main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN Thoughts of the Vikings 2003 Season

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi76, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    Well its that time of year again next to our Wedding (Sept 20th)the release of Return of The King Football is the best time of year. Just like I did last year this forum is to praise bash either or for the Vikes week by week and hopefully it will all culminate on Feb 1st after a Superbowl win ok ok maybe I am getting ahad of myself. Honestly though I think we will be better then last year I think our record will be 9-7 or 10-6. If our pass defense steps up we will do better but I don't think we will be in the playoffs we still have some rebuliding to do. Well share your thoughts hopefully we can keep this going all year. Next Sunday its Payback time for those cheeseheads since they screwed us out of a 4 game winning streak last year.

2. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I am ready for some football. Bring on the pack!

I haven't watched any preseason so I don't have a clue how the boys are looking.

3. Darth_Jaxon

Darth_Jaxon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2001
    9-7 or 10-6? [face_laugh] That's a good one. I do know they'll be 0-1 after Sunday's game. The Pack may not be a Super Bowl team this year, but they still have far more talent than any other team in the NFC North. Good luck Purple, you're going to need it when you walk into the center of the football universe on Sunday. Go Pack!

4. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Oh well at least you don't see us jumping the nearest Bandwagon.

One should always go for your home team.

Traitors that Pick another team to cheer for have no right to gloat

oh oh oh can I be a Tampa bay Fan?? woo then I can claim my team is the greatest. [face_plain]

Minnesotans should cheer for the Minnesota Vikings. Wait until Red moves the team to jump on someone else's bandwagon. . ;)

5. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    Too bad I grew up in Milwaukee. I'm no Minnesotan, I just work here.

6. Jedi76

Mar 28, 2002
    Now Now lets not get to haisty in here if he is from Milwauke thats understandable he is a packer fan. By the way when I said 9-7 or 10-6 I was being hopeful

7. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    A Viking fan calling a Packer fan a bandwagoner if funny. I remember the year before the Vikings' 15-1 season (my first in MN), the last Vikings' game of the year was blacked out on tv because 15,000 tickets were available at the Metrodome. Lambeau Field has a 3,000+ year waiting list. No fans in the world are more loyal than Packer fans.

By the way, the 15-1 Vikings' utter collapse in the NFC Championship game rates among my best sports memories. It's right behind the Packer's '96 Superbowl win and Marquette's run to the Final Four last year.

8. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Jaxon--I love you.

9. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    Finally, someone on this board who loves me. I knew I'd get people to come around.

10. Jedi76

Mar 28, 2002
    Hey I am not comming around until the Vikings move or I die I will be a Viking Fan for life and if the Vikes are sold I will cheer for either the Bears Titans or the Broncos

11. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    So WI has the better football team but all the better jobs are here? huh. Strange land we Live in.

My apologies Jaxon. Even though I said what I said with tunge in cheek, I was not aware of the Cheese in your upbringing. :) You have a valid right to be a packer backer.

Seriously though. I always wonder though why in the world a football fan would not cheer for the home team. There are a lot of Minnesotans who Jump on the Packer Bandwagon. I find it funny to hear those people brag about their team. If we all just choose our team we can all have the best team for our team every year. :p Just bugs me.

The Vikings Sell out problems were never a problem of the fan base not being loyal. Sure maybe in the Cities there are a lot of bandwagon fans but that is true in every big city. However in out state Minnesota the fans are extremely loyal.

The problem was and will be again the city of Minneapolis.

You see Minnesota is NOT a big city state despite what folks in Minneapolis would like to think.
    They should have never put that stadium in Down Town Minneapolis. We never had those kinds of problems when the stadium was in Bloomington.

People in this state want a stadium with a big parking lot where the average Joe can park his truck and pull out the grill and toss the football around with his buddies drinking beer all day.

