main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved." - when does this happen?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Blur, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DINVADER99

DINVADER99 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2004
    Exactly. That's what I said since Ep 2 came out.

2. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    You are making this terribly hard.
    I am not debating whether Anakin is the "one" being spoke of, I am debating whether it is an informed opinion of Obi-Wan's or a PRESUMPTION about what Anakin will probably turn out to be when it is revealed who QGJ's latest tag-along is.

Imagine me and my friend are on some kind of mission.
    It involves us travelling from A to B with a definite purpose.
    I am a man of duty, I am mindful of the mission and that takes priority.
    My chum is a whimsical sort, he likes to stop and take in his surroundings, focus on the here and now - from my POV, sometimes at the expense of the "mission".
    We get to a certain point in the journey and he stops at a market stall to buy some fruit.
    To me it is simply a mouldy old apple.
    For reasons that I cannot appreciate, my friend sees some inherant use for this mouldy old apple in the greater sheme of things.
    I jibe him about it.
    A little further along on our journey, my chum seems to be wasting more time than is neccessary yet again - he says he is popping back into town for some "unfinished business".
    I retort - "Why do I sense we have acquired another mouldy old apple?"
    Now, what I am discussing may turn out to be a wonderful pineapple, a worm-ridden kumquat, a shining jewel-encrusted peach with magical powers, or indeed, yet another mouldy old apple - I just don't know.
    But whatever "it" turns out to be, my statement is still about "it" - but it is purely a presumption about the nature of "it", not a worthwhile and valid assessment of "it" based on knowledge and experience of "it".
    Later when it is revealled what my pal was going back for, when I get to meet this mystery fruit, it turns out it was actually the peach.

3. EwokThatCried

EwokThatCried Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2003
    GiG, that was an entertaining post.

Regarding NeoBaggins and his "pathetic lifeform" hangup..., it'd be as well to let him go - he's too far out of range. ;)

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    The people of literalville really do make it very hard.

Gear, well done on your level of patience.

On topic - The statement is not a description of an actual event - IMHO ;)

5. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    "it turns out it was actually the peach."

Why are you arguing that? I never said Obi Wan thought Anakin was pathetic AFTER he met him personally upfront. I said that Obi Wan refered to Anakin as that of which he thought of JarJar. And this wasn't even something I was making an issue to begin with. It was PART of a point I was making about how things were when Obi Wan "first knew" Anakin. The poster I was talking to extracted the pathetic lifeform thing and made it an issue. I would have said nothing else about it but it was brought back up. Now we have uninformed posters chattering in the background about my "hang-up" on the issue when I am merely addressing peoples continued posts on it.

When Obi Wan "first knew" Anakin he felt that a pathetic lifeform may have joined the group. If being impressed with his Midichlorian count solidifies that Ben was "amazed at how strong the force was with him", then you must accept that he also sensed he was a potentially pathetic lifeform when he first knew him.

6. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I wasn't trying to argue, I just saw a post I disagreed with and pointed out why I disagreed.
    Then it went on and on - I'm just putting my POV across.

Okay, but you understand it was a totally uninformed reference on Obi's part.
    It was speculative.
    He never actually regarded Anakin as being pathetic - before he ever met him, he predicted/assumed/speculated that he would be pathetic.

Okay...

No no no and no.
    BEFORE Obi-Wan ever knew Anakin, he predicted that whoever Qui-Gon had picked up would PROBABLY TURN OUT TO BE another "pathetic lifeform".
    Surely you must see the distinction!

If you cannot, then we will just have to agree to disagree...

7. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003

"BEFORE Obi-Wan ever knew Anakin, he predicted that whoever Qui-Gon had picked up would PROBABLY TURN OUT TO BE another "pathetic lifeform"."

I partially agree with that because Obi Wan's feelings were involved when making his assessment. It wasn't just a guess, it was a feeling. But I understand your position on the issue and will now conclude this particular discussion. I can say no more on the matter that I havn't already.

8. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    It always seemed to me like he was just joking around. But, to each his own.

9. ryno1234

ryno1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2003
    I think the "pathetic lifeform" statement was meant to show the arrogance of the Jedi. Clearly, Qui-Gon had BIG issues with the council, and Obi-Wan didn't. This statement was needed to transform our image of Obi-Wan at the end.

