose for pictures) get done first.

REMEMBER, PLEASE...

...that these backdrops are NOT movie sets! We want them to look good, but let us not lose ourselves in the detailing. They need to be portable, easily assembled/disassembled, as they cannot be left in place at night.
    Cat has offered us TEMPORARY storage at her and Jake's garage, but we may have to rent a storage locker some time down the road.

These are the only ground rules I can think of, the rest of the details now depends on everone's input...

2. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    As far as backdrop "locales", the two main ideas so far are the Emperor's throne room on the Death Star II, and the carbon freezing chamber. Any other ideas for "locales"? Tatooine? Endor?

What is good and bad about these ideas? It's feedback time!

3. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Here a couple more ideas for backdrops:
    -aerial view of Coruscant (i.e. the buildings, not the planet)
    -Naboo scenery
    -Lars homestead (though no one really has costumes that go with this)

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Well of the 6 films lets thing of what locations are the most recognizable and most use throughout the films. This is all IMHO

Ep1 Tantooine or the Naboo power generator

Ep2 Corascant senate chambers or Genosis Arena

Ep3 Mustafar, Tanative IV

Ep4 Falcon, Death Star, Tantooine, Tanative IV

Ep5 Falcon, Hoth, Dagobah, Carbon chamber, Super Star destroyer

Ep6 Falcon, Endore, Death Star II

5. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Here is a view of the floor I was thinking about making, but it would also look like a cool wall, and easier if it was a wall as we coul dmake it out of large sheets of styrofoam with rope light in between the sheets

[image=http://devan1.tripod.com/Pics/CARB1.JPG]

post your reference pics!

I also really like the idea of the death star viewscreen, and emporers window

6. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    damm you tripod!

http://devan1.tripod.com/carbon.htm

7. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    here is a wall teplate:

[image=http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/download/DeathStarCIII/Walls_pics/WALLround_Large_200.jpg]

8. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    here is the View of the Death Star 2 orbiting the planet to get a clear shot of the Rebel's Base:

[image=http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/clock.jpg]

9. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    yet another perspective...we could use a Wilhuff....

[image=http://gwiezdne-wojny.pl/grafika/2005/kwi/CommandCenter1.jpg]

you know..we could actually do this one...with false walls and lights and stuff...this would be really cool.

10. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    The wall (with red lighting behind it ) and the death star screen are awesome, they got my vote!

If Damian has his Biker Scout up and running we should build a lifesize speeder! Or just litter the ground with ewok parts [face_devil]

11. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    The biker SHOULD be ready by then (I really hope it is). If you want Ewok parts ask Jack for some unused "fur", he might have some.
    Or maybe even Lukes hand still holding the Skywalker saber, or we can have a game.... find Vaders limbs.... J/K. Beating a Jar-jar is always a good game also. Sorry, odd mood today.

As far as the backdrop, anything will work.... it's all just going to make the whole group look better and more impressive.

Did we ever get a roll call as to who was going to show for the 3 nights?

12. PELATRIN

PELATRIN Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2006
    Hello Backdrop Committee,

I did talk to thatsMISTERwookiee a little about the back drops at the last meeting. I know I may be way out of the lope, but I thought I would give a little feed back on the back drop ideas. I like everything that people have said. With the right amount of money and time and some skill I know most if not all could be made. I would love to help anyway I can. I did a little drawing of a star war-ish window. I know the emperor?s chamber window is way too big to make. I feel maybe we could scale it down and still people would know what it is. But hal9k1 had a very good point. We can do anything as long as people know what it is at first look. Can?t have people twisting the head back and forth trying to figure out what there standing next to. With that we really must find a look that is clean, cheep and able to move. I know you all know this. A 2x4 wood set backing with thin plywood that can be torn down and put back up is really what we must find. I have a truck and I have many tools. I have some skill in making things. Below are a few links to some of my Ideas. And what I have made.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/setforfanforce.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/nopaint.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/withpaint.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/setpeace.jpg

Peace Pelatrin

13. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Come to think of it, why can't we build several of these? They don't have to be wide, just at least 6 feet tall or so. Still impressive if one of us are in front of it. Our own areas if you will.

This one (Mugens) would look fantastic if Dustin was standing in front of it either at the beginning or end of the "Star Wars" section. Greeting Kids or the last thing they see as they leave our section.
    A La "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan, we meet again at last...." Saber all a-glow?. It would be, to say the least, quite an impressive sight.

Jack could have part of the Falcon, Frankie maybe a few plants from Flushia, Criss, Kamino, etc. Not great suggestions but you get the basic idea.

As long as they are taller than wider they could be built with three painted 2X4 sheets (or 2X3), just placed on a base and screwed in. This way they could be broken down much smaller and easily transported. Lighting effects could be easily added.

Just a thought.

14. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    If Chewie is going to be there, we might need a bit more than 6 ft high...

Also, I agree that anything immediately recognizable will be best. After all, it is most fun for the people coming by when they can recognize the locale easily even if they are only the most casual Star Wars fan.

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    I think Chewie needs his Falcon chessboard! Hopefully no one will get their arms ripped off.

Those are some awesome dea Pelatrin, but remember the requirement, they must be kinda flat (much like the standees) to not interfere with the flow of the crowd. Last year we had thousands of kids and people flow through there and the zoo keeps contstantly trying to keep them moving, but we couldnt hlp but cause bottle necks with our awesomness!

But also, since we were so awesome, I totally see some other group trying to upstage us, so thats why wee need a cool recognizable backdrop amoong our posters, banners etc. Here are my faves

1. death star wall (Vaders home I know Im biased)
    2. star field with background battle
    3. Emporers window

Let me call Viviana to the zoo and get mroe specifics and 100% confirm we are going to have the same space as last year

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    An excellent idea! Let them know that we are definitely interested in coming back.

Are we also going to do the Children's Hospital again?

17. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm up for both (OK, I say that now but If I remember I was quite "Done" by the second night last year) [face_sick]

But if we are invited back to the childrens hospital I will show, that' was the MOST Important thing we did that season, IMHO

18. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    You know..it wouldnt be that hard to make the chess board...I have seen the injection molded birdbaths for youre front or back lawn that looks similar...with some paint a cover and some love...there we go!

19. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I definitely like the idea of a star field with a battle and/or the Death Star, etc. Something similar to the backdrops on the classic Star Wars posters.

20. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I think a scaled down version of the emperors death star window would be the best bet. I also really like the starry backdrop idea because it is universal!

I alkso do agree that taking them to the battlefront 2 event is a bad idea........

21. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    So the star field background or the Emperor's window seems to be the two favorites.

I would like to have one of them done by the Battlefront Tourney. That DOES NOT mean we have to use it there...

22. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    so when and where do you want to start on it, have the first official set building party.

23. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    We have four weeks (approx) before the June Meeting. I figured the whole idea of this thread is to get all the talk about designs and such hashed out and decided on by the next meeting. Then we can get down to the nuts and bolts of building these "puppies".

24. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    "Bad Idea" - as regards to height of backdrop, ITT may not let us use it, the game players may not like it, or is it something else.
    You may be right about the bad idea, Chris, I'm just after a more specific explanation.

25. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    kind of curious myself, is gamestop wanting us to be there in a specific entertaining and support position for the event, or just to hang out and partake in the festivities, because the backdrop would go a long way to assit us if we are in an actual support position for the event, not that I have an opinion one way or the other, I am happy either way, but I am curious just the same.