main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Those crapy kid books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Does anyone know those book that include the Dark Side Prohets. You know, Mission to MT. Yoda, and Prophets of the Dark SSide. I heard tyhey suck, is this true?

2. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Don't know, but the names are enough for me.
    Although the Dark Side Phophets sound like that it may be there only saving grace.

3. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    There was also Zorba the Hutts revenge, and a couple more.

4. Zyra

Zyra Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2001
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I bought them for like $2 each, 2 combined hardcovers, when they were obviously very much on sale maybe 2 years ago. They're not that terrible. I mean, they are for kids, but they don't take long to read obviously.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The Glove of Darth Vader
    Lost City of the Jedi
    Zorba the Hutt's Revenge
    Mission from Mount Yoda
    Queen of the Empire
    Prophets of the Dark Side

Yeah, they pretty much suck.
    I think by Paul and Hollace DAvids.

6. Domenic

Domenic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2001
    THEY SUCK!!!! BADLY!!! HORRIBLY!!

CONSIDER YOURSELF BLESSED IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THESE BOOKS!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO READ THEM, LOOK AT THEM, OR GATHER INFORMATION ABOUT THEM. IT WILL ONLY MAKE YOU NASEUS (sp?).

On a more serious note, simply acknowledge their presence and move on. These were made for... oh... 5-6 year olds with no understanding of the EU, or even how serious and cool Star Wars really is.

Yes, they are canon... but they suck... So consider this a warning...

7. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Well ok thanx, I guess they must suck to have no influence on the EU what so ever.

8. Zyra

Zyra Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2001
    How can they be canon when Han and Leia get married in the end? Apparently they got married twice and there was no real reason for Han to be jealous of Isolder because he was in fact already Leia's husband. So which is it then? I consider it just an alterntate version, and serisously, I don't think they suck THAT bad. They're only kids books.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    chissdude10...
    "Well ok thanx, I guess they must suck to have no influence on the EU what so ever."

Some key points...
    1. The wedding. The wedding is never shown to be completed.

Actually, they do hold influence on the EU. Authors have indeed used its creations in later works...
    1. Duros - the GoDV version of Duros is what was used for a number of stories.
    2. In the next chronological story, Han and Leia are married (suggesting that the GoDV marriage is true).
    3. The Supreme Prophets - they have been detailed in WotC's Dark Side Sourcebook
    4. Grand Admirals - the Grand Admirals mentioned in the series are included in the finite list of Grand Admirals.

They are included in the Essential Chronology, and are therefore considered "essential" to the timeline by Lucasfilm.

Their "crappiness" is a wholly seperate issue from their connection to continuity. In fact, "crappiness" has never been an issue to negate something in-continuity, as evidenced by either the Thrawn Trilogy or Hand of Thrawn duology.

10. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    As usual Genghis somehow corrects me in all aspects.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    There so bad there good. Cheesy as hell, feel like standard 80's cartoon like villains and plots.

Then again they are written by two people who wrote stories for GI-Joe, and transformers.

Which I've seen episodes of now that I'm an adult, and have to admit even those kids programs were really cheesy.

12. Xizora

Xizora Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 1999
    Does anyone know anything about the books about Anakin? I know they are kids books, but other than that I have no idea. I have never seen them in a book store. Are they any good?

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, they are good.

14. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Aren't their two 'p's in 'crappy'?

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

15. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    I think they are hilarious. They are so bad, that you want to laugh out loud (and I actually do).

I would read them (but not buy them) just so you can see how much better the canon books are. And to expose yourself to REALLY bad writing.

PS. Has anyone ever noticed that in Lost City of the Jedi on page 44, you can see, amoung other things, the Ark of the Covenent and Mandalorian armor! LOL!!!!

16. DarthRache

DarthRache Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2001
    Everyone always rags on these books, but I liked them. I'm probably the only person to admit this or will admit to this, but I really liked them when they first came out. I knew they were for kids, but I thought it was an interesting take on the SW EU. Sure some of it is kind of hokey....(Obi-Wan's JE99DI88FOR00CE code, some of the robot names, the use of all of the same planets we already knew, and Hologram FunWorld) but it was fun to read. I got the orignals when they came out and bought the two hardcover editions. Ken Palpatine was actually kind of interesting. I'd love to see a revival of old Marvel and kid stuff. I like how they incorporated some of this stuff.

We've seen the slivilith incorporated into the NJO, how about the NGai or Zeltrons? Ken Palpatine or Zorba the Hutt? And where is Lumiya? These books as well as Marvel comics go underappreciated. This was SW EU back then and it turned alot of people on to Star Wars, and I'm glad that we still see some of it used today and brought into the official EU.

I hope I made sense...it's kind of late, like 3:30 in the morning. Those are my thoughts....reply to them please, and tell me what u think

17. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    aren't those the books where the line about a mofference shows up..

something like:

"a conference of all the moffs together, a mofference."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.