The problem is the "city" planners of Minneapolis have these visions of being like New York with trains and busses taking causal folks to the game and then have the fans go Clubbing in the down town clubs afterwards. [face_plain] There is no parking lot at the dome. The only people who can tailgate are the few dozen or so really Rich people who can afford to park in the tiny lot near the dome. It's pathetic.

Plus Small town people who would love to come up or down to a game hate having to go into down town Minneapolis so much that they would rather just watch the game on TV than deal with Downtown.

It will never change because even IF we get a new stadium the Big City Wannabes have too many Politicians on the payroll so it will more than likely be built in Minneapolis again with lightrail and near by "clubs".

Large parking where pickup trucks can park and a fellow can tailgate with his buddies are not something fitting into that New York style life style the City of Minneapolis is trying to force onto everyone.

Still It wont matter in the long run. My guess is that in 2-3 years the Vikings wont be in Minnesota anymore. Then I can Pick a team.

12. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    That would be a shame if the Vikings leave. The Packer/Viking rivalry is great. It's almost as good as the Packer/Bear rivalry. I don't understand why they can't get a new Stadium here. The Metrodome is the worst for football. Go to Lambeau sometime and compare. They are completely opposite experiences.

As for jobs, I'd love to move back to Milwaukee. However, my Minnesota wife has a problem with that. We seem to have that discussion every day.

13. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I agree, the rivalry's great.
    During my freshman and sophomore years in high school, Joe (the Vikings' mascot) worked in our cafeteria (he basically patrolled the place). I always wore a Packer sweatshirt the Friday before the Packers played the Vikings, and someone at my table called Joe over once ("Hey--we have a Packer fan here!!"). We exchanged big words, and that Sunday the Packers came out on top. Monday at lunch, Joe came up behind me and sort of towered above me, glaring, hands on hips...I just broke into a smile and said, "We beat you." It was great.

The only game I've been to was the one against the Vikings two years ago at the Metrodome. It was fun, but AWFUL! (I think the score was something like 45-14 Vikings) My sister and I were totally decked-out in Packer stuff, right down to beads and shoelaces, and we didn't get one single taunt from Vikings fans--I was shocked (at school, I got it all the time). I'm number 52,000-something on the waiting list for Packer season tix...maybe when I'm 90 or something I'll get them.

14. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    You know the funny thing is the Packer Vikings fights have only been around for about 10-12 years. Growing up around here the Bears games were always the big deal of the season. For some reason over the last decade or so it's been the Packer games that have grown in importance. I think because a lot of Minnesotans jumped on the bandwagon in the mid 90's and we're getting more WI folks moving here. No matter it's cool. The Bears suck now anyway. //ducks what Goat throws at me

The stadium will not get built here as long as a slick Texan billionaire car salesman owns the team.

our economy sucks and there just isn't enough extra cash floating around to give a billionaire a building for free.

He sells that team to a local guy/gal and I bet we see that stadium get built faster than you can say Superbowl.

Plus there is the matter that the Vikings did sign a lease with the dome through 2011 and the fact that the City of Minneapolis will fight until the death a new stadium unless it is built in Minneapolis.

15. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    The Bears are still the big rivalry for the Packers. Of course, the Packers are everyone else's big rival. That's what happens when you're top dog. :)

16. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Pleeeeeaaaassssssee

I just want to know one thing. Where were you people before 1995?

It's easy being a bragging fan when your team is on the up. You didn't here no smack talking from the Paker fans around here before 1995.

Strange how that works huh? ;)

17. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I got into football/became a Packer fan in the '95-'96 season, the year the Cowboys won the Superbowl (the Packers won in '97--the next year). Just for the record, I'm not a "bandwagoner".

EDIT--Also, there was a pretty bad season in there, that year Ray Rhodes was head coach. We stayed loyal through it. Sure it's awesome that the Packers are...well, awesome, but the majority of Packer fans will be fans no matter what.

[one more thing]Also, was there even a MNFF board before 1995??? (that Packer people could have had the opportunity to talk "smack" on) :p

18. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    I wasn't talking about the boards silly lady. :)

I am talking about life in Minnesota. You just didn't hear all this Packer smack talk around town before then. There were not packer flags or people wearing Packer stuff until about 1995 or later.

