main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Thoughts about a new villain

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by sashlon1138, Nov 18, 2012.

1. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Villainous force-users are a must. Throw whatever you want at the Jedi, any bad guy who isn't a force-user is no real threat. Unfortunately, Lucas has a big hole to fill when it comes to the villain(s) of the ST. The most powerful sith, Darth Vader, was defeated and turned back to the light side and his master the Emperor was killed. Any villain would have to be more of a threat then Vader/Sidious to be believable, because Luke beat them by himself and now he has friends (I would assume he has at least one force-using friend.)

Ventress as the big bad guy? Don't make me laugh. She is a mouse compared to Vader or Sidious.
    Maul or Fett or Palpitine being resurrected? Don't make me puke. You can't get any lazier creatively than bringing back dead characters.

I'm very interested to see what Lucas does but rest assured there will be a bad force-using character.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Its not really needed. Plus its unwise to ASSume we KNOW for a fact what the story will be about or who it will be about.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Luke didn't beat the Emperor, Vader did. Luke only beat Vader because they were related, He was half Vader's age and Vader was a physical & emotional wreck by that stage.

An underworld crime sydicate. Run by Prince Xizor, a man so influential he almost superceded Darth Vader as the 2nd most powerful person in the Galaxy.

4. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Ventress is sith enough. Dark jedi are not jedi and sith are not jedi. That is all I am saying.

5. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    But Luke didn't defeat the Emperor by himself. Luke was beaten and Vader turned on the Emperor. While he did best Vader, he never even fought Sidious. But I do think that any new villain would have to be equal in power to the Emperor (or rise to that level by Episode IX). I would not be unhappy with the concept of a force-user connected to the underworld who discovers Sith 'stuff' and then begins to influence others to attack the Jedi, eventually gaining mastery and power throughout the trilogy - perhaps pairing up with a disillusioned former student of Luke's. I dunno...I'm glad I'm not the one responsible for writing these movies...

6. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah but that's just splitting hairs. Point is Luke went in against the two most powerful Sith and came out the victor.
    A character like Ventress being more of a threat to Luke is not believable. She was an apprentice of Dooku who himself was only being used by Sidious.

I can say with certainty there will be a bad force-user. I never was scared of Thrawn because when it comes down to it, Luke will beat him black and blue-blue.

But whatever bad guy they come up with, I strongly suspect Luke will be killed off early on to get the bad guy "over."

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's perfectly possible for someone without the Force to beat a Jedi, Jango Fett did it (and plenty of others have in the EU).

Lex Luthor was obviously weaker than Superman, that doesn't mean he wasn't a threat to the Man of Steel.

8. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    You're not a wrestling fan, are you?

And I see what you're saying about Luke, and it may be splitting hairs, but Luke walking out of that room alive had more to do with Vader's history than it did with Luke's power. Luke was beaten by the Emperor and was seconds away from death. But I do agree that by the time we see Luke in Ep. VII, his power will be equal to The Emperor and Vader's power at their height, so any new villain better be a very considerable threat. And I personally don't like the idea of the Mandalorians being the primary threat, though I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of alliance between a dark Jedi/Sith Lord and the Mandalorians, resulting in the death of Luke.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I doubt Luke will ever be as powerful as Sidious or Vader, and he doesn't have to be to succeed. The history of the Sith & Jedi is vast, Vader was destined to be more powerful than any who had gone before him but was unable to reach that level. Lucas himself said that Sidious became the most powerful Sith ever, that's impressive given how powerful many past Sith Lords were.

I can't see any new threat being as powerful as what Luke faced in the OT, doesn't mean it can't be a big problem for the New Republic and the Jedi.

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Ventress isn't a sith. And i think you are getting confused. The term "dark jedi" does not mean said person is a jedi. It can be used for people who are ex-jedi (have a jedi background) but ceased to be jedi when they turned to the dark side. It can also refer to dark siders that are not sith, but also have had no jedi background.

The term i believe originated when certain jedi, before the Sith ever came into existence, turned to the dark side.

Let me inform you.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Jedi

11. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah they could beat a Jedi but they were the underdogs. The good guys should be the underdogs-it makes for interesting cinema-and since the good guys are Jedi they have to be at least equally matched and the only way to do that is with another force-user. Superman is a perfect example. Yeah Lex Luthor was a threat but he was still an underdog and that doesn't get the same emotional investment from the audience as someone who could crush the protagonists would. It's just not good writing.

12. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    If a new sith arises, then we have to ask ourselves where was this new sith or this new antagonist villain during the six films? If the new enemy is young, then maybe he or she was born after the Return of the Jedi, but will a younger bad guy be interesting enough and strong enough to last through the next films?

13. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

Ventress can become a sith like Vader eventually became a sith. Vader was a dark jedi for at least one second or hypothetically speaking if Vader were to be without Sideous. Yes, Vader was sith since he was an apprentice to a sith lord. But hypothetically, Dooku was a dark jedi who was a sith apprentice too, and Ventress was an apprentice of an apprentice of a sith lord. Yes, Ventress was not sith but Ventress was more sith than jedi. Ventress was abandoning the way of the jedi and was beginning to adopt sith things.

14. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    You bring up a good point. Lucas wrote himself into a corner when he wrote the ending to ROTJ in the early 80's. The Emperor was originally supposed to be defeated at the end of the ST in episode IX and since that was incorporated into ROTJ he has to come up with something new.

And we're all very interested to see what he comes up with.

15. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

If Sideous was originally going to die in the ninth or twelve film, then why can't Disney find a way to make that happen still? Disney is the source of all magic and miracles, and what would be cooler than Sideous or Plagueis or Tenebrous or Vader or Maul or Bane or Ventress or evil Windu or something really exciting?

16. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Because Lucas has said that the resurrection of Palpitine is not the direction he would have gone in. And bringing back dead characters is lazy writing.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    But dooku was not a dark jedi when he was a sith. Now if Dooku turned to the dark side, but never became an apprentice to Palpatine, went his own path, then he is a dark jedi, but since he became a sith, he is no longer a dark jedi.

18. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    if Ventress became an apprentice of a sith then she can be a sith in future films

19. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

Unless if Sideous didn't actually die.

20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    According to RotJ Screenplay and novel, Luke defeated the DARKSIDE. That's what he did when he refused to turn.

Lucas: Vader was 80% as powerful as Palpatine, but Anakin had the potential to be 2 times as powerful as the Emperor. Luke has the same potential as Anakin. So, according to Lucas, not only is Luke as powerful as Sidious and Vader, he's twice as powerful as Sidious.

How about Aurra Sing as a villain. They could tie in the concept they were thinking about using for AotC where she was responsible for the Tuskens capturing Shmi and torturing her.

21. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012

Would Aurra Sing be a dark jedi bounty hunter or more sith, if she returns?

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    a dark jedi bounty hunter

23. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    can a dark jedi take on Luke? isnt Luke so much stronger than that?

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    wasn't Kenobi stronger than Jango or Grevious? They still made thoase fights "work."

The problem is that no villain by themselves will be as strong as Luke. It's in the setup and odds

25. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    as long as it is exciting enough.... just dont make it like indiana jones versus a fat kid