main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Dude, you are just being dense now. Also as I demonstrated to slowpoop, he's 17. Not 20.

IF Clark shows his powers, and if he hasn't had time to mature - you may forget what a stubborn bastard a teenager is, but I haven't - and IF the government turns up to study him, **** is, in the parlance of our times, "going to get real". How Clark might react, how the government might react, how Martha might lose out - legitimate concerns for an old school gentleman like Jonathon Kent.

The issue isn't that Clark can't press the combo for super strength or laser eyes; the issue is that Clark hasn't levelled up enough to select the "mature head" feat in the Superhero class tree.

Jedi Merkurian and Saintheart like this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah I checked he was 17 at that time, but still should have his own judgment. Actually people are quite rebellious at that time.

Lois could reveal his secret as well. So his dad could let him lose his own judgment?

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Slowpoke I'm not even convinced you are 17 half the time. So I can't take your comments seriously.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Saintheart like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Wait, he switched from a nice kid, following his dad's order to a stubborn bastard.
    Why would a government try to scare him? As long as they have him under control, they could use the "nice" way to let him obey. They also have the Kent couple under control and tell Clark not to disobey them if they want to be "bad" to Clark.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I need a weapon...

Sent from my Samsung Mega Astromech Droid

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Nope. 17 year olds, as demonstrated by most rational court systems on the face of the planet, don't have adult judgment. And frankly saying "DIDN'T MEAN HE WOULD DO IT IN SUCH SITUATION" is wrong, because you've nothing on the film to support that. You do have plenty to support the opposite conclusion - when Clark does use his powers earlier in his life, his father admonishes him for doing so openly.

His father told him not to save him. Combined with the fact Clark is a kid and has been told most of his life that the world's not ready and that he can't use his powers openly, I say it does fit his personality at that stage of his life. His personality changes in the intervening ten years and in particular once he has met his biological father in the scout ship.

Yes, I'm sure Clark is fully prepared for school bus crashes in future because of his single experience when he was still in elementary school. Tornadoes, less so.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm surprised people are still whining over this movie.

Jedi Merkurian and Saintheart like this.
  8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Except Lois is on her own. And can be appealed to. And is hot. Seriously dude, do you even read?

EDIT: dp4m I'm holding you responsible for this. :D You get an official conviction from the Holy Catholic Church for practicing the Dark Art of Summoning. :D :D

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm pretty sure all pretense of a secret was gone by the end of the film... :p

And I coulda sworn he was in college in the scene in the car...

Fair! lol!

Juliet316 and Saintheart like this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah he was 17, I checked. He did before and after, used his power to help people, against his dad's wish. We can see he really wants to save people, even if it means to cause some backlash to himself. Also most of the good teenagers would try to save their family, especially their parents when they are in danger, and Clark was a very good teen.

Do you mind answer a question?
    After Kent told him that, will Clark do the same thing if such accident happen again? Will he let those kids die?

His father did it because he thought Clark>himself. Even if Clark was only 17, he would know what death means, and would try to save his parents. He didn't stop before or after, when those people had little connection with him.

What I'm saying is, he surely had an idea about should he go save people when he needed to use his power or not.

Lois had evidence, she could show her injuries, it was healed by heat vision so they might check it out.

But I'm going to drop here, shouldn't waste too much time on this thread.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Negative. 17 years old.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Probably not if he can use his powers without being seen. Jonathan Kent's reply when Clark asks him whether he was supposed to let the kids die is "Maybe", not "Yes." Pa Kent is emphasising that he can't be seen using his powers, not that he can't use them.

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Those of you who don't like the scene, are you critical of the execution of it, or do you disagree with the entire premise? Because it looks to me like dp4m finds the scene unconvincing, while Slowpoke disagrees with the entire premise of the scene, and those are two different discussions. Similarly, some people find it unconvincing that Superman was forced to snap Zod's neck in the scene where that happens, for various reasons, while others believe a scenario where Superman is forced to make that choice doesn't belong in a Superman film in the first place. And, again, those are two different discussions.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I find both of those scenes actually unconvincing AND I disagree with the entire premise... sorry. :(

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So do you think the scene fails to adequately illustrate it; or that the conclusions we have drawn from the scene are incorrect?

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The former, in both cases. The set-ups are ludicrous for what they're trying to describe.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But in both MoS and Donner's film, Clark learns a lesson about the limits of his abilities by Jonathon Kent dying, right?

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I suppose my problem is that I'm just tired of how every single hero now is required to have a tragicbackground manifesting itself in a constant struggle with their darker nature, resulting in a great moral failing that tarnishes their otherwise noble selves and leaves them deeply shaken with blood on their hands.

In other words, I'd rather not have Superman portrayed as a Marvel hero.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Why do you keep spelling Jonathan as Jonathon?

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Habit; I work with two people who are -thon and I kept saying -than.

Invariably I will get one name wrong. :(

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    People spell it that way? Huh. Learn something new every day.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I believe Jonathon might be a more common spelling in England and Australia.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Four more pages! Four more pages! Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha! [face_devil]

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

This discussion reminded me of this guy:

[​IMG]

So I guess it IS a British thing. :p

soitscometothis likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No. In one he does, in the other he is a moron who could have used his powers to save his father but didn't because he and his father eat the red/blue pill (which ever one allows them to keep living in the Matrix)...