main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Thoughts on a Post Credits Scene for VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AndrewPascoe, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It is ABSOLUTELY unprecedented. Having a Vader breath inserted into the credits is not remotely the same thing as having an entire scene with characters and actions going on AFTER the credits have rolled, and no one can tell me that it is.

I'm getting sick and tired of people insisting that Star Wars needs to be "hip" and "modern" by betraying itself and its principles in order to keep up with other movies and franchises that have nothing to do with Star Wars. Let the Marvel movies be their own thing. People need to stop trying to make Star Wars "better" by making it into something it isn't and shouldn't be.

Seagoat, Bob Octa and DarthBreezy like this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i'd be up for post credits breathing

TheBBP likes this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

It is absolutely NOT unprecedented. It is a post-credits tease. That is what I am asking about here. Besides, how does having one mean that it is trying to make it ""hip" and "modern" by betraying itself and its principles"?

DarthIshyZ and Darth Malgus like this.
  4. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    This is not a Marvel movie guys. And this is the kind of thing that will ultimately be up to JJ, who probably wont do it.
    But JJ directed one episode of the office where he kind of did an after credits tease, "Im gonna kill Jim Halpert" Anyone know what Im talkin about?

5. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Again, The Phantom Menace had a post-credits tease. This was before Marvel made it a regular thing. This is not even regarding the fact that scenes during and after the credits have been happening for a long time and have happened in many movies. It just happens to be a more popular thing to do these days. Call it an evolution in film if you will.

http://aftercredits.com/stingers/

6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Obviously a breathing is tease is different to an actual scene.

Would the scene be from the next movie, or a tie-in to the next movie?

Personally I a) don't think it's needed and b) don't think JJ will do it; but that's just me.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What about Vader coughing profusely?

8. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Stop it, Grievous was bad enough

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How about Vader vomiting?

Bob Octa, DarthIshyZ, mratm23 and 4 others like this.
  10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Have you missed the half-dozen times or so that I called it a "teaser"?

I have no vested interest in this sort of thing. I am not against it happening though. My point being is that there is a precedent in the Saga for a post-credit tease despite what all of the folks who despise the idea seem to think.

11. SimitarLikeTusk

Mar 10, 2014
    How about Vader doing that retarded 2011 Krayt Dragon call

12. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Half dozen? I only counted six...

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Star Wars doesn't need a post credits scene.

Bob Octa likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But all the cool kids are doing it!

15. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I really don't care, if they don't put it, that's okay by me but if they put post-credit scene I would be totally ok aswell.

TheBBP likes this.
  16. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    What about Luke, Han, Leia, Daisy, Boyega and company sitting around a table drinking blue milk? With Stan Lee walking by in a Tusken Raider outfit.

EDIT: OR...on a more serious note, a shot of Joseph Gordon-Levitt (if you've read the latest rumor) staring out over an alien landscape with his starfighter parked behind him.

17. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I understand that was a joke, but in my mind that is exactly why it should not be done.

What adding a post-credit sequence would amount to is simply following a fad - not out of any intent to benefit the film, but just because other films are doing it and that's therefore what people in this instance in time consider popular.

Star Wars is not about what is currently popular; it is about what is TIMELESS.

Star Wars is not about following the fashion; it succeeds on its own merits, not because it caters to fashions that are here today and forgotten tomorrow.

If post-credit sequences work in the Marvel films - and they do indeed work in them - that doesn't then mean they work in all genre films, and Star Wars films in particular. It means only that they work in the Marvel films. That's fine; let them succeed on their own merits, but don't dilute the value of either franchise by mixing and matching the points of difference between them. If that happens, then at some point what makes Star Wars unique and special will be lost.

THAT'S why I always say that you can't make Star Wars better by making it NOT Star Wars. Fortunately, based on confirmed information to date, the people actually making this new trilogy seem to understand this.

EHT and Bob Octa like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The times, they are a changin'.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  19. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

How would a post-credits scene make the movie NOT Star Wars? It honestly sounds like back when folks were freaking out over the notion of not having the FOX Fanfare to start the movie.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. DidIAskWhatWasCanon

DidIAskWhatWasCanon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2014
    I would pay good money to hear Vader do a Tarzan bellow.

21. SimitarLikeTusk

Mar 10, 2014
    Very sadly I think there are some still freaking out about this. But agreed neither are important. After credits scenes cant really be called a fad.
    But it seems unlikely JJ will want to put in an Alias style cliffhanger or a tease just for Rian.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Post-credit scenes are generally awful. Please don't do this, Star Wars.

23. hocash

hocash Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2014
    I think it would probably be lame, like most post credit scenes. But it's not going to ruin the movie either.

24. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  25. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I wouldn't mind a tease from the score. Williams did that with Vader's theme for TPM (Anakin's theme) and AOTC. Though I think the latter got cut. The soundtrack version of the credits for ROTS was very much a tease for ANH.

Maybe they can play the Emperor's theme or Vader's theme or a cue from the conversation at the opera in ROTS.

EDIT: But yeah, no post credits scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.