main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Thoughts about a new villain

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by sashlon1138, Nov 18, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jedi civil war would mean, like, 100s of Jedi when Ep. 7 kicks off, and I can't see the Jedi numbers swelling to that much entirely off-screen, y'know?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I agree, though a Jedi civil war would be great for a spin off movie or spin off trilogy. I always thought there could be 3 types of Jedi, the traditional Jedi, grey Jedi, and pacifists Jedi.

Traditional - Most of the Jedi you see in the PT, getting involved in war when necessary, no family life, etc.

Grey - Similar to Anakin before he went full on Sith, welcoming war, a wife/family life, etc.

Pacifists - Not really shown in any of the movies, similar to monks, never getting involved in wars, don't even carry a lightsaber, etc.

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I want to see a real bad a$$, he will be called.... Darth Sphincter. ;)

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'd like to see the new bad guy be a Jedi. Not a dark Jedi, or a grey Jedi - just a guy with the right motivations but the wrong ideas. With a fledgling Jedi Order, I think it's what makes the most sense. He/She could be redeemed, but perhaps for Ep. VIII their apprentice stays dark and goes full circle or something. Maybe the damage is already done and opened the way for new bad guys a la pirates or bounty hunters. Maybe other Jedi didn't like the attitude the order had before homeskillet's redemption and leave out of spite. The possibilities are endless!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    While interesting, that doesn't put butts in seats, you need the red lightsaber somewhere in there... It could be a subplot but that is it

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. I don't think it really matters what color the lightsaber is (they could give the rogue Jedi a completely new color of lightsaber). If the characters are well written and their motivations for leaving Luke's order are clear, does it really matter that they don't wield a red lightsaber. Giving the audience something they haven't yet seen doesn't mean you're going to lose your audience. I just don't know why people would lose interest in Star Wars if they don't get the red lightsaber. It just seems a bit trivial to me but that's just my opinion.

Graphic likes this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I am just saying for Disney's first foray into SW I would be cautious not to go too far afield as to not make it feel like SW. Keep it Sith for now

8. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    The red light saber is just a color, nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, Greivous didn't use red lightsabers when he fought obi wan. Anakin didn't use a red lightsaber in episode 3 either when he was dubbed Darth Vader. And no one really complained.

I know you guys are really talking about having the sith back and stuff. But hey, why not try something new is all I'm saying.

Edit: woah Kyris you ninja'd me! Yeah I suppose it is safe for Disney to keep sith. That is a good point. Would be changing the storyline a bit. Not that we're not used to that already. SW has had it's storyline changing ever since episode 5 when it was decided Vader would be Luke's dad lol! So, you never know, the prophecy might be one of the things that will be changed haha!

Graphic and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I understand what you're saying but I don't think Disney needs to worry about playing safe. I think they're already safe in assuming they're going to make their money back (and then some!) on Star Wars no matter what they do. I think it would be a pretty bad idea for Disney or LFL to handcuff the writers to one specific set of villains (even villains as important to the saga as the Sith) or one motif instead of allowing them to explore different avenues.

Episode Swag likes this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Isn't that a gamble though? You can't have two possible good fighting it out and sell as much many. There clearly needs to be an out and out villain, because it is Disney and it is Star Wars. Scar wasn't kinda good, Jaffar wasn't kinda good, even Sid wasn't kind of good. If the film has an antagonist and not a villain then we are in trouble because it won't be as beloved. While it doesn't have to be Sith, it shouldn't be good a vs. good b. Children won't understand. It would be far better to have the two different Jedi philosophies pared together, much like Qui Gon and Obi Wan, but with Qui Gon's being much more aggressive along the lines of Mace Windu. That way the rogue Jedi/anti hero is still good and understandable however not to make children, and less accessible to all save for the hardcore fans.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Totally agree here. We definitely need a clear villain but I simply don't believe it needs to be a Sith. A character whose goals are noble (uniting a galaxy, fighting an idealistic crusade, etc.) but whose methods are ruthless can be a quite interesting villain IMO. Whoever this character would be could figure that the ends justify the means but can't quite comprehend that their tactics (while used with the best of intentions) make them no better than the Sith. I think we saw this on a small scale with Anakin in Episode III but an entire group of rogue Jedi with this philosophy could be quite threatening.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    To bring in an EU reference, that would basically be Kyp's Dozen in the NJO books. But I definitely see your point. Still it would be hard to portray them as "Good" when being so bad, so they would quickly become what Dooku should have been, a rogue Jedi who opposed the order, yet still wanted to do good.

13. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats just silly. I go make pancakes now

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Whomever they come up with, I just hope it isn't a cyborg. I can see them wearing Vader-like armor and helmet, or even Maul-like tatooes and robes, but please, no more cyborgs.

15. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    if JJ abrams is in there i think a big invasion seems likely - he won''t want it too much like star trek 1 or 2

16. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I want to see hundreds of Sith of all different species battling hundreds of Jedi... Something epic, like weve never seen on film outta this franchise. If LOTR can give you epic ground battles so could SW.

17. Number_5

Number_5 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    This. The Sith are a bit played out. I'd even say they were given too much structure, what with the naming convention, and the gaggle of red lightsabers, etc. A fallen Jedi who may not even realize he is fallen? That would rock.

18. Scimitar13

Scimitar13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2013
    It will be quite interesting to see who they choose as a villain for the new series. I would prefer a new character, though if an old one would to be brought back I like the idea of Darth Plagueis as the villain.

19. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    A Star Wars trilogy villain would have to meet two criteria to make me happy:
    A. Must be Sith, or incredibly strong evil force user.
    B. must not be a clone of an old villain, or a resurrected one, or a "guess he didn't die after all" one.

This isn't fan fiction or expanded universe, it's a new Star Wars trilogy, let's have some standards when it comes to originality and imagination.

Oh, and:
    C. Must not be robot with human heart that for some reason wields 19 lightsabers just "cuz it looks kewl"

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  20. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Hi from the new member!

Now I must separate what I want to see from what is probable, but I think that Sith are first who are gone from the scene forever. The narrative showed them suceed like never before (EIII) and lose like never before (EVI). The history of galaxy as it will go from now on, will be fallout from their reign at the start, but their reemergance is not probable, at least not in the sense of their specific order ideology.

Personally, I hope it will be not some invasion of new alien species as a whole either. The movies are famous for connection of personal conflict with political one, it never was about "national conflict" and it should stay that way. At this point, some droid who tinks midichlorian count is BS and wants to connect with Force would be preferable.

What I would vaguely imagine would be group of "villains" with new possibly dangerous ideas how Force can be used into achieving new kind of life / social order / state of existence, however their experimenting followers would clash with various circles of interest in the New Republic leading to the conflict, new way of Star Wars, in which nobody is right and main heroes must find a way into some form of ideological coexistence with some antagonists joining them.