main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

This thread brought to you by the letter 'F'

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Okay, I think I'm caught up. :)

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
  3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I edit it as I see it.

4. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    yodahs-daddy posted on 4/12/05 6:41pm

[i]I just think it's stupid we can't say WT#, but there's threads filled with people talking about condoms, penis', vaginas, breasts, hymens, pics with nearly nude women, drug use, alcohol use, etc around. [/i]

I totally agree, what is family friendly about any of that? I mean I wouldn't want my kids reading or learning anything from that, I really don't think discussion of how a condom fits is appropiate for a PG rated board, would you see that in a PG rated film?
    [hr][/blockquote]

It's this ridiculous inconsistent moderation that frustrates me. If you're going to be allowing threads like "Do you masturbate?" or "What's your favorite condom?", there's no point in keeping up this "family friendly" facade.

5. rhysklaus

rhysklaus Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    That thread will be allowed as long as it's kept clean. Once it crosses the line, it'll be locked.

6. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    rhysklaus posted on 4/13/05 1:58pm
    That thread will be allowed as long as it's kept clean. Once it crosses the line, it'll be locked.
    [hr][/blockquote]

How can you keep a thread about masturbation clean? I don't get it.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Life is contradictory and never 100% consistent. We've got some rules, several I don't agree with. But it's not my call. What my responsibility is is to moderate to those rules as best I can and count on the community to inform me of things I miss.

8. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    my understanding was that you couldn't even say 'wt*' because it was obvious that the * stood for an 'f' and that it had to be edited to 'wth'

or is that incorrect?

ETA: In this thread it's stated the 'wt*' is actually incorrect because then * = F = pointless

And Sape, you stated Say whatever suits your fancy in the real world outside of these forums. While in these forums, however, please don't use the words or imply them. That's what we're asking. Thanks., as a response to whether wt* can be used, and it was decided that it couldn't be used, because the * implied F.

So are we changing the rule now so that wt* is okay? Or does wt(letter) AND wt(star) BOTH have to be edited to 'wth'

9. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Along with retarded, can we please ban bastard, crazy, lunatic, loony and mad?

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Don't forget "dumb". I think that could be found offensive, and someone's gotta speak up for the dumb people. :)

11. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    Don't forget "dumb". I think that could be found offensive, and someone's gotta speak up for the dumb people.

Hey, precedence says that calling someone dumb is a permban.

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Personally, if you're going to ban the full thing, you might as well ban "wt*" as well, since it's blatantly obvious and defeats the puprose of banning it to begin with. (For example, you have to put **** instead of a letter and three stars.)

13. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Incidently, I have it on good authority the ACLU is suing on F's behalf on charges of discrimination, so you might want to contact your lawyers.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    'Lame' must go, too.

It takes everything I have in me to post in spite of my crippling paralysis, and when I finally manage to log on here after nearly an agonizing hour of reaching my keyboard, all I see are people mocking my condition. :(

It breaks my heart.

15. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "It breaks my heart."

In that case, we better get rid of "heartbroken" too.

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Personally, I think the word "Sith" really needs to go. It just gives off such an evil and dark feeling...

17. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    And Wars. I can't abide that negative conotation. And revenge.

But we must not forget why we're all here. It's because we love Star ****. On May 19th, Star ****: ******* of the **** comes out, and provided it isn't ****, *** or ********, it should unite us all. WT* am I thinking??? Of course ******* of the **** won't be ****, *** or ********!

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Possible solution. Instead of WT*

Use WT[H].

19. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    You people do know that the slippery slope is a logical fallacy, right? Not proof for an argument?

The owners and administration can ban the word "right" tomorrow, but there is nothing compelling them to then ban the word "wrong" or "left". You seem to be under the impression that just because one word is banned all others must be too. That's just not the case. Complain about hypocrisy or unfairness all you want, but no one is keeping you here.

20. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Did the owners ban retarded?

21. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    You have to ask them, but since DarthSapient is their chosen representative and the person they placed in charge of day-to-day board operations, I would guess you'd do well to ask him. I'm positive that they trust him to form and enact policy when it comes to something as petty as various ways of making sure people feel bad about themselves.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [face_laugh] at Bob.

It's all about the self loathing.

If this [special olympic] debacle hadn't gotten so out of hand, we would probably be having another 'assault on Phil Wise' thread like we did during the near disintigration of the boards.

23. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    If you're going to ban one word for being offensive to a small handful of people, you should ban all words that are offensive to a small handful of people.

Otherwise, it seems like a [word no longer allowed] double standard or pointless rule.

Yes, the owners and administration can do what they want. I don't think anyone is arguing that. People are arguing the lack of logic behind the recent [word no longer allowed] decisions. If [word] is banned, why not ban other words that are EQUALLY OFFENSIVE to just as many people?

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    But, Jeff... I'm just now getting happily adjusted to typing [special olympic] to describe things... :(

25. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    You people do know that the slippery slope is a logical fallacy, right? Not proof for an argument?

AAaaaand, this thread has become the 'retarded' thread.

My God, why do people think that saying 'slippery slope' proves anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.