main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Thoughts on Pokémon

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, May 8, 2016.

1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    When did pokemon die for you? Do you still love it? Did it lose it's charm? Poke-talk!

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Upon arrival.

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    You can't thread your own post.

PRENNTACULAR and jp-30 like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Loser

PRENNTACULAR and jp-30 like this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    My work here is done.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol.... he edited it out. :p

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Edited what?

Look, I may be guilty of being a Coldplay fan but I sure as hell won't be branded a Pokemon fan.

8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Little known fact DebonaireNerd is a goop fan. He is an original gooper.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  10. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    pokemon is alive and well at my house! we cycle through it though... pokemon, digimon, cinnamon, eudemon, salmon, lemon, nomnomnom

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    What about cardamom? Happily my kids where too old when pokemon started.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mine outgrew it pretty quickly.

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They can get back into it retro-ironically as teenagers.

14. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I loved it when I was a kid...kind of died for me before my teen years. As an adult now I'd say it can be cute, but mostly it's really silly. I have to say I'm a bit puzzled/disturbed that there's still a hardcore adult community that plays it competitively...

My only current exposure to it is through the Smash Bros. series.

15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    a friend and i still buy each other the new games that come out and play them when we're together, but i think we're doing it more and more out of tradition and less and less out of excitement for yet another new game. but don't tell her i said that.

16. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Do you and your friend pokebattle? What does your pokemon stable consist of?

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Thank god it's not actually possible to die of irony.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure 50 year old men hooked on Star Wars should tread very carefully in this thread.

Rew and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I was 12 when it became big over here. My earliest exposure was through the cartoon. I remember thinking what a cheesy overdramatic opening song it had. [face_laugh] Then, as I watched about 10 minutes of it thought "so, these are beating up animals in the wild into submission so that they can capture them and have them fight for them?", which is the entire basic premise of Pokemon. At that point, my discerning 12 year old mind, without any sense of irony, made a Cosmo Kramer outburst and exclaimed "well, this is morally reprehensible!!! What are we teaching our kids?!" But in my defense, I was one of those killjoy kids who thought that Mr. Wilson should find a shovel and kill Dennis the Menace in his backyard while his parents aren't watching.

Seriously though, Pokemon is reprehensible, you realise that, right? :p

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I still enjoy Pokemon. I did drop the franchise after high school, but ended up coming back to it after college. Now my nephew is into it, so my interest is alive and well. Just bought two more booster packs of cards today, too. Currently rebuilding my collection and building up a nice selection of cards to trade.

I play the games and currently play X to death. Mostly Wonder Trading and shiny hunting currently, and I'll raise a random assortment and do some light breeding for some casual battling every now and then. Pokemon-Amie is my favorite part of the game and Wonder Trade is addictive as hell. My PokeDex is completed, too.

Haven't played the card game for years and now I just collect cards to trade, or for the art, or to add to a collection (such as my Mewtwo or Hypno collections), but I may some day build a proper deck and then show my nephew how to play properly. He plays the game, but a heavily modified version that does away with Trainer cards and energy cards favors sheer brute force over any sort of strategy, which ends up limiting one's deck because you lack support Pokemon. It's also completely one-sided because it all boils down to the other person simply having a Pokemon with a higher attack power.

The kid needs to learn how to play the game properly and how to build a half-decent deck because if he tries playing with kids who know what they're doing, they're gonna mop the floor with his beloved Primal Groudon.

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I much prefer the traditional pokemon, cock fighting.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    moon probably.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i have four pokemon cards staring at me from my desk and a nidorino key chain in my pocket that i've had for like 18 years. i wouldn't say i was ever "into it" but my kids liked it when they were little and my coworker's son keeps giving me these cards and i guess i just tend to look favorably on things that make children happy.

25. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't a thing about Pokeman except he's a rabbit with a weird tail.