From: "If you would just follow the code you'd be on the council by now"
    To: "I gave Qui-Gon my word, I will train Anakin, without the council's approval if necessary"

Clearly, Obi-Wan views the council and being a jedi differently at the end than at the beginning. I think a sub-text to the PT is our recognition of Obi-Wan becoming a powerful jedi. His growth should mirror Anakin's, and we can see from Obi-Wan's growth where Anakin went wrong.

10. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Apology accepted as well. :)

I think you're reading too much into what is really a throwaway, sarcastic comment. I don't think Obi Wan is sensing Anakin as a Jedi; he was saying "sense" in the way that we ordinary humans would say it.

Qui Gon's response makes it clear that the unfinished business he's referring to is freeing Anakin. Obi Wan didn't know that that was the unfinished business, and Qui Gon was informing him that it was.

OK, but I still don't think a podracer is the GFFA equivalent to a car, even a fast one. If there is a GFFA equivalent to a car, it would probably be something more like Luke's landspeeder.

You forget that Anakin had already identified himself as a pilot and he had been one all his life.

Yes, we only see him pilot a fighter twice in the trilogy. But Obi Wan was his master for ten years; I'm sure he saw other examples of his star piloting. Also, Obi Wan was in all likelihood exaggerating for Luke's benefit.

It starts out that way, but then he tells R2-D2 to get it off autopilot. He pilots it himsel

11. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    I was commending what I thought was a good post and it didn't consist of me telling someone to "shut-up". And yes, it was indeed intended to be directed at a specific group. They have no problem directing their thoughts in my direction so it is mutual. The Moderators should have stepped in and checked the person who told you to shut-up on the X-FILE site.

And for the record: I'v been called an idiot, a basher, told to shut-up, been called a F-ing basher by a former admin, called a whiney ***** BY an admin, and each time the offender was NOT corrected. So I can understand were you may be angry that someone told you to shetup and no one interveined. Darth-Sinister is good about intervention and not throwing his wieght around if he doesn't agree with you.

I don't think we have too many differences with the elements previously discussed. I think people get the idea that the things I point out are things that I have a strong stand-point on. I'm just adding to the discussion and giving my two cents. I think Lars having more interaction with and first-hand knowledge of Anakin would have not only fit smoother but given ANH a new outlook. Doesn't make me like the movie any less. It's just a basis for debate and discussion. The only things I feel strongly about are the SE changes with the ghost and how Lucas discribes his reasoning for the Greedo scene. Other than that, I'm like, whatever.

Funny thing: People were always talking about why 3po didn't rememeber this and that. Why does he not rememeber the Lars homestead and why doesn't Vader and him notice each other. Not to put down anyone else but, you won't catch NeoBaggins obsessing on something that trivial. He's a droid, who cares. He doesn't care and Vader doesnt care about him. I mean, what is he going to say: "I'ts like a second language to me. What, you don't remember me? I used to stand over there." Not, likely. But ironically enough, as insignificant as 3po's memeory is, George makes an effort to show that his memory is wiped in ROTS. I was floored. What Lucas thinks is important to the story is his ballgame alone. I'm just here to talk about it.

Good day.

12. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    I thought being a Jedi was a "crusade" in itself.

Obi Wan specifically says "stay in Tattoine and not get involved. Owen like his father being moisture farmers prefer that laid back life, living just to live. While Anakin goes and becomes a Jedi. And "involved" means in general by becoming a Jedi. Luke tells Obi Wan "I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father". As as we learn, Jedi usually get involved in many things, going away from a place to do whatever necessary.

The term "idealistic" refers to they way the Jedi do their work, like the way a former Jedi Dooku is deemed as a "political idealist.

Not sure if I made any sense [face_beatup]

13. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I know it didn't. And I'm sorry I misinterpreted it.

I'm sorry you were called all those things. I've been called names and been spoken to rudely as well, including by admins.

OK.

14. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i thought someone said everything obi wan says to luke is just a big lie to get him to learn about the force

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The story of Anakin giving Luke the saber someday and how he died, were lies or half truths. The rest is pretty accurate.

16. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Read what I said you nincompoop! You just repeated it. It doesn't matter if he has anything to do with it, he still has an opinion. It's like you and me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.