main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Those 2010 rumors - in hindsight - Will the sequel trilogy end on a cliffhanger??

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by IG_2000, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Remember from late 2010, when sequel trilogy rumors started kicking up again? Lucasfilm outright DENIED it, claiming that George Lucas had "plenty" of other projects in the works? Well, we know now that Lucas was working on the outlines for new movies before Disney ever came into the picture, and was in talks with the Big Three around the time of these rumors.

This is what Harry from AICN had to say about it:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47173
    Hey folks, Harry here watching Garrett Gilbert pretty much destroy my will to watch Longhorn football as the Chris Simms clone continues to be a total cluster****. Anyway... While watching and tweeting, someone mentioned the below IESB story about a 3rd STAR WARS Trilogy, to be delivered after the 3D STAR WARS re-releases. This is not new. This has ALWAYS been George's plan. Remember last year at this time of the year? When George called it Malarky? Every source I have at Lucasfilm has continually stated that the plan is to do a third STAR WARS trilogy taking place after RETURN OF THE JEDI. But you have to realize - that talking about it, is going to make it miserable waiting for. It is DOWN THE ROAD. The only time it'll be truly exciting to talk about, is when sets officially get built, when Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford & Mark Hamill get signed to come back, and it is for real. Right now, it is just a plan. A far off plan - and plans can and do change, but it will happen when George is ready - We're all hoping that new directors will be brought in that are visionary directors. This will happen. BUT between now and then, you'll continue to hear people like Lucas, McCallum and Sansweet deny and call all such rumors as our right fabrications. That is standard Lucasfilm procedure. BECAUSE - until they're ready to announce, it does not exist. SO - I suppose it does not exist, but it will.

Anyway, here's the original scoop:

“Too early for story details but one thing that our source is certain about, they will not be prequels but instead sequels,” IESB says. “It’s not for certain if they will be the long-awaited Episodes 7, 8 and 9 but could instead be Episodes 10, 11 and 12 or possibly even further out in the Star Wars timeline. And by giving space in the timeline, possibly even as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future, Lucas avoids having to make these stories ‘fit in’ with what the previous stories have told.”

What's interesting is that, if this scoop ended up having merit, that would mean that Lucas was planning in the long term, and was considering following the inverted ordering of the original saga by releasing the sequels to the sequels first.

The thing is, with the prequel trilogy, we all knew EXACTLY what was coming, the storyline ultimately just bringing the two trilogies together. However, with the sequels, we have NO IDEA what's going down in the saga going forward, which means, hypothetically, we could have a huge paradigm shift in the vein of the formation of the Galactic Empire going towards the end of Episode 9, or a main character becoming a supervillain to rival the likes of Darth Vader.

whostheBossk and markdeez like this.
  2. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I remember quite well. It all made perfect sense; the 3D re-releases would lead up to the ST just as the Special Editions led up to the PT. I never bought that GL was done with big screen Star Wars, especially as he was actively involved in TCW and the live action series. When Peter Mayhew was working on ROTS he let it slip that he'd be back for the ST, which has now proven 100% true.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I bet we will see a FT (10-12) eventually.

whostheBossk and Death_Jar_Jar like this.
  4. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    No doubt my friend

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    There will definitely be a FT one day

6. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Everybody watch your sodium intake. Drive safe. Don't want to miss it!

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    FT? Mmmm...[face_thinking] I like the sound of that better than SST which I've been using up till now.;)

Anyhow, even if it doesn't end on a cliff hanger Disney will leave it open enough as long at a FT looks profitible. However it ending on a cliffhanger like Revenge is very possible. I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney asked Lucas if he could rewrite the ST to be more openended and that's part of the reason Lucas worked on it for over a year before the sale as the rumors implied he did. It would make Star Wars look like a safer purchase if he did so which would have greatly appealed to Ignr.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah they were talking about 3D releases first in Episode order : EP1 2012 , EP2 2013 , EP3 2014 , EP4 2015 , EP5 2016 , EP6 2017 & then the Sequel Trilogy Starting in 2018 or 2019 - Georges thinking was no later than then or the Big 3 would really be getting to old.....so we really got the better deal with GL selling to Disney......

