main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thoughts about the name "AOTC"

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Rogue_Pilot, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Pilot

Rogue_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    You know I started thinking about the names of the different episodes and realized that the most revered episode of all- Episode V, is also the one that had the silliest name up until Episode II.
    "The Empire Strikes Back"? Think about it for just a second there folks. I know you're so used to it it might be a bit hard but think what you would say is episode II had been called "The Republic strikes back" or "The Trade Federation Strikes Back" (assuming of course that episode V had not been named ESB). It's just a really silly name. But it works. Because it's a fun 50s B-Movie "Saturday Matinee" (as Lucas would put it) name. And none of the fans ever complained because we're used to it since we were this big *indicates knee level*.
    "Attack of the Clones" had gotten a lot of criticism for its silly name, but this has been a part of starwars since 1980!
    And in 10 years from now when you show your kids these movies they will probably think it's a really cool name.

Uh, well that's it for my 'ickle rant.

2. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Title always worked for me.

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I like the name. It sounds cool and is original.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It took me about 24 hours after the AOTC title to realize JUST THAT.

Now I love that title SO MUCH!!!! :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah, cheesy titles are a part of the franchise. My beef with the title is that it made me think that the clones were the ones doing the attacking (instead of coming to the defense of the Jedi and Republic).

6. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "My beef with the title is that it made me think that the clones were the ones doing the attacking (instead of coming to the defense of the Jedi and Republic)."_Quixotic Sith

I think that's the point of the title. Sure the clones were helping the Jedi and Republic but why. Their help, is part of Palpy's overall scheme to attack the Jedi and the Republic. Notice Yoda's reaction when Obi-wan says the clones were the key to their victory, notice it was the clone army that got the senate to give Palps those nifty emergency powers.
    It's easy to point at Dooku, Jango Fett, and the droids, and say those are the bad guys attacking the Jedi and the republic, the good guys, but those are just pawns the real enemy is Sidious behind the scenes attacking the good guys both from without and within.
    The attack of the Clones is not Clones versus Jedi but the situation culminating in the clone army which forces the good guys to go to war providing Palpy more power.

7. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    They didnt excactly for it well but it still worked for me!

8. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Of note here is that in early 1980, there was a great deal of fan grumbling about the title of the first sequel. "STAR WARS" is about the coolest name for a film ever; and as Rogue-Pilot points out, a noun-verb-adverb phrase like "TESB" just sounds goofy in comparison. However, by May, all misgivings re: the title were replaced by the instant controversy generated by the film's climactic revelation!
    Interesting that some fans still have a problem with "AOTC". My point is, in order for the CLONE WARS to begin, the clones in question must at some point attack, yes? Makes perfect sense: it's a classic title, just like ESB.

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    "The Clone Wars" was the popular choice amongst the fans for Episode II, but that's too simple.

As always, Lucas takes the basic idea and puts the necessary 'Flash Gordon' style spin on it ;)

Therefore, I predict Episode III will actually be called "Mr. Nasty Comes To Town." :p

10. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    I didn't like the title when I first heard it. Everyone said: "you'll get used to it! It's very Star Wars!" Nope. Still don't like it. Doesn't bug me quite so much, but still...

The Empire Strikes Back is a title that's just cheesy enough to me. You could say that it's just because I grew up with it... well, how can I argue with that? The Republic (or Trade Federation) Strikes back sounds strange because "Republic" and "Trade Federation" are very non-threatening words. In fact, I dare anyone to come up with a cool Star Wars movie title involving the phrase "Trade Federation". "The Emperor Strikes Back" works, as does "The Sith Strike Back", or "The Jedi Strike Back". Even "The Confederacy Strikes Back" seems decent enough to me.

Now try "Attack of the Sith". "Attack of the Jedi". "Attack of the Confederacy". Yuck!

There's just too many "Attack of the _______" movies for me not to associate the title, and besides, as some others have pointed out, it doesn't feel like the most accurate title in the world.