The mid 80's I barely knew what the packers were. I am just saying this heated rivalry only developed since the Packers got good in the mid 90's. Before then the packers were treated the same way as Detroit around here and there wasn't all these Packer Fans going around bragging about how loyal they are. Perhaps before that they were closet fans maybe?

Sure maybe in Greenbay it's never changed. I am sure WI Folks have always been Loyal.

They have always had sell outs there but then a smaller town in northern WI the Packers don't really have much competition there for other activities. That's the Vikings other problem too many other things for people to do around here. Small town folks (where the most loyal fan base is) don't want to go the City to see the game and city folks can find tons of other things to do if the Vikings are not doing so well.

I think possible another one of the reasons so many "Minnesotans" jumped on the Packer Bandwagon is Denny Green. About the time the Packers really got good is also about the time people around here were really growing to hate Denny Green.

He just didn't fit the type of Coach that Minnesotan folks relate to. Mike Tice is a good fit as far as his attitude goes but I am not sure yet if he is a good head coach. Tony Dungy would have been a perfect fit. Plus people were tired of Denny never really having his teams ready for the big game. 98 proved us all right and then 2000 just made it known to the rest of the world. It's not that he lost the big games. It's that he took his teams in there totally and completely unprepared for them.

He may make a fine GM someday but the big games are not something he seems to handle well. Still that's questionable too. Anyone just has to look at last years Superbowl to find the proof of Denny's Quarterback evaluation methods.

2 quarterbacks who were not good enough for our team got to play in the big game while we watched it from home? Thanks Denny.

19. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    Packer fans have no problem driving to Green Bay from Milwaukee, Madison, LaCrosse, Eau Claire, and every other corner of the state. When you're a fan, you don't mind a little drive now and then. Of course, you have to have a ticket. That's the hard part considering the Packers have sold out every game in Lambeau field since the 1950s.

As far as competition, there are plenty of things to do in Milwaukee, but the Packers are still number 1 by far. I can see how you think Vikings fans are loyal, you just don't know what it's like to be a fan of a team like the Packers.

20. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey, watch what you say about Wisconsinites... I bleed green & gold!!!! Born and raised in WI, I even when to the University at GB for a year! I agree with Darth Jaxon: "I'm no Minnesotan, I just work here." The only reason I don't cheer for the Vikes is because I was raised that way. No really! I was!! I was always taught that "Minnesotans are bad, and their football team is worse." Seriously - that's what my dad always said to me when we were watching Vikes/Pack games.

I should really be in bed, for I have to wake up at 5:30 so I can get out to Festival.... but no, here I am defending my state. Yeah, I may not call WI 'home' anymore (CA is considered 'home') but I will be a loyal Packer fan until I die. I don't care what anyone says.

My only rant now is:

I'm working on Sunday and I won't be able to watch/listen to the game!!! :_|

21. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Then where were all of these fans and the tough talk before 1995?

Let's face it, It's great you guys got to the Superbowl and won it. I even Cheered for them the first time. But what bugs me is it wasn't until just before that Superbowl that all these so called Die hard Packer fans started coming out of the wood work around here. I grew up with in this area with Vikings football and I never heard Boo about the Packers and their "loyal" fans until the mid 90's. If your such loyal fans, Where were all you people before then?

It's not the drive that bugs people it's the destination. They do not want to go into Downtown Minneapolis. I thought I made that clear.

BTW Competition? Since when did WI get a pro Hockey team and a Pro Basketball team. Sure you have a baseball team but notice how you don't hear much from "loyal" Brewers fans all that much.

If the Vikings suck there are other sports to follow around here. Greenbay has nothing but Packers, Beer Drinking, and perhaps the occasional hot dog eating contest. ;)

Ps. I am not ripping on WI, Just Packer Fans who seem to think they are more loyal to their team then Vikings fans.

Oh an any Minnesotan who claims to be a Packer Fan. That is the ultimate definition of a bandwagon jumper

and for the record our team has sucked for many years now. Even in 98. We had flash and dash that won a lot of games but good old Denny once again proved he can't coach the big ones. I know it but then I hope they do better.

22. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Still on with the fun :)

Care to bet Sara and Jaxon?

the fan of the loosing team has to post in the other teams color for a week.

If the Vikings win you guys need to post in Purple for a week. :)

If the Packers win I'll post in green for a week. :)

23. Darth_Jaxon

Jun 19, 2001
    I'll take that bet. I just need to figure out how to post in a color.

A few points about your last post. First, have you heard of the Milwaukee Bucks? Wisconsin does have an NBA team. Also, Wisconsin has two exceptional college basketball teams. Marquette (the greatest University ever) made it to the Final Four last year and Wisconsin won the Big 10. Marquette averaged 18,000 people a game. I'd say that qualifies as something else to do in the state. Wisconsin also has Badger football, hockey, etc... The only think you can say MN has that WI doesn't is pro Hockey. Of course, all these activities are located in metro area in MN, but you would think that would make it easier for people to attend.

As far as where were Packer fans before 1995? I have no idea what it was like in MN, since I lived in WI at the time, but I can tell you that the Packers have always been HUGE in WI, no matter their record. As I said, Lambeau has been sold out for almost 40 years. THat won't change anytime soon. Even through the retched 70s and 80s, the Packers sold out every game. The Vikings were darn good most of the 80s and 90s and cannot say the same thing. I don't see how you can say your team has been bad for years. Last year was the first time in a long time that the Vikes missed the playoffs in back to back seasons. Heck, they just had a string of two or three NFC Championships in a row. Better than the Packers. Of course, unlike the Pack, the Vikes can't win the big one.

If it's the Metrodome that people don't like, then build a new stadium. The people of Green Bay just paid for a $100 million renovation of Lambeau Field. They know that the Packers need the best facilities in the NFL in order to continue to be competative. They support their team 100%. Of course, they also own the team. No wonder WI loves the Packers so much. They are unique among sports franchises. A team owned by the fans, for the fans.

Being a Packer fan is a beautiful thing.

24. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Our team has been bad. And I say that as a true fan.

I would rather miss the playoffs then loose to the Giants in the Championship game 41 to 0 because the coach was completely and totally unprepared for the game and the team just gave up.

Or what about having the highest scoring offense in history and then loose to the Falcons because we took a knee. :( Thanks for that Denny.

I am sorry but the Denny Green years sucked. Even when he was winning most fans around here didn't like him.

Just because we knew we had a coach who couldn't take the team to the next level required to win the big ones. A coach that always blamed others or had an excuse. A coach who was a racist and sexist pig. If not for Randy Moss, Green would have been fired years ago. Any you know. As much as I would hate to have our team play against him I wouldn't cry if that pot smoking Punk was traded for say a corner back or two.

Packer Fans have never had to deal with having a coach like that. I hope you never do.

And as far as putting the money in the stadium. The public around here would be more willing to do that if it was the Public that owned the team like in GB. I will say this. That is the coolest thing about the Packers. I wish it was that way here.

People in Minnesota just have a problem with giving Billionaires a free building for them to make money off of it. And we get really mad when said Billionaires try and hold our teams hostage and ransom them for the free building.

When there isn't enough money in our budget to cover Education and schools are cutting programs were certainly not going to give a Billionaire a 400 million facility free of charge.

Anyway I was unaware of your NBA team, my apologies. :) Guess you don't hear much about them either. ;)

To post in color all you have to to is use brackets

[color=[b]purple[/b] ]Type your stuff here[/color]

Check the markup codes link on the top tool bar for more information.

25. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    Vikes: 30
    Packers: 25

yay!!! :D

Now I didn't catch it, but there was something about a new rule at the end of the game...does any one know what they ment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.