main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Wow. That's just...wow. That's like a gangsta wannabe.

He would have had to seen only the last twenty minutes, because the interview and the Kryptonite scenes pretty much refer to it.

[​IMG]

His body is so hard that he has to be careful to make sure that no one who bumps into him, won't walk away with a broken arm, or a dislocated shoulder. At full strength, he cannot feel bullets hitting him. He can withstand subzero temperatures and depending on his power levels, can survive the sun. It takes an intense blast of heat vision to burn him. He can be cut by it as shown in "Final Crisis: Legion Of 3 Worlds" when Superboy-Prime put a hole in his right hand. In terms of being punched, as I said, it takes a lot to really start affecting him.

[​IMG]

This was his now infamous fight with Doomsday, back in 1992. The fight was four and a half hours, across three states. Multiple blows were exchanged, he was hit with a lot of tempered steel, slammed into the ground a few times and blown up a few times. Just before reaching Metropolis, his vision started to blur and his hands were hurting. A good chunk of the reason that he died, was that the solar energy which gives him his powers, was being drained through continuous use. At that point, the Post Crisis Superman, had never really gone the distance while under a yellow sun. As a result, he was burning through the solar energy more than he was replenishing it. By the time the fight ended, he was not as powerful as he normally was. This was a fight without Kryptonite, red sunlight and magic involved. In his second fight with Doomsday, despite having a different strategy, he wound up breaking his right arm fighting Doomsday. Prior to that fight, he did fight the Eradicator who had burned his face to the point that his eyes were swollen shut. In the years since this and prior to the recent reboot, he had absorbed enough sunlight that it took a lot more to inflict injuries on him.

As to concussions, a Kryptonian's biology is different with sunlight and thus their body's natural healing ability is faster.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll interject here and mention that during the hardcover novelization (The Death and Life of Superman), Superman does wonder about the possiblity of being concussed during his fight with Doomsday.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've been a very ardent defender of this film, so it's not a case of hidebound conservatism that prompts me to say the Zimmer theme is not as iconic. It's just an opinion that's probably also true.

DarthBoba and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I also forgot to mention that in his first fight with Lobo during "Day Of The Krypton Man", he also took a nasty beating complete with a black eye and a swollen face.

In the Blue Box set, it's stated that though there were other versions of the Superman theme, it was Williams who really became iconic. So much so that the theme literally says, "Superman!". The fact that said box set sold out of three thousand copies quickly is testament to it. That it was given an additional three thousand because of high demand is just the icing on the cake.

5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    What he can take in the comics is of little use to me, as the filmmakers will probably make up their own mind about it, and the filmverse is its own thing separate from the comicverse. I'm not familiar with the mythos outside of the Reeve films and 90s and 2000s television, but isn't it pretty rare for a Superman story to have Lois know Clark's secret from pretty much the start of the story? One can surmise that they're taking liberties with it. Though the years of lore across different versions and mediums does give us an idea as to how to ballpark it, so thanks for taking the time to give me some examples from the history.

The concussion part at the end of my comment wasn't really a specific reference to this film, but to action flicks in general. But thanks for addressing that as well. :p I was referencing the obligatory fist fight at the end of action films, where all the wounds and fatigue our protagonist and antagonist have amassed up to that point usually wears off into irrelevance, and they exchange jabs and kicks to the face for 10 minutes. Usually while things are blowing up around them, but they don't care because they have a score to settle, and the audience has to get its pay-off. See: every John Woo movie in existence. :p Case in point: at the end of Mission: Impossible 2 our male leads kick each other to the face wearing biker boots and smash rocks in each other's heads. Then they come back for more.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes, but it was done very recently in Smallville.

And, even though it's not a part of the New 52 version of continuity, I can actually see it catching on to the point that it becomes ingrained in most retellings of the mythos.

heels1785 likes this.
  7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It just makes more sense that Lois knows. Also the idea that the people of Smallville -- Pete Ross, perhaps Lana Lang and all the kids (and their parents) who saw Clark do special stuff -- know, or strongly suspect, that Clark is Superman makes the story more realistic and more interesting. They don't disclose his identity because they owe him debts of gratitude for saving their lives.

