main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Those little things that keep you awake at night

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Moog, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    "That was good."
    ~obi wan, AOTC

I'm sure he says "not good" on my DVD...

You two are talking about two different scenes. Obi-Wan says, "That was good." during the speeder chase and says, "Uh-oh, not good." during the fight with Jango.

2. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    All of TPM. Jar Jar and Qui-Gon should never have existed. Anakin should definately be older and Kenobi already a full JEDI Knight taking on the responsiblity to train him alone. Yoda alone should have been Kenobi's teacher, no one else, as originally written. Padme should be younger and not a world leader, more likely the daughter of an important governor or senator. NO MIDICHLORIANS! Anakin should definately have had a father that was either killed in some horrible way or was very abusive so Shmi and Anakin ran away.

AOTC: All the lovey scenes between Anakin and Padme, please stop, they don't work. Anakin's pissing and whining to Padme about everything being Kenobi's fault. Owen Lars should have been Kenobi's brother, as originally written.

I like everything in the original untainted classic trilogy and hate the changes to the SEs.

ROTJ: Ewoks are a bit too cutesy, but tolerable. I wish they were all Wookiees as originally planned.

3. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    How did the Ewoks swing C-3PO's throne from tree A to tree B? Oh well, I can easily live with it doesn't matter. Anything goes in SW.

4. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    Anakin's pissing and whining to Padme...
    If you had just found your mother, whom you had not seen in 10 years, tortured within an inch of her life only to have her die in your arms I think you would be a little whiney too. Granted, I don't know you.

5. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    Luke didn't blubber on and blaw his head off to Kenobi when he saw his Aunt's and Uncle's burned corpses. You see this hard determination in his face and you hear it in his voice when he speaks to Kenobi. Luke is supposedly only 18 at this time. There such a thing as too much emotion and this goes to show how far off track Lucas has gone from the OT. Quiet anger and seething rage under the surface would serve to define Anakin's character much better. To this date from the first two prequels it's pathetic and unbelieveable this little cry baby becomes the dark lord of the sith. I don't want offend anybody but a character like Dillon Klebold or Eric Harris, the two Columbine psychos, would be far more believeable.

6. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    Anakin and Luke are two totally different characters with two totally different destinies. What else do you expect but two totally different reactions? GL will never make everyone happy and for every person who is complaining about how Anakin over-reacted there are thirty who would be complaining if he hadn't been that way.

Anakin is still a little boy inside because he started his life out normally and then his world was turned upside down. The rate he had been developing at emotionally and mentally had also been drastically changed. The natural course of things had already been in motion when Qui-Gon found him and for it to have to apprubtly stop was damaging Anakin. He is a dysfunctional person with many emotional issues because the fact of the matter is that he was too old to be trained but he was trained anyway.

You could say that Luke's world was turned upside down too, but it is made very clear in ANH that that was what he wanted. Not only that but he wasn't subjected to the strict rules of the old Jedi Order. This isn't the case with Anakin. In TPM he even says, when faced with the reality of what he thought he wanted, "I don't want things to change." A grown-up Anakin cannot cope with change the same way Luke can. Something happening to you at 9 is much more traumatic than something happening at 18. And what happened to Anakin echoed through out the rest of his life.

7. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    No matter how much I love SW, I still fast forward through the anakin/padme seens in Aotc.
    Also when anakin says goodbye to his mother in TPM, this seen I way too dramatic, its as if anakin knows the next time he sees his mother she'll be dying.
    Altogether, Anakin has been quite a bugging character so far. I hope he'll be more cool and evil in EPIII and not too emotional.

8. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Anakins Character seemed very plausable. If you look at all his whinning and complaining. no wounder he came out to be an evil dark lord. I've said it many times before that AOTC anakin fits the roll perfactly. I feel there is nothing wrong with him. But i digress.

Jake Lloyed gets on my nervs but that is really about it.

9. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    i dont get why padme likes anakin.

-he is 5 years younger than her.
    -the last time she saw him, he was a little boy who said yipee alot.
    -he does nothing but whine and try to hit on her.
    -he makes horrible jokes
    -he wants to leave the nubian paradise to go find his mom.
    -he is in favor of totalitarian leadership.

10. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    Read the AOTC novel. You will find your answers there.

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Does love always make sense in real life?
    Some girls are drawn to the bad boys, for whatever reason. It might be that they feel sorry for them and want to help.
    In the case of Anakin and Padmé, I'd say that it was love at first sight. Not sexual love, mind you, I'm just talking affection. They were meant to be together, pure and simple.

12. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    im not saying that them loving eachother was impossible, just very odd given the circumstances.

13. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    If theres ONE thing in general life thats odd - it's love...

..and Michael Jackson (i couldnt resist)

14. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    One thing I was always bothered with in A New Hope was the way Leia reacted after Alderaan's destruction. Luke, Han, and the others arrived at the Death Star to save Leia only mere hours after Alderaan's destruction, and when they find her she's calmly relaxing in her prison chamber and cracks off quite a few one-liners.

She just lost her entire home planet: billions of people; her father; family; friends...her entire life. She doesn't even shed a tear. And later when talked to by General Dodanna (sp?) about Alderaan's destruction and fearing the worst, Leia almost shrugs it off as if it was nothing importaint.

I love A New Hope (who doesn't?). But honestly, that is the worst thing about the entire series. Leia should have been more emotional than she was.

15. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Leia should have been more emotional than she was.

Why? Because that's how all the people that you know acted when their planet exploded?

The things that bother me is all of the cartoons in the PT, but mostly the PT "Dark Lords". A hyper-active clown and then an old man. Wow, scary.

16. MyEternalRest

Mar 24, 2002
    We have no time for our sorrows, Commander.
    - Leia

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Leia always hated Alderaan and everyone who lived there. It would've appeared quite odd if she had revealed that, though, so she kept her mouth shut about it.

Some people do find clowns extremely scary, BTW.

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Why? Because that's how all the people that you know acted when their planet exploded?

Here's what Leia had to deal with during A New Hope:
    - the destruction of her home planet (billions of her own people dead)
    -her father dead; family dead; friends dead; allies dead; house gone; nothing left
    - the possibility that the Rebellion might fail or be destroyed
    - her own torture and possible death forcoming

Quite frankly, Leia's reaction to all that seemed fairly "happy-go-lucky" to an extent. I love Star Wars, but Leia's reaction to the fact that everything she loved was gone was handled poorly, IMO.

19. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I never thought about that before, ST, but now that you bring it up, it is rather odd that all we got was an uncomfortable expression before the planet was detroyed.
    Of course, she didn't seem very happy after the trash compactor, when she and Han were bickering.

20. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    Quite frankly, Leia's reaction to all that seemed fairly "happy-go-lucky" to an extent. I love Star Wars, but Leia's reaction to the fact that everything she loved was gone was handled poorly, IMO.

If this planet were destroyed, and I saw it happen from a safe and secure location, I would act just like Leia. I'm safe, but the planet is gone. Okay, should I be sad? Sure. Should I collaps in a weeping pile? Uh, no.
    Mostly she would be in shock, therefore no emotion. But even without that, what would you have her do? Fall down and cry? Real life emotion doesn't work like that. Besides, what would it accomplish?
    Her mission failed, the crew was executed, and the plans are who knows where. She knows she's dead, Tarkin told her that much. Then the planet goes boom. And you think that crying is going to help her out huh?
    I'm sure she cried enough to make you happy later on, after the work was done. That's what heroes do, they put their personal feeling aside, and focus on what needs to be done.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    If this planet were destroyed, and I saw it happen from a safe and secure location, I would act just like Leia. I'm safe, but the planet is gone. Okay, should I be sad? Sure. Should I collaps in a weeping pile? Uh, no.

Wow. I would react completely the opposite. I can't even begin to imagine how I would react to everything I've ever known being destroyed before my eyes.

So, you can honestly say that if Earth was destroyed, all your friends and family were dead, and you were alone and had a fear of execution, you would simply "feel sad" and crack off some few sarcastic one-liners like Leia? Honestly?

22. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    There's only one way to find out!

*walks to the garage to fetch the planet cracker*

23. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    So, you can honestly say that if Earth was destroyed, all your friends and family were dead, and you were alone and had a fear of execution, you would simply "feel sad" and crack off some few sarcastic one-liners like Leia? Honestly?

Yes. What else would there be to do?

24. Hammered_Hammerhead

Hammered_Hammerhead Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    From ANH: Where does Luke go when he gets pulled under in the trash compactor? In the scene it appears for all the world that everybody is standing on a floor that's covered by a few feet of water. Where is there to go? If the idea is that they're standing on a pile of debris in a narrow, tall room it ain't sold well.

From ESB: Where is the carbon freeze chamber, and how does one get to it? It's just this little room surrounded by a blue void.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.