I thought The Phantom Menace was a pretty cool title, in spite of the complaining. I'll never be comfortable with A New Hope though.

You know what would be a cool name for a SW movie? "Wrath of the Tyrant". 50 bonus points if you know where I stole that from ;).

11. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i agree withwhoever said The Clone Wars, for episode 2. it was mentioned in ANH, and it should have stuck with EPISDOE II.

Do you guys think wickett the ewok was hung like a wookie?

12. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I thought it was "ATOC"? ?[face_plain]

tf

13. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    The title sounded so 5oish and like some cheesy science fiction movie, but it works too, it's interesting. It sounds like some video game or something too :p

14. DarthReam

DarthReam Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    I always thought that the titles went together sort of.

New hope = Luke bringing back the jedi.
    The phantom menace = Maul bringing back the sith.

esb = Empire dealing a blow to the alliance.
    aotc = republic dealing a blow to the t-federation.

rotj = sith destroyed, jedi are back.
    ???? = jedi destroyed, sith are back.

which make me think the next movie will be named "rise of the sith"

15. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    if my recollection is correct, darth vader is never referred to as a sith in the OT

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Empire was never a very threatening word before Star Wars, either. Now we all know to think twice if the Trade Federation comes to our doorstep, too. ;)

ANyways, I like the title. Episode III's will be cheesy and hard to get used to, too, but eventually it'll grow on us.

I can guarantee you the backlash for Episode III will be the worst of the bunch. Because we all expect a certain type of title and there's no way a single man could come up with a title that pleases everyone.

But I know I'll hate the title at first, but after a while, like AOTC, I'll love it.

When you think about it, Star Wars is a pretty cheesy, stupid name, too.

17. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Considering I hardly ever see the whole name, really, all I care about is if the acronym looks cool. :p

tf

18. Rogue_Pilot

Rogue_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2003
    LoL, have you ever wondered how is it that all of the SW acronyms sound good? Think GL considers this while giving a new name? Think about it- TPM, AOTC, ANH, TESB, ROTJ. They're all very fluid. What if he'd called Episode I: The Great Battle of Naboo or something. TGBON? Oh yeah that's smoooooth. :p

19. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    TBON would actually be the most pronounceable abreviation.

20. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Vaderbait mentioned Star Wars as a cheesy title.

I recall reading a book THE MOVIE BRATS and in the chapter on Lucas, it's mentioned that the name Star Wars was chosen as an insurance policy. Back in 1976, Lucas and 20th century Fox calculated, it was a guess actually, that there were about 10 million sci-fi nerds in the world that would go see absolutely ANYTHING with a title like Star Wars.

LOL

21. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Best star wars title yet

22. Darth_Lear

Darth_Lear Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    The real problem with the title `Attack of the Clones' is GL's *misuse* of the B-movie style. Be they 60 ft women or killer tomatoes, whoever it is who do the attacking in "Attack of the..." movies are always unambiguously the baddies. This is not the case in AOTC. Although this will change in Ep. III, that's a different movie.

DL

23. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    When I first heard the title I knew it would be a bumpy road. The title just sucks and stinks up the place but apparently the creator though he was living in the 1930's or something.

The best title of the entire saga thus far is The Phantom Menace. It just strikes a chord in me.

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    apparently the creator though he was living in the 1930's or something.

I take it you don't know much about what Lucas' primary influences for SW were, then?

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Star Wars was actually considered a very dodgy name at the time. Not only did the execs feel that it would give the impression of a film about battles between big-time Hollywood stars, but they also had a discouraging poll at the time that told them a big majority of women wouldn't go to watch a film with the word "War" in the title.

Strange but true.

It'll be the usual deal with the Ep3 title...everyone and their gran has an idea, Lucas finally announces it, some people grumble and swear blind they'll never get used to it, almost all of them are happy by the time the film comes out. That's the pattern so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.