Tucson This Meeting of the Backdrop Committee is now in Session...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, May 10, 2006.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    The more I think about this, the more I like this as our top priority backdrop. We can't use the words, "STAR WARS", for legal reasons, can we? But the starfield would be generic enough for any of our character costumers to use. Plus, I see, I tell you, brothers and sisters, I see up in the right hand corner, a hemisphere of a small moon, no, wait, that's no moon, it's a space station, you can tell by the (fiber optic) lights in the hanger bays. I have a vision! I have a GOOD feeling about this. This is doable!
    As far as the various Death Star locales, right now my preferences are running in the following order;
    1. Death Star wall/hallway
    2. Death Star command center w/viewscreen
    3. Emperor's throne room
    The hallway would be the easiest one of the three to do, and if we "rigged" a blast door on a third panel (perpendicular to the wall panel(s)), we could have Vader face off with Obi-Wan (Jake), or have the kids "face off" with Vader for a picture.
    What is right and wrong with these ideas? Keep the discussion going!
  2. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    I live all of these ideas.. so hard to decide.. I am however worried about the cost.. any ideas on how we are going to afford to make this. total excitement about doing it though. :)
  3. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    Styrofaom and plywood arent that expensive an dmy folks have a wood pile I can get the 2x4's from
  4. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    There could be a couple of planets toward the left side and at this time, depending on the cost, the Death Star could simply be painted on.
  5. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    Can Mugen confirm whether we are to mingle or if we can bring a table/beackdrop cause this woul dbe a great event for recruiting since its all star wars fans! We coul dhave the back drop and the two standees I have on either side so in very picture you see somehting saying TFF
  6. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    I am thinking that our presence alone would be good for recruitment...because we plan to make the backdrop as tall as the Wook in all his glory...correct? We are not gonna have the ceiling space for that..I'll ask Joe, but I think it will be a nice jesture but a no go...we could possibly have a table with fliers and pics and stuff..but let me run it by Joe.
  7. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    #1 reason is dragging that out possibly damaging our work for a few hours of display.

#2 reason the more impotant to me is I would like us to NOT rush this so we can have a higher quality backdrop.

#3 reason is we want to make it large scale and they may not want us to use it because it will take up too much room.
  8. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    all these seem like very valid reasons to me. Understood.
  9. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    All good points, Chris. Thanks for the specifics.
  10. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    talked to Joe, and he said he dont see why we cant have a table set up with fliers and pics and a banner. So its a go on the table set up.
  11. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a quick estimate. Each 4x8 panel would run about $15. That includes 1"x2" support pieces around the back side of the panel, plus support pieces for the bottom so it could stand upright.
    This price does not include paints or anything else we may need.
  12. cathiecat Force Ghost

star 4
    excellent!! Dustin can use your table once again. Dustin said Chris is checking on the banner this week.. or did I hear that wrong... and we need to make sure the foam board of events we made is ready to be used, plus the scrapbook, which is currently on my kitchen counter. We can make some fliers up and start getting those put out at gamestop.

speaking of ... Frankie, will Joe let us put the fliers in the gamestop stores now.. or does he already have his own fliers going out.. and if so are we mentioned in the fliers.. I know March of Dimes sent out their own fliers, but we were listed in it.

13. PELATRIN Jedi Padawan

Hi everyone,

I know the scale of the emperors throne room is to big to make. I did a quite drawing and showed it to the group, I guess it sucked badly because no one said anything lol. So I did a little more work on it and I know it?s just a start. The window is not right but it?s just for scale. If the group would like I will make a scale model of the set and how we could get the star field behind the windows. But if no one like this plan I will not make the model. The model will be made to a one inches scale. I have a link to a better quick drawing of what it may look like.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/WINDOWSTARWARS.jpg

If anyone does not like what it looks like ripe into it.

pelatrin peace out
  14. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/WINDOWSTARWARS.jpg]

I like it,but I think there are too many windows on the side panels..or could it be that they are too big?..not for certain but they dont look right somehow, but everything else looks great..we might want to make the step a little bigger so Vader wont fall off...also we could implement floor lights on the runner, and we could deff use the stars on the outside onf the windows. Great Job!
  15. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Just a thought, making the frame out of tubing (like a tent frame) and the backdrop out of stretched canvas for easy storage and tansport.
  16. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/clock.jpg]
    I like the idea of the Emperor's window in the middle of the wall panels. Frankie is right, all those windows on the side panels make it look too "busy". And the floor panel has got to go. Will, we are going to have kids posing with Vader and in front of Vader. The widest that floor panel could be is 2.6 feet. Hardly room enough for Vader to move around on, let alone the risk of kids tripping trying to stand to the side or in front of Vader. The flooring LOOKS great, but at this stage it is really too impractical to keep.

Also, we could use old blankets to protect the panel fronts when we store them, so keep a lookout for old blankets.
  17. PELATRIN Jedi Padawan

Hi you all,

Thanks for the feedback. I have a new quick diagram of a top shot of the set that may help show how much space there will be on the stage and as for the window cut out on the side they can go or replace them if you like. I hope this helps and if the group would like I still can make a one inch scale model.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/WINDOWSTARWARSTOP.jpg

Peace out ...Pelatrin
  18. PELATRIN Jedi Padawan

I wish we could find a backdrop like this one. would be very cool to have people stand next to ...found this pic on the web. dream dream, till later.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/sd_sithduck_lg.jpg

Peace out Pelatrin
  19. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/pelatrin/sd_sithduck_lg.jpg]

NOW THATS WHAT I'm TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!!!! But it has a sheen to it and the lights at the zoo will cause a glare...wonder if there is a way around it...maybe screens(like they use in movies) for the lights in our area?
  20. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    My boss can print us out any scene in any movie we want to whatever scale we want.........The only problem will be cost! I would assume a backdrop like that would run in the excess of $2000!
  21. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    YIKES!!! Ok, pvc, wood, fiberboard, and styrofoam will do... [face_hypnotized]
  22. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    She come with it? =P~

23. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_monkey] I would just like it known in public that I didn't say it, I thought it but didn't say a word. [face_pig]
  24. Mugen Jedi Master

star 4
    so are we gonna do this? I am in, I have some stuff, and know where to get certain items....just need to know if you all want to get the backdrop complete for the Battlefront II event?
  25. thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    The whole idea behind this thread is to get most everything hashed out by the June 10th meeting, so that at the June 10th meeting we reach a final consensus on what we are doing and can then commense with the physical labor end of the backdrops.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie