main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thoughts for the future of SW in 1983

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by kingthlayer, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I wasn't born back in the days of the OT. Therefore I don't know any of the reactions the fans had to the saga's conclusion. However they were numbering the episodes by then, I believe.

Were there rumors of a prequel trilogy being made after RoTJ, or did people think that it was over?

If this isn't the right forum, please tell me and I'll take it elsewhere. :)

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    In 1983 there were rumors that there were supposed to be either 9 or 12 Star Wars movies all together that Lucas was originally going to do but decided he wasn't going to do them. News about the prequels didn't start until the mid 90's. What really got Star Wars going again was in 1991 when Zahn's Heir To The Empire came out.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Lucas had said in interviews from 1978 onwards that there would be 9 or 12 episodes and that he would make a prequel trilogy after the current trilogy.
    In 1983 he said he would take some time off from SW but he took longer than most fans expected.

It wasn't until the 90's that he started saying there would be no sequel trilogy. However it's since come to light that he probably made this decision when making ROTJ because he condensed story elements of 7, 8 and 9 into ROTJ, specifically the death of the emperor and changing the 'other' (which Yoda spoke of in ESB) from an as yet unseen character into Leia.

g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.