main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson This Meeting of the Backdrop Committee is now in Session...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by thatsMISTERwookiee, May 10, 2006.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I am just putting a reminder up that Friday morning and Saturday morning of this week a few of the members are coming over to work on the backdrops. Anyone interested in seeing them, or helping out, by all means come on by.. PM me if you need a phone number or directions to the house.

2. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey Brian (the mastercaster) graciously offered a huge Death star he already has half painted! It was made from one of those big lamp post bulbs like you see at apartment complexes. Ive seen it and it looks great, has the radar dish and everything

3. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Having perused all of the Death Star scenes from ANH, I can safely say that the lighting portals are accurate for the Death Star hallways. In the movie, they appear to be about 10 feet high. We could scale them down to 8 feet. They sometimes appeared in groups of two or three, sometimes singly.
    As far as the blank wall panels, they don't have to all be the same "cookie cutter" design. They sometimes had different panels on them, but nothing elaborate, simply functional.

If you're still planning to do the Death Star hallway in time for Howl-a-ween, let me know. Would be nice to see some discussion on the hallway panels if they're going to be done in time.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    is this for the original panels or for the extra panels.

5. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    The star field panels, the death star can light up from the inside!

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    can he bring it over tomorrow so that they can look at it with the boards.

7. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    As of noon today, the starfield panels are finished. Completed. Victory is ours.

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    So.. what is the plan for the 9th and the other backdrop panels.. is this still something we are moving forward with.

9. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Anyone take pictures? I'd love to see how they turned out.

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    They took a couple with Jack's cell phone camera.. don't know if those will be posted or not.. I don't have a digital camera.. so I can't get them online fast.. but I will take photos and as fast as I can.. have them developed, scanned and posted.. unless someone else beats me to the draw.. which would be great if they did ;)

11. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    We got a housewarming gift certifacate to Home Depot, so we are going to buy the wood for the hallway panels today or tomorrow.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    kewl.. You mentioned that you had some work issues come up for the dates we selected for working on the backdrops.. so do we need to reschedule the dates for making the new backdrops. Just let me know, I have a list of about three folks to give a call to and try to get their help, so I want to give them the correct date, and where to show up to work on the panels.

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, anyone that wants to come over to my folks' house to build on 09/09/06 is welcome, Ill be there early (730-8ish), and can build until approximatly 430. the address is 4300 W. Rae Circle. Lotsa tools and a table saw are available.
    Take Ina from I-10 to Oldfather. Go north, and take a left at Mars. Take your second left onto Rae Circle and its the hosue on the southeast corner of the island of houses.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay. I am hoping Jake and I drive over for a while..that is the plan.

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Well, I got two panels completely framed off. Then I ran out of wood, and it got hot. Ill finish the other one tomorrow maybe, and we worked out the light bar pattern.

Anyone have any recommendatins for the thris panel? I dont want to do all three the same.

16. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    You could rig the third panel at 90 degrees to the other two panels (sort of a backward "L"), and make it look like a closed blast door. The design would add stability to the set up panels, plus a closed blast door should be easy to fabricate (a sheet of foam, some 1x6 as the outer frame of the door).

A big heads up. Be sure to use primer on the masonite when it's time to start painting.

17. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    NEED THESE DONTATED TO FINISH THE DEATH STAR BACKDROPS:

I have reached my financial limit, and we still need:

Paint (primer, and grey)
    rope light. Two white, one red
    frosted plexi-glass, or plastic, or even large sheets of paper
    misc. button and atatchements, for some control panels

18. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Unfortunately I have spent waaaaayyyy too much money on my upgrades to help out but like I have said if someone picks up the paints I can do it really quickly. We still have a couple rollers with roller heads and a pan we just need a gallon of either flat or semi-gloss interior paint which runs around $12 a gallon at wal-mart. For now we can simply use white parchment paper or even wax paper for the slots. I would suggest tirrue paper but I think it will be too thin. I am sure someone has some rope light laying around.........what happened to the red rope light that we used at Battlefront?

-Chris

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    as far as I know that was not our rope.. check with Mugen on whose it was

20. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    This s the reason I wanted the grey death star hallway, so vader stands out.

[image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/finalckinganhVader1.jpg]

21. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005

On the frosted plexi-glass or plastic(prefered, probably cheaper, same effect), what size sheets and how many?
    Primer- We have some black primer left over at Cat's house, you're welcome to it.
    Grey- What shade of grey? On a grey scale of 0 to 10, 0 being white and 10 being black, I would say you are after a grey around 7 -7.5, maybe an 8. What do you think? The walls were dark, but you are correct, we do want Vader to stand out from, not blend into, the wall.

22. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005

I agree, iw as even thinking a subtly blue grey or bue steel but the shade I want to shoot for is aruond a 7 or 8 like the pic above.

The sheets can actually be broken up they dont have to be huge. I just need something transparent, but frosted

23. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Next year...........

http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/C3W/Pre04C5.asp

24. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    OK, I am planning on being at my folk's house on Sunday October 8th and Monday the 9th if anyone wants to come lend a hand.

We need one more piece of masonite for details, and light sources. The DSG used track lighting. Im game for whatever can be provided.

Here is a pic of the backdrop Bill made. Im going to try and make mine so they can be used together.

[image=http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g167/AviatorVader/2006-09-23%20Cactus%20Con/0473.jpg]

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    On sunday If anyone wants to give me a ride there I am game to hold stuff still while others hammer and cut on it or whatever else...