main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

" This will be a day long remembered "

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by comet1440, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    what is the GFFA equivaliant of a day ? since people visit numerous planets with different orbits and rotations how do they determine when they go to sleep ? and is there names like monday , tuesday , etc.. , and what year are they on and how long is a year , is there months ? etc... , basically what im asking is what is the time measure they use in SW .

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I beleive the galaxy goes by Couruscant time (They call it standard time). Couruscant is roughly the size of Earth, so we can assume that their day is about as long as a day here on Earth.

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Are you sure Coruscant is the size of Earth? It always seemed to be much bigger to me.

4. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    Since Coruscant (?) is like the "center" of the Star Wars universe everyone else would observe that planets time....

Since that is where everything gets governed from it would make sense that that would be so... I never thought about how time is calculated in the SW universe so the question posted and the reply that was given certainly makes alot of sense.... :)

5. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    On a slight tangent, there's something I don't quite get. They've got Coruscant as the centre of the universe, yet surely the sun it orbits will be the true centre? [face_thinking] I'm thinking it'd screw up navicomputers etc if they're targeting a planet that's round the other side of the sun.

Just a thought...

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Coruscant is only the "figurative" center of the Universe... it isn't even in the Deep Core.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    But they still gave it the coordinates Zero, Zero, Zero - idiots :p
    Although.... it's probably similar to our magnetical and geographical North and South Pole :)

but yeah, they got Standard Time
    What do the guys on ISS live on? Houston's time?

8. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    All time in SW universe is measured by "Standard Time" - that is Coruscant time, which is the same as ours, a day lasts 24 hours. Also, some people buy fancy chrono's that display both the local time of the planet they're on, and the current time on Coruscant.
    But aboard all starships or deep-space stations, it is all measured by Coruscant time. The stations orbiting planets use that planet's time.

9. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    So on some planet with an even slightly different axis than Coruscant, with a "day" period of, say 22.5 hours, would the beginning of each "day" be starting at different times each day? Like, could it be the middle of the afternoon one month with the clocks reading 00:00 and sunrise later on with the clocks reading 00:00?

I'd get very confused if I traveled between planets a lot.

10. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    We'd all suffer from hyper-lag.

11. JediBrain

JediBrain Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2004
    You've got to figure that when on a planet, you adjust your day to whatever it is there. Just like standard time on Earth - Grenwich mean time - is the basis, not everyone on the planet wakes up at 6am GMT and goes to sleep at 11pm GMT.

If your trying to communicate with someone in, say Germany, when you are in the US, its helpful to have a standard time so you can reference at what point they are in in their day.

Otherwise, it is what time it is where you are, and who cares about the rest....

So a galactic standard time, and calendar since days/weeks/years can also be different, is only really necessary to coordinate between systems. It gives everyone a reference point so they know exactly when things are going on in other systems, and it gives people aboard space craft some kind of schedule, since there is no other way to gague time out there.

Otherwise, it is what time/day it is wherever you are. You know, when in Rome....

Brian

12. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I think it depends on the planet your on.Like a whole day on Bespin is 12 hours,instead of the standerd 24 hours. :)

13. zeva

zeva Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    "On a slight tangent, there's something I don't quite get. They've got Coruscant as the centre of the universe, yet surely the sun it orbits will be the true centre?"

Universe has no center, since it has no borders. The Sun that Coruscant orbits around is also moving around its galaxy (wherever it my be). Nothing is stationary in Universe. Nothing.

14. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Nothing is stationary in Universe. Nothing.

Except the nothing in between. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.