main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thoughts about fan films on sci fi

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by cruznseal2, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruznseal2

cruznseal2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I was really disappointed that none of the truly good fan films got recognition (save troops) I did enjoy the full hour of star wars entertainment but all in all i thought it portrayed star wars and fan films in general in a rather amateur light.

that said there were plenty of good laughs. Christmas Tauntauns and Jar Jar's Walking Papers were outstanding.

I also tapped it so if anybody hasn't gotten a chance to see and misses the later showing a 11:00 just let me know and i'll get you a copy

-mike

2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I thought it was alright. Aside from Troops, all the great ones weren't even on the show. I did like the "Empire of One" commercial though, I was laughing pretty hard at that one. How could GL pick Christmas Tauntauns?

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    All the movies were edited to hell. Alot of really good stuff wasn't even mentioned. The Best In Show winner was totallly lame, and much like the Holiday Special, George was responsible.

Oh well... I guess that's TV. If you want the good stuff you have to go to Atom Films.

4. Figrin_D_an

Figrin_D_an Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    In regards to the Best in Show Award (GL's pick): Did it seem to anyone else like he had no clue what was going on?... almost like he didn't really pick the winner, and he was just there to read the little sheet with the winner on it... it just struck me like kind of a sham... anyway...

I agree that most of the best films weren't shown at all, with the exception of Troops... and the commercial-style ones were pretty good. Other than that... I really wasn't that impressed.

Oh well.... at least I can download all of the good ones... :)

5. cruznseal2

Aug 19, 2001
    I couldn't agree more. when he started going off on how the winning film hadn't used lots technology and advanced computer software i almost gagged. an entirely animated short that doesn't use technology !?

6. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    starwars rap was funny!
    :)
    jedi kiss rock

7. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Remember kiddies...that's why I have Filmcon once a year. If you want to see a particular fan film, or just want to see a lot of them all at once, let me know. Last yaer we had over 4 hours of new films all made by fans. Let me know a title, and I;ll do my best to hunt it down.

Eric

8. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I've never thought that Star Wars rap video was funny. And that's not an anti-rap sentiment.

9. SoloYT1300

SoloYT1300 Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2002
    I agree with Figrin...
    I thought that Lucas said that the overall winer was a movie that did not require alot of CGI work...did I hear him wrong, or is Lucas getting old, and dumb?

10. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Yes, after seeing the show on Scifi I was very glad I had the opportunity to watch most of the films at Celebration 2.

My favorites were:
    Silent but Deadly
    Jar Jar's Walking Papers
    Star Wars: Toys that Never Were

11. Darth_Lee

Darth_Lee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    I only saw the last 20 minutes or so, so I missed "Troops" which I keep hearing about but have never seen. Anyway, the "Empire of One" commercial had me rolling on the floor laughing..."I'm here to help..."

My point though is, it seemed to me like Lucas wanted to be anywhere but there and had no idea what he was babbling about. After about 45 seconds of his rambling I was looking for the mute button.

12. cruznseal2

Aug 19, 2001
    Anyone up for a get together to see some GOOD fan films, like say around November, in Madison, at a little thing we like to call Film Con.

after 2 days 15 hours 03:07 minutes we'll have to start the count down to filmcon.

13. jedi_kiss_rock_

May 12, 2002
    hey gang,

It seemed like GL wanted to pick a movie with no "real" people in it.
    I cant wait till AOTC comes out, this thursday, its like christmas..... oh joy

thx :)
    jedi kiss rock

14. Jedi_Bane

Jedi_Bane Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    christmas? no...

chirstmas = a huge mess, annoying relatives, and arguing family members

Release of AOTC = fellow fans, lightsaber duels, and the next episode in the Star Wars Saga!

15. jedi_kiss_rock_

May 12, 2002
    true,

i mean the excitement leading to the event, silly.

:)
    jedi kiss rock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.