main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Those dreaded reshoots/What was changed?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by jamminjedi23, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

affects you see In Trailers are not final so a lot of times they do get edited out the rest are promotional shots and not in the movie at all.

2. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    They're mentioned.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010

Did you have to quote every single picture?

GunganSlayer likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Clearly the ending on Scarif, Saw's role, and the story on Jedha, changed significantly with the reshoots.

The most interesting thing to me is what the heck was originally going on with Jedha: Rebel pilots being imprisoned, crashed X-wings (which is preserved in the Chirrut/ Baze scene), etc.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Here's an ILM short video that serves as a prequel to Rogue One… both the cinematic version and the original, pre-reshoot version(s) of the film.

The short shows Rebel ships transmitting information about the Death Star to Alliance Headquarters. At the very end, just before being blown up, one of the Rebel pilots tries desperately to confirm whether the data was received.

In the final cut of Rogue One, it didn’t get through: the Alliance doesn’t know about the Death Star until Jyn Erso learns about it. But in earlier Rogue One edits, it evidently did get through – trailers show Mon Mothma briefing Jyn about the Death Star, rather than the other way around.

Like the film itself, this short prequel to Rogue One is deliberately designed to be compatible with multiple Star Wars canons.

The trouble is, most of those alternate canons (including varing edits of Rogue One) are currently locked away in the Disney/Lucasfilm vaults.

7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Video game? Previz?

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't post that originally It was a reply;)

9. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly this does seem like a smart move to me, having the Deathstar as a known quantity fairly early in the film for me just doesn't seem as dramatic as having the lead characters discover(or rather experience) it.

Darth__Lobot and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010

You quoted the post that has all the pictures in it, hense you quoted the images. You could at least delete them from the quote so people don't have to scroll through all of them again.

11. YorksEisleyian

YorksEisleyian Jedi Knight

Dec 27, 2016
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thread merged.

14. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
  17. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Sorry i quoted the wrong post.
    This is the one that i meant to reply to.

B99 likes this.
  18. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    So basically during re-shots they added:

1) entire scene on Ring of Kafrane with Cassian
    2) extracting Jyn on Wobani
    3) Bodhi scene on meeting Saw's people on Jedha
    4) probably some tweaks in dialogues in emotional scenes (I had a feeling that Galen's holo message added the whole 'I miss you Jyn' during reshots to add the emotional impact)
    5) And of course ending - they simplified it (Archives vault and antenna were 2 different buildings, so they have merged it to Citadel - hence no running on Scarif with DS plans) and probably the scene with Krenninc walking on Scarif - he was walking from archives to antenna to stop Jyn - it was now happening in one building - Citadel.
    6) As for X-Wing on Jedha.. I don't think they were going to show battle above Jedha.We've never saw any footage of that. In the Visual Dictionary they say that Saw has few X-Wings and sometimes they attack Empire so maybe it's from another battle happened few weeks earlier...

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's really not the impression I got. In fact, it seems they reshot less than I thought they did based on Internet rumours and discussions here.

20. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Rewatched it tonight. Pure speculation but I think there was originally an extended encounter between Evazan, Ponda and Jyn. When they bump past each other there is a split second reaction from Jyn making it seem like she's about to harass them/antagonize just a little, hence why both Cassian and Ponda are pulling their respective partners away. To me it seems like a slight exaggeration to have to physically separate people after one just says to "watch yourself".

That and as others have said Robot Chicken know the truth about Ponda and I think this possibly backs it up.

21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    In a recent interview with Spencer Wilding he said the Vader Mustafar conversation with Krennic was a reshoot as Vader was played by a different actor for that scene.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  22. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I for one would pay to see that movie.

xezene and ATMachine like this.
  23. Bacbacca

Nov 26, 2011
    Werent the rumors that they just redid the ending?

This is the first time im hearing that they redid the start, too.

This explains the choppy start and ending. I guess the middle is the only thing keep almost untouched?

24. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    Given what a remarkable film Rogue One is, it seems unlikely the reshoots did any harm, and more than possible they were a good idea... it'd still be interesting to see some of the alternative cuts though!

25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I really think that by streamlining the ending they ended on an incredible last act. The reasons given by the director and others have suggested that the original plan of only having the two towers (har har LOTR), was a but clunky and possibly made that section just drag on a little. Action scenes etc are great but if it goes on and on you get desensitized to it. By streamlining it keeps the pace even, tension building and ultimately the audience invested in what's happening.

On of the great things about the films last act is the geography of it. You knew where people were in relation to one another. Chirrut's team is skirting around the outskirts of the landing pads, Bodhi is with the ship etc. when there's the shots of Krennic observing out towards the battlefield you feel like you know where out there the important players are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.