main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit This shows droids might be able to be "attracted" to each other and fall in "love"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    SilentGuy66 likes this.
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Im not for romance amongest droids. Their not people.

Also presenting a homosexual relationship in star wars shouldn't be done through robots that are sexless.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  3. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    So brave. It's about time our society accepted and celebrated robosexuality.

It gives me hope that the rampant ignorant robophobia that has littered the world is coming to an end

Dr. Steve Brule and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    C-3PO, BB8, and R2-D2 would all say differently.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

And this bothers you? That a society that doesn't seem to have stupid hangups like ours wouldn't have a stupid hangup about same sex?

Endor_boy likes this.
  6. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Threepio sure had a crush on LE-914 "Ellie" in that old Marvel comic.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    "Leia experienced the vaguely guilty sensation that surfaced every time she realized that droid personalities were more than programmed conversational quirks. A computer core could be lonely. C-3PO could take pity on it." -Bloodline

TheRedBlade, Endor_boy and Dante1120 like this.
  8. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I prefer droids to be "human". It's certainly the way they're portrayed. It also showcases the level of technology in Star Wars. It's not like Cortana was just a programmed computer with fake emotions.

9. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

NO!!! This is the exact opposite of how I feel. I am overjoyed about the casual acceptance of homosexuality in nu-canon. Its not even a question of being different or surprising. Its like the color of ones eyes.

TheRedBlade and Endor_boy like this.
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wouldn't put Cortana in the same category of Star Wars droids. Smart AIs in halo are created by scanning brains of dead humans which copies the neural pathways of brain. In Cortanas case a flash cloned brain was used from Dr. Halsey. The method of creation leaves them with some humanity. In a way like digital clones. So when it comes to question of personhood, I would but those AIs on a higher category then the droids that merely come off an assembly line.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Yes of course. I'll put it like this: A smart AI is a clone of a brain. A SW droid is an artificial brain built from scratch. A SW droid could never be as human as a Smart AI but they're pretty close.

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The WEG RPG module Riders of the Maelstrom contains the following encounter, occurring in a droid lounge aboard the passenger liner Kuari Princess:

Comic Relief: One of the Rebels' Droids (if they have any) is romantically approached by a Droid of the opposite...um...gender? Polarity? If the attraction is mutual, let the Rebels deal with the Droid's owner with regard to allowing the Droids to spend some time "sparking."

13. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Mmm. On the edge of my seat here.

Should probably move back, that's how close to the edge I am.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Good job listing things that don't matter to the argument at hand.

For all intents and purposes, both Cortana and R2-D2 have the same sentience as dictated by the story. How they were created doesn't matter.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Hm. It might in a universe where there's a class of beings that can literally sense the presence of other minds. (Sorry Daiman)

"Yes, well, if droids could think there'd be none of us here" -- Obi-Wan

The galactic consensus seems to hold that droids are P-Zombies. They certainly aren't considered people, or truly sentient, else otherwise our protagonists are evil slaveowners. It may well be that in the early days of the Republic there were "Droids Rights Activists", and the like, but when the religious branch of the ruling class (the Jedi) with their demonstrable powers insist "No, they're not sentient/sapient/Persons because if they were we'd be able to feel it" it's going to be hard to gain much ground. Especially when, well, droids are convenient.

"But they're not biological!" I hear someone cry. Neither is this guy:

[​IMG]

Biology is not an essential property of the Living Thing.

Do I want to see this consensus challenged, in universe? YES! Absolutely! I hate the way droids are treated... but it can't be challenged until there's a huge paradigm shift. And that paradigm shift is going to have to involve the Force, necessarily, or else ring hollow.

(Coruscant Nights was heading in the right direction, IMO)

16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    This makes it more imperative we define droid sentience. I mean TCW seems pretty freaking horrifying if B1s are of even a remotely similar level of sentience as BB8 seems to be

17. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    One of the themes of the original trilogy is nature vs technology. The Empire is an uncaring technological organization that is brought down by fun loving stone age teddy bears. Vader is more machine than man and when Luke starts down the dark side he too becomes a cyborg. George Lucas thinks that life is special, not sentience. This is proven in the distinction between the living force and the cosmic force. The cosmic force is the universe, the living force passes energy from living things to the cosmic force to sustain it.
    There is still some hope for droids in future material but tbh I doubt Lucasfilm will ever have the balls to tackle the ethics of AI in any meaningful way.

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    F-29 from the Tokyo version of Star Tours has a girlfriend.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I generally think droid humanization of any kind is boring, idiotic and sappy, and the idea of droid romance is the furthest extreme of idiotic sentiment, but if they're going to have this kind of thing then droid revolution needs to be increased by at least 70,000%. Less sap, more serious.

There absolutely must be a story about the droids of Raxus Prime kidnapping the heads of Cybot Galactica and Industrial Automaton and demanding the programming of R2-D2, with a human replica droid sent in to infiltrate and neutralize the threat and rescue the hostages.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    It seems like Star Wars has always been aware of the mistreatment of droids but it's never meaningfully tackled the subject. Reading the Essential Guide to Droids you get the idea things will change - but they haven't - not yet. So here's hoping that the SST deals with the Third Great Droid Revolution.

21. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I already knew droids could be attracted to each other.

Doesn't anyone remember R2-D2 had a pink astromech droid girlfriend in the Droids Cartoon episode "The Great Heep"? lol

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012