main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Thoughts on Pokémon

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, May 8, 2016.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

[/obligatory]

jp-30 likes this.
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Yeah yeah. :p

3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Never liked it. Always thought it was stupid & childish. Both the game & show. & wen the heck will it end? Warhammer just ended. Think they did a reboot.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Any of you Muricans playing Pokemon Go?? I can't get it here yet. :(

5. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I am just activitating the spare android to see if it works.

6. zisme

zisme Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2016
    i was pretty big into it as a kid...late 90s were middle school days for me

most of my interest settled around the original game boy games (blue and red, yellow eventually)
    i had neighbor friends my age that played too, so we were able to do the trading/collecting thing

dabbled briefly with the card game and the tv show. even saw the first movie in theaters, at which point i decided my interest lied solely with the video games. i guess i was sort of a purist about it, because i remember being annoyed when they increased the number of pokemon from 150 (brilliant marketing strategy in hindsight)

pretty sure pokemon was largely absent from my high school years. i never kept up with the new handhelds (pretty sure i only ever owned a gameboy color)

tried playing some of the newer gen games via emulators/roms in college, but never got very far

i did have a brief nostalgia kick this year when i noticed they'd re-released blue and red for the 3ds. ended up buying a factory refurbished one for the sole purpose of buying/playing them. played all the way through blue and enjoyed it, but haven't touched them since. i still think they are fun. great time-burners for trips/travel especially

i was oblivious to it back then, but am now aware of what a strange and often disconcerting concept it is (essentially fighting animal slaves)

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I can't get it to work on my phone. It barely works on my tablet. I'd have to get a new phone in order to play Pokemon GO.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    So that Pokemon Go thingie...

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ramza you're ****ing awful.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Pokemon is basically just the Michael Vick scandal if done by someone other than Michael Vick.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  11. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It is pretty twisted when you really think about it....

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

It sucks when that pun you thought up is already a meme.

jp-30 likes this.
  13. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    not available in my country yet. i'll play it when it gets here tho. no harm in another reason to leave the house and get some fresh air a little more often.

morrison85 likes this.
  14. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Damn kids these days, going out and getting exercise.

In my day you drew the curtains and sat on your butt all day to play video games.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 , Rew and jp-30 like this.
  15. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I've been playing it and I think that it's kinda cool that it's getting so many people to interact with each other out in public when they normally wouldn't. And my sister and I were texting about it a bunch yesterday which was great because we don't often get to talk to each other. I get how it could be annoying if you're not particularly interested because it's EVERYWHERE but it's neat to see how it's influencing people to get out and about more.

16. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well since just about everyone I know started playing it I downloaded Pokemon Go over the weekend and I have to say the one good thing about it is that I've gotten a lot more exercise than I probably would have had I not downloaded it. I'm seriously surprised though but how many people are playing it, people who tease me about being a nerd are like super into it.

17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I was just walking home, playing a little while on the journey, and a group of lads started laughing and walked up to me. They asked "So are you playing too?" and we all begin laughing at what naughty boys we all are for downloading the game early (It's still not out in the UK.)

I also saw a couple sat outside a gym playing together on their phones. And a group of kids showing off their highest level pokemon. And two girls staring at each others' phones while tracking something down.

Seriously, Pokemon Go is magic. It's not even out here yet and the sense of community is very strong.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Until I can afford to get a new phone, I'm part of the Pokemon No Go club. It's a lonely club full of people who really wanna play, but can't afford the phones to do so.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If murderers are allowed contact with human beings again, how come Michael Vick isn't allowed contact with dogs again?

21. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    My daughter got a text last night, "I'm driving up your street trying to catch a <somethingmon>. Come and hunt with us."

And so she went out an met up with an old friend she hadn't seen in a couple of years.

Good things.
    It's like Facebook, but with real people.

22. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Pokemon was my thing for several years from ages 8-11. Big fan of the show, the games on Gameboy(anyone remember the Red, Blue, and Yellow Versions?), and collected the cards. Then, I lost interest in it all of a sudden. It still remains one of the things I enjoyed throughout my childhood.

It's crazy how big Pokemon Go is. Like previously mentioned here, everyone is using it. Was at the park last Friday playing basketball with my regular group(about 20 of us) the ones who weren't playing were walking around the park trying to catch Pokemon. Another funny thing, everyone who walked by us on their phone, well they were also catching pokemon.

morrison85 likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    avoid....

iPhone Users: Pokémon GO Can Spy On Your Entire Google Account

iPhone users of Pokémon GO, beware: the app has access to your entire Google account. That’s a major problem for fans of the game. Shockingly, there’s no warning about the extensive permissions either. For now, it’s unclear if Android owners are affected, though reports of sporadic Google account access have emerged.

To be clear, the app, as it stands, can read and write emails. It can also view your Google Docs, search history and Maps use. And your private photos. It’ll also take data that’s standard for modern apps, like IP and email addresses. Given the app by necessity has to use location data, Niantic suddenly has access to incredibly private information of millions of individuals across the world.

SOURCE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...emon-go-google-privacy-disaster/#1e5d270e3bc3

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    gotta catch em all