main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Thoughts on cousin marriages?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Allana_Rey, Apr 19, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, both claims are true -- people have sex regardless of marriage and married people don't necessarily have sex. However, I think that it's difficult to say that they don't yet have anything to do either each other or that marriage is purely a legal construct these days.

The fact that it can be true doesn't make it true in all circumstances or even the majority of circumstances.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

2. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    1) People can drive without a license
    2) People with licenses do not necessarily drive.

Therefore driver's licenses are mere legal constructs and everyone should be issued a license.

1) People under 21 drink alcohol.
    2) People over 21 do not drink alcohol.

Therefore the age restriction is a mere legal construct and everyone should be able to buy alcohol.

1) People under the age of consent have sex.
    2) People over the age consent do not have sex.

Therefore, "age of consent" is a mere legal construct and everyone should be able to have sex with everyone.

It's not good logic, is it?

One ought to attack the reasoning behind the laws, not just say "pffft, that's a law, whatever".

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All of the laws you mentioned above are safety issues.

So what exactly is the "reasoning behind" the so-called "marriage law", if not to provide ease of access to inheritance and power of attorney?

The idea that people should be forbidden from having sex outside marriage is a ****ing joke (pun intended), and the idea that unmarried people can't be good parents is insulting at best.

V-2 likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure -- but you can't deny that a large segment of the population (I won't use numbers because I don't know where the majority stands) operates exactly under those assumption. For a lot of people, marriage means a lifetime commitment to a person, it means settling down, it means having a family -- it means more than legal privileges. That's a descriptive statement. The normative statement whether that should or shouldn't be the case is not at issue here; that's a completely different discussion.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Who said it didn't mean a "lifetime commitment"? I would assume that if a person wanted another person to inherit his or her assets and have power of attorney in case he or she were incapacitated, that would imply some sort of "lifetime commitment."

It does not, however, automatically mean "having a family." And in the eyes of the government, it only means legal privileges, as there is no mandate to have children or even a mandate to have sex.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I could have a business partner whom, for the sake of mutual financial interests, it would be advantageous to enter into a legal contract that allowed tax breaks and transference of property upon one of our deaths without incurring any special fees or surcharges. But that's a long way from having a "lifetime commitment" to such a person.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Depends on how you define "lifetime commitment."

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, but that doesn't really lead anywhere. The way you'd have to define "lifetime commitment" for that "maximize the profits of my business" take on it to work is not the way that a large segment of the population understands marriage. Which is what Jello said to begin with. You can create circumstances where it is technically appropriate to use the same sequence of words, but you cannot make the actual ideas people are trying to convey align such that it makes sense to characterize marriage as a mere package of legal conveniences.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My point is that the "actual ideas" people have about marriage vary greatly, and one cannot really codify such ideas into law. One can only look at what legal benefits marriage provides. (And yes, I recognize that Jello is a law student.)

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    People marry for many different reasons.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Setting a limit on Xth cousins marrying would be arbitrary even if we inhabited a society in which sex was strictly for procreation and marriage was a license to have sex.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Incest is best, put your sister cousin to the test.