main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Thought regarding Naboo leaders & possible offspring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SparklingRoyalty, Sep 23, 2015.

1. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    I have always wondered what would happen if the Queen (or King) of Naboo had offspring while elected. Like for instance, what if Padme had given birth to Luke and Leia sometime during her reign as Queen of Naboo. Would they have been called the Prince and Princess of Naboo for the duration of her reign? Perhaps been referred to by some other fancy title (like for example Duke and Duchess of Naboo) throughout Padme's reign? Or would they have had no title at all since it wasn't a monarchy?

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It was an elective monarchy. The title only applies to the person elected.

True Sith, mes520 and Jo Lucas like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The question being - what happens after the previous monarch is voted out? How many monarchial privileges remain - and are they hereditary?

Is Padme still "Princess" despite no longer being "Queen"?

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Perhaps body-doubles are one of those 'perks' (as we see in Episode II)?

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    She had them because she was a senator, not because she was a queen once.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  6. SparklingRoyalty

SparklingRoyalty Jedi Padawan star 1

May 1, 2015
    But no other Senator (Palpatine and Bail being notable examples) were shown with doubles like that, so I personally don't believe that's the reason (or at least a major reason) why they are there. In fact, I believe those women chose to do that for Padme not because she was a Senator, but because of the amount of respect they had for her as a person in general (some of which definitely had to come while serving her when she was Queen of Naboo.)

Padme was not royalty anymore, but because she was so respected and beloved by the people of Naboo, she was in fact still getting things that was supposed to be reserved for Naboo royalty only (ie her chrome plated starship for instance). The doubles could be a possible perk, but I still think they would have done it regardless.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm not sure, it's an Elective Monarchy. Maybe, or perhaps they would have been called Prince Consort and Princess Consort like Bail Organa was Prince Consort of Alderaan.

8. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    Naboo was always interesting to me. On the surface, it appeared to be an idyllic democracy, but there was something deeply wrong there. Yes, Naboo society elected a teenage monarch for her idealism, but that same society also seemed to require that she surround herself with lookalikes, employ a decoy, and keep a few blasters hidden in the armrest of her throne. What does that say about peaceful Naboo? I think Naboo was just a microcosm for the entire Republic of that era. Everything looked ok, but there was a deep rot at the heart of that civilization.

9. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

Where the handmaidens for the Queen when she was on Naboo, or when she traveled off planet?

I never regarded Naboo as idealized. But a deep rot at the heart of its center? I don't know. I would describe Coruscant in that manner, but not Naboo. I must admit that I do tend to regard an idealized civilization as an illusion in real life and questionable writing in fiction. I guess Lucas thought the same.

10. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009

I can accept that a head of state would have a security detail. But lookalikes? That's not ... normal. We don't see anything of the kind for Valorum, Bail Organa, or even Palpatine, even when he held the same position that Padme would eventually take. And the blasters in the throne thing ... were they expecting shootouts during government council sessions?

This all suggests a deep fear of assassination, and I don't think Padme was given to paranoia. I can only conclude that Naboo was suffering a severe problem with political violence. That's not a sign of a healthy, thriving democracy.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Even senior elected officials in RL retain a certain amount of privileges once they're done - lifelong pensions and benefits - but it's not hereditary (thank the Force - anyone related to that filthy, backward, ignorant, misogynistic, bigoted goon we're finally rid of down here shouldn't be entitled to anything other than being spat on in the street, pelted with rotten vegetables and beaten senseless if they should ever try to use said connection as anything other than the prelude to an apology. But I digress...). Naboo probably would be much the same.

However, there's always the sort of non-official prestige ascribed to certain leaders that carries on well after they're gone - look at the Kennedys, they're often referred to as the 'royal family' of the United States, in a fashion that's only partly tongue-in-cheek. The US is a republic and a democracy, but the Kennedy name still opens doors and carries a certain amount of weight above and beyond something as trivial as personal merit.
    While Queen, Padme did free the entire planet from the Trade Federation blockade, so she was a planetary hero as a result, then a celebrated Senator. You'd imagine that the Naberrie family would enjoy much the same sort of status on Naboo as the Kennedy family does in the US.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    What if they don't want to be? Or that Lucas feels that they shouldn't?

Don't forget, this is STAR WARS, not "Thirteen Days". STAR WARS is not reality. However, even in the real world, some heads of state and military leaders were not above using actors or decoys for certain situations.

13. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Really interesting questions about the handmaidens. I always thought of them as the Secret Service. (Don't former US presidents continue to have SS protection after they leave office?) I would assume any King elected would have the equivalent. (Handman? Handyman?) Wonder what THOSE costumes would look like!

14. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Naboo was an elective monarchy?! That doesn't even make sense lol, monarchs aren't elected.

15. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Welcome to the land of Star Wars.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure they are - even if it's a rare variant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective_monarchy

17. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

Interesting lol.

18. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Is it possible that Naboo became an heredity monarchy in the future?

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

It's an odd concept for some people, but I've always accepted it. I think the line Padme has about her two terms and her desire to serve in the Senate as opposed to remain a permanent monarch shows her selflessness in contrast to Palpatine's desire to remain Chancellor due to the crises that keep arising.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why would that happen?