Furthermore it raises future story possibilities, because what happens when a villain applies pressure to a resident of Smallville, or Lois for that matter, to give up the secret? Are Clark's friends justified in disclosing his identity when faced with torture, or worse, from the likes of Luthor or Metallo?

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, the film is its own thing. But in general, Superman doesn't feel pain the same way we do, which is consistent. And yes, this is the first time that Lois knows from the get go. However, "Secret Origin" was the first origin retelling that had Lois actually realize that Clark was pretending to be meek and mild mannered, though she didn't know why. "Lois & Clark" had her find out at the end of season two. Much sooner than normal.

9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    No, it wasn't. Yes, she knows before he adopts the moniker of Superman and the classic costume, but she only finds out in the final season, and she was introduced in the fourth. She goes six years without knowing that Clark is "The Blur".

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, fair point. I was just thinking in terms of the fact there was never a period where Smallville had the classic "glasses!Clark/Superman and Lois" dynamic.

But I suppose they did, just without the glasses and "Superman".

Life likes this.
  11. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Personally Lois knowing Clark = Superman is something that I really like. Personally I'd like it if Man of Steel 2 even had Perry pulling a Lucius Fox circa Batman Begins and kinda knowing Clark is Superman but for plausible deniablility not pushing it.

I mean nearly all of Clark's generation in Smallville probably have put two and two together and figured out the kid they grew up with possessing godly powers is likely this new alien superhero their same age possessing godly super powers.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    How's he gonna have his Clark Kent identity if everyone knows tho ?

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Not "everyone" in the world knows who Clark Kent is. Of course, in this 21st century world of hackers and lightning-fast, nearly boundless information flow, a superhero maintaining something like a secret identity would be a minor miracle in and on itself.

Life likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

In the film, that's certainly going to be apparent. Whether it plays a part going forward remains to be seen. In the comics, not so much.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just saw this and I haven't read all 94 pages so hopefully I'm not repeating anything.