9. WannaBuySomeDeathSticks

WannaBuySomeDeathSticks Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    This is something I brought up to my roomates & they had a stroke. 7 8 & 9 are made and if 10 11 & 12 are made they will be prequels to the ST (so telling the story of the 30 year gap between 6 & 7).

whostheBossk and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    What does FT stand for?

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I assumed it meant "fourth trilogy"....

mes520 likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Fourth trilogy, Final trilogy etc. Just my placeholder name for them.

mes520 likes this.
  13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Disney did not by Lucasfilm, to oversee the end of the story, they bought it to grow it, expand it
    and make it as big, if not bigger than the MCU.

Looking at what Hasbro leaked about the spin offs, it looks like they could be building
    to the FY, if it is a prequel to the sequels.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I really don't want the ST to end on a cliffhanger, and I don't want another trilogy after the ST. A trilogy of trilogies for the main Saga would be perfect, IMO. And then the spin-offs could continue past the currently planned three films, to continue to tell SW universe stories without having them be part of ongoing trilogies.

15. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Star Wars is a film franchise known for trilogies, it's p
    art of the brand, if Disney can make more monet from more
    trilogies, they will. Once nine is done, George Lucas part in the story will be done.
    his trilogy of trilogies will be done. Disney will then be free to do what they want with the brand.
    In the ends Disney is thinking of the next generation of fans, who will come in, just as the PT, TCW, and the EU, brought in new fans. They will want to give them new stories with their new heroes, and show them what was special about the generation of heroes before then. We are not in Kansa anymore. Star Wars is now JJ's and Disney's.

aleja2 likes this.
  16. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    We'll get the ST and further down the line there will be more trilogies for more generations, until they stop making money. Simple as that.

mes520 likes this.
  17. The Revanchist

The Revanchist Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2013
    I think George made sure in the selling agreement that the ST would be the last "classic" trilogy.

That's why he said that 7,8,9 would be "the end of the trilogy", meaning the last trilogy in the trilogy of trilogies, in this video, at 0:47:

Of course after the ST Disney will make more movies, and maybe even another trilogy set in a totally different age of the Star Wars Universe, for example in the KotOR age.

syferdiasisalie and T-R- like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    No thanks. KOTOR is extremely overrated, to the point of sometimes overshadowing the OT.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  19. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    True nine is the end of the George Lucas story as we know it.

but they have a lot of time between 1 to 9 to explore on film.

Some of those stories will be to large for one movie.

You will still be able to see 1 to 9, without paying attention to anything wlse.

but they'd be losing out on a lot of opportunities if they choose not to explore them on film/

the time between six, and seven, is nearly twice as long as between three and four.

Of course that video was taken pre JJ, and pre Legends, before Arndt left

20. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    If episodes 10-12 take place far in the future, FT could stand for future trilogy.

Whatever the case, I like FT more than SST.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. The Revanchist

The Revanchist Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2013
    As you can see by my avatar and signature, I love KotOR.
    I think its main character, Revan, has everything that a Star Wars character needs, and I would LOVE to see his story portrayed on screen.

22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    What if the FT is to the ST, what the pt is to the OT?

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Another problem with KOTOR is that it destroys the mystery of the Sith. When I watch the movies, I see mysterious badasses, but KOTOR says that they're just some exiled fallen Jedi.

24. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    It's a shame about the 3D releases. 3D or not, I was psyched to see the saga on the big screen, and the crowd at the Phantom Menace 3D was enormously positive. It was fun. Too bad Disney's animated films underperformed and soured them on the 3D re-release thing. I guess there's still hope for a trilogy marathon before EpVII hits.

At this point, there will be films until people get fatigued the franchise stops making money. Then when the next cash cow dries up, Star Wars will be revived. Who knows how many "Episodes" we'll get, but I bet that if the ST is as successful as its predecessors, we will see an announcement for 10-12.

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What does FT stand for?

Sent from my R2 unit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.