main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT This this this! 4K Original Restoration Technicolor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by hiRidge, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, I haven't even seen the original version, so I'm not qualified to argue that anyway :p

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You should probably change that.

How can we call it the same film if it doesn't even look the same anymore?
    That's just changing it for the heck of it.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm content with my Blu-Rays.

Pancellor Chalpatine likes this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'd be content with all of the version being made available. The OOT, the 97 SE, the 2004 SE and the 2011 SE. But I'd really treasure the OOT version the most.

5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Well done. I guess my only criticism is directly answered within the interview:
    My personal preference is that we get the original version as a straight restoration, but I do see the merits and the reasoning behind an intentionally "rough" transfer. After all this is their restoration, so artistic liberties are to be expected. While I prefer the spotless, pristine restoration attempted in the Legacy Edition, as Mr. Black said, there's room for all versions of the film.

In terms of availability, I think this is currently the best offering we have. The Despecialized Editions were alright as placeholders, but couldn't replace the real thing. IMO, the most recent Despecialized update of Return of the Jedi actually looks worse to me. Can't wait to see the results for Empire and Jedi.

Pancellor Chalpatine, as I take it, the people who made this are fans of GL and aren't anti-Special Edition. They're just proponents for all versions of the film being made available.

6. negative1

negative1 Jedi Knight

Oct 17, 2012
    Yes, that's the point.

Our project was all about preservation of the print, and retaining the original look of it. Many people were not even around, so they have no idea what it could have looked like in
    the theater.

That was back in 1977.

Fast forward almost 40 years. A whole new era of moviegoers has come and gone, and their sensibilities are different.

Ironically, even the 1997 SE versions look different on the DVD. There will be a project that digitizes those from film also.

Harmy and other projects are more like restorations, where they try to use the best possible resources to make the film look better.
    That means it will look good at home, since it never looked this good in theaters.

Theaters used prints, that are several generations away from the negatives. The restoration for the bluray used the negatives, which is why it looks sharp.

The color correction is a personal preference, however, there are definitely mistakes on the bluray.

======================

On another note, Team Negative1 has disbanded after this project, and other people will continue with the project.
    This has nothing to do with anything legal, or arguments at OT.com, or internal issues.

The project set out to restore a version of Star Wars, and we are done.

Thanks again for all the support, and comments.

Team Negative1