• It started out great, I like the way Krypton was depicted, and Zod initially being shown as a bit of a "grey" character who really didn't want a conflict with Jor-El. I could have lived without the birth scene; why do they always show women screaming??? *headdesk* Especially on a planet where fetuses don't even grow inside wombs.
    • Krypton is going to implode, the conflict can't be resolved, Zod has had it up to his neck with politics, and Jor-El and Lara have to protect their son. The discovery of a planet "orbiting a yellow star" and "containing intelligent life" (debatable, anyone? :p ) was very sci-fi and very cool. That separation scene, though...I don't think Goyer had mothers in mind when he wrote her, Chewie. I'm going to have to skip over that one when I get the Blu-Ray, it was far, far too painful to watch. IwillnotcryinthetheaterIwillnotcryinthetheaterIwillnotcryinthetheater
    • I could have done without the jumping around in the timeline. Clark is an adult on a boat, Clark is a kid using his X-ray vision in school, Clark is an older kid getting the crap kicked out of him on the bus, Clark is a waiter saving a waitress from a misogynistic ***hole of a customer. Where the hell are we supposed to be now?
    • Lois Lane. Let me first say that I could not stand Margot Kidder. "AHHHH!!! Superman, save me from this earthquake because I couldn't possibly turn the wheel of my car off the fault line and make some modicum of an effort to save myself!" It's been a long time since I saw those Superman movies but that's how I remember her. Amy Adams, OTOH, was awesome the first time she set foot on screen with her Nikon and told Hardy and Swanwick to stop comparing ****s. And with Perry..."print this or I walk." You go girl.
    • Jor-El's reappearance. "I am your father." I see that Goyer has watched Empire Strikes Back. I thought it worked to have someone give Kal-El and explanation of who he is though, before Zod showed up.
    • Zod shows up and ****s with the power grids for the entire planet? Holy hell.
    • I thought the depiction of the moral dilemma, if we could call it that, was good. Zod couldn't stand the idea of the destruction of his entire people and was willing to join Palpatine rebuild Krypton at any cost, including genocide--which of course, Jor-El points out to him in a scene with probably the best dialogue in the entire movie. 'You're promoting genocide.' 'Yes, and I'm discussing its merits with a ghost.'
    • I don't know if the movie slowed down or sped up here; all I know is that we got at least an hour of Superman and Zod tearing down buildings while beating the **** out of each other, interspersed with the Pentagon trying to figure out what the hell they were going to do about these bat**** crazy aliens. Some of that could have been cut.
    • So Jonathan Kent, because they live in Kansas, got sucked up by a tornado instead of dying of a heart attack like he did in the 70s Superman movies. I can't decide if that's an improvement or not. Martha Kent was awesome though; I laughed when she told Zod to go to hell. And it gave Zod the chance to destroy another couple of buildings.
    • The ending...the only time I shook my head at Lois Lane. "I hear it's all downhill after the first kiss." Where did that come from? And the captain telling Swanwick that Superman was "kinda hot." Yeah, and...?
    • Nice set up for Man of Steel 2, in which I'm sure Superman and Zod will find a couple of more cities in which they can tear down buildings while beating the **** out of each other for an hour and a half.
    It was a fun movie, a 7/10 from me.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Women scream because they're pushing out an object the size of a watermelon out an oriface the size of a lemon. I've had two kidney stones and while they don't hurt nearly as bad, they're quite painful.
    While the dialogue always changes, the intentions are always the same.
    It follows Christopher Nolan's approach to directing, which is non linear, as well as serving as life lessons that Clark reflects upon when faced with certain situations. You hate this, you'd hate "Highlander".
    Car cannot movie without gas, which was why Lois was at the gas station right when the quake began. Turning the wheel without being pushed makes it kinda difficult to avoid a major seismic rip in the ground. Not to mention all the rocks which would crush her, if she got out of the car to run. That and Lois is supposed to die, in order to prompt Superman's time travel.
    No, that's generally what the Jor-El A.I. says.
    It's to make up for the last film lacking a fight scene.
    Well, it could have been Clark digging up a treasure chest and opening in the living room, causing a rare and fatal disease to kill Jonathan and Martha, because he wasn't smart enough to use his microscopic vision. Even though he had been using it for years. And yes, that's how they died from 1961 through 1986. Jonathan's heart was only an issue from 1942 through 61.
    Because Lois has feelings for him and he has feelings for her. Hence the kiss.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude, I have two children. Do you think I don't know anything about giving birth?

Some of the rest of what you posted are just a matter of taste and we'll have to agree to disagree. Not much anyone could say to make me prefer Kidder over Amy Adams. And I know where the kiss came from, I was referring to the comment. I've never heard "it's all downhill after the first kiss" in my life.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Then why ask why do they always show women screaming? Childbirth is the same no matter where you come from and on what planet you live on. See "Star Trek V", "Star Trek" (2009) and "Revenge Of The Sith"

That's because your life isn't based on 75 years of different interpretations that always result in romantic feelings developing. It's a wink and a nod.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because I didn't scream and assuming that all women scream is ridiculous? Yes, it hurts like hell, but why assume that we can't deal with pain without screaming?

And actually, no, childbirth is not always the same; there are as many different birth stories as there are children on the planet.

And don't even get me started on the Revenge of the Sith birth scene. That one was too absurd for words. Padme had a C-section; don't tell me the med droids on Polis Massa didn't know how to give a spinal anesthetic.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Haven't read the first ninety-four pages, and I'm not going to write an essay . . . but it was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in a theater in probably four or five years. God, the first hour and a half was dreadful.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Let's not get crazy, here.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Typically, Hollywood does it because it's more dramatic that way. In this case, Lara has never given birth and couple that with the fact that it's been a long time since natural child birth, I'd say there's a good reason to scream at something that's inconceivable.

Uh, the C-section must be a retcon, because I don't recall that at all. As to something to dull the pain, it's probably too late for that. You know as well as I do that there's only a small window of opportunity where that's an option and then no more.

It's not that bad a film.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on that assessment, sir. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's just typical Trek, with a few more humorous scenes than necessary because the last film did so well and the studio insisted upon it.

25. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I honestly don't understand why any man would argue about the appropriate portrayal of childbirth on film with a woman who has actually given birth.