main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Those that want to avoid many/any spoilers once TLJ gets closer. How do you plan on doing that

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Dec 1, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Mainly I am talking about the period inbetween the press screanings and when the official release date is (between the 9th and the 14th) how do you plan on avoiding stuff that is bound to be leaked online or on youtube?

My plan is to not go on youtube that week and avoid Star Wars themed sites online. Probably will delve into my Skyrim game that I have had for about a year now but have barely touched (think I have totaled about an hours playtime on it during that year).

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Is this really something that deserves its own thread in the Literature forum?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I will buy and consume 100 Kinder eggs to inoculate myself against surprises.

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I donno about you guys but I'm going to superglue my eyes and ears closed, wrap my head in aluminum foil, coat the foil with impenetrable resin, jump into a pool of liquid cement, wait for the cement to dry, arrange for a trustworthy assistant to put the hardened cement block in some sort of sound-proof foam room inside a shipping container, lock the shipping container with 12 titanium-steel padlocks, bury the shipping container 37 feet underground, put more cement on top, pour insanely hot liquefied iron over the cement, let the metal solidify, then have someone park a 1993 Toyota Corolla (with those weird wooden bead seat covers) on top of the still steaming metal pile.

Or I'm just going to go about my daily business and simply avoid the threads clearly marked spoilers.

Yeah. One of those two options.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    *hands RF his beer back*

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    My plan is to not care.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Frankly, if TLJ does anything major - you have no feckin' hope of avoiding it at all.

If say, yeah, I'm going to say it, they kill off Luke, there is no way to avoid it, short of not going on the internet, reading a newspaper, watching or listening the news because it'll be everywhere. Think GOT's Red Wedding to nth degree.

Here, in contrast, will be a haven of calm, enforced by Smega-Class Banhammers for anyone acting the prat, but again - enter threads with care.

9. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Personally I'm hoping that the people at those screenings are responsible enough not to give out spoilers before release (I'm sure press especially will gave some form of NDA in place). Realistically though, stuff will come out and the major geek sites & blogs will put it all up for clicks. I think you'll be safe with sites like theforce.net but I'd be wary of places like comicbook.com

Really the safest thing is to unfollow/mute any potential sources of spoilers on social media & don't visit sites where that stuff might be posted. And avoid the spoilers forum here ;)

Personally, the risk period for me is 8th-10th. I'm seeing the film Wednesday 13th (double bill with TFA starting 9pm) & I'm going down to London on Monday 11th as we're seeing A Christmas Carol so those few days it should be easy enough for me to stay offline. I just need to will power to stay offline a little longer to be completely safe.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not going to watch videos or read articles, interviews or reviews. Will make an exception for the soundtrack. Because, why not?

And if I do get spoiled about something, so be it. Life happens.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And you expect the track listing to include "Leia's Noble End" ?

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    It was pretty lame that Lucas allowed the track to spoil Qui Gon's death. I think it was an indication of just how out of touch he was with the fanbase by then.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope. It will help set the mood and expectations.
    Probably something spoilery if that one leaked track list was true. But Williams hasn't failed on the music yet. TFA was a let down at first but has grown on me.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep - it gives the TPM soundtrack a really dubious immortality.

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I heard that it is going to be opening up a day earlier in the UK than here in the States. Is it pretty normal for you guys to have movies opening up on Thursday with previews coming out Wednesday nights?

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  17. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah the Thursday opening is pretty common. Star Wars and most comic book movies will get Wednesday night/Thursday morning midnight screenings as well, but we don't get Wednesday evening preview screenings. If there's no midnight opening then Thursday AM would be the first screening.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'll probably just avoid Facebook and YouTube and I'll probably be good like with TFA and Rogue One.

Even after I'd seen TFA I was actually surprised how courteous a lot of people were on spoilers. It was only really in January I started seeing articles about Han's death popping up everywhere.

That wasn't the case with Rogue One, where I saw tons of things about Jyn and Cassian's death and the Vader scene a few days after it came out (luckily this didn't affect me since I saw R1 within the first couple days or so after release but still).

It's weird to say it, but the JCF despite it being a dedicated site to SW, is actually probably one of the safest places for spoilers unless you actively go looking for them.

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Repeated blows to the head should wipe any memory of accidental spoilers. That or heavy drinking. Actually, going to watch TLJ while drunk might improve the movie, as I'm not optimistic about the sequels anyway. :p

More realistically, I guess just avoid most public forums. This place is pretty safe and civilized (thank you to the mods for doing a good job), but the rest of the Internet... yeah. I don't bother with facebook or twitter, nor do I play online games much (I let my swtor sub expire months ago and I turned off the chat there most of the time), and I usually avoid Youtube comments (which are usually wretched hives of scum and villainy anyway). I heard with TFA people were spamming spoilers on Youtube and in Battlefront as well, but fortunately for me I don't play Battlefront. And half the people who bought BF2 have probably returned or sold it already by now.

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I feel you man. I'm the same way. I'm thinking how to avoid spoilers. I guess that means not going on the internet....Excuse me while I saw off my hands......

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I did it somehow when TFA came out. It wasn't easy. General isolation from social media, this site, and pretty much everywhere else - and even then it wasn't entirely foolproof. The Uprising chat was a nest of spoilers back then, but obviously that won't be a problem this time.

22. Well i really dont care so much about the new movie
    So the spoilers will not affect me

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    [unplugs computer]
    Spoil me now, internet!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You then make the mistake of picking up the free newspaper on your way to work or turn on a TV.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I highly doubt news media would spoil the film. Even if I was so scared I just wouldn't read newspapers or watch TV... if I cared that much.