Thoughts on ROTS DVD extras?

Discussion in 'Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been watching the extras on the bonus disk in the ROTS set over the last few days, and was curious as to the reactions of others who have done (or are doing) likewise. Frankly, I have been a little disappointed with most of the features (I suspect I am completely spoiled now by the amazing and huge documentaries on the LOTR disks).

Most of them seem extremely short (with the notable exception of the "60 Seconds" documentary, which frankly I finally began fast-forwarding through (proving I am impossible to please)). The deleted scenes were interesting, but there were darned few of them, compared to what could likely have been included. The one deleted scene with water involved (I'll say no more for fear of spoilers) was fakity fakity fake fake fake looking (come on, George, just use some REAL DARNED WATER) and I hope it wasn't fully rendered. I liked the segment on the stunts the most, so far, and have just started on the web documentaries, which I wanted to see at the time they were put on the web, but my connection wasn't good enough. So, I have high hopes for those.

I don't know...the stuff I've seen so far had a sort of...perfunctary feel? Does that make sense? When watching the LOTR documentaries, or documentaries for the Firefly series and a number of other shows and movies, there was a sense of joy and accomplishment that came through in how the actors, directors, art department, etc. spoke of the project and their contributions to it. I just didn't feel that in the ROTS material. It felt like everybody was going, "Ok, the public expects behind the scenes stuff. Let's get it over with so we can put this nightmare project behind us." The most I sensed was a prideful feeling of, "Our effects rock, and man, we do such complicated stuff...woot!" as opposed to, "This was an amazing project, we're so thrilled to have been a part of it!"

Makes me wonder if working on the movies was more chore than joy, and that's what is coming through the extras.

Thoughts? Am I totally overanalyzing here, or what? Disagreements? I've not seen everything yet, so maybe I've just seen the parts that are the least "wow"...

- Kai, puzzled
  2. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I definitely enjoyed the WIthin a Minute thing and the documentary about the fighting. I really haven't had time to watch anything else. :(
  3. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm hoping there is a gag reel hidden out like on the last two, those were just too cool. I still chuckle about Qui Gon juggling his lightsaber, about the Jawa trawler racing against pods and such.
  4. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Word on the boards is there is no gag reel--in exchange, we have mostly pointless dancing Yoda. Sorry. :(
  5. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Wait - Qui-Gon was juggling lightsabers?? Where? When? Gah, I'm such a bad fan, I never keep up with this stuff. [face_blush]
  6. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm sure when the 30th Anniversary comes around in 2 years, they'll be a definitive 30-disc box set for $300, with every single (almost) thing from the archives to satisfy us. I mean, I have some old documentary stuff on VHS that isn't on the DVD's. And if you saw "The Chosen One" featurette, there's a "different" version of Yoda from Ep. I, which looks like a peek at thing to come (crosses fingers).

As to the how to access the gag reels (on disc 1 of all the prequels and disc 4 of the OT), go to "Options" and type 1-1-3-8 and "enter". You may have to go 10+, Enter, 3, Enter, etc. or some other combination to get it. For other extras, if you have a Hyperspace account on starwars.com, you can use the discs for other extras from the web.
  7. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Matt!

The gag stuff is excellent, from CGI stuff like the Jawa Sandcrawler leaping over hills while racing Pod Racers to prat falls by Anakin and more, well worth a look.

And if you didn't know about that, maybe you don't know about the LOTR ones as well, the hidden MTV music awards clips were awesome.

Finally for Serenety fans, Dec 20 the DVD is out!

8. Bith_Lord Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the DVD. Maybe its because I had seen all the web docs already but it just is so...bleh.....Having talked myself into buying the 19.99 Walmart version might have also added to my frustration since that bonus third DVD isnt exactly a more than once watch (if that!)

Yes, it would be nice if they took a few more cues from the Rings extended sets. Howabout some additional commentaries from the actors?

Well, heres to that rumored super duper box in 2007 :)

9. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Boy, I would dearly love commentary by an actor. ANY actor. (Ok, maybe not Carrie Fisher again, she sort of scared me, whenever she roused herself to say anything on the first trilogy's commentary track.)
  10. Bith_Lord Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay while we're wishing....

Id like seperate commentaries from

1. George Lucas
    2. Special Effects Team
    3. The Actors
    4. A Star Wars nerd
    5. A Pop Up Version with little tidbits of info all over the screen
    6. Darth Vader
  11. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, I love all these, but #5...the best. Like that old MTV thing with the pop-ups. That would be hysterical.
  12. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I just wanna see OUTTAKES!!! LOL

After working on wayy too many films/tv projects.. it's the behind the scene outtakes that I absolutely love.!

Especially after some of the stuff that was hinted at in the Behind-The-Scenes Webcam LOL:D

13. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Outtakes would be sweeet!
    We all know they happened, why not show some. I liked the outtake sequence for Pirates of the Caribbean. Hee hee hee.

Speaking of outtakes, any news on the DVDs for the Make a Wish movie, Kim?
  14. JedHead1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I actually have a sort of "Pop-Up" version of ANH called "Deleted Magic". Some of you may have seen it at the Jabba's Palace Party. Basically, it's the film with tidbits of behind-the-scenes info about the film popping up at the bottom of the screen during the movie, as well as alternate takes, deleted scenes, and outtakes (some of which are from disc 4 from the OT box set). Bits of ESB & ROTJ are included also.
  15. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I loved that. Where did you get it from?

- Kai
  16. Taeriel Force Ghost

star 5
    Indeed, that looked awesome. I was wishing that we would have heard it a bit better at the time.
  17. ID-2132 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yep, there should have been more behind the scenes stuff.
  18. Bith_Lord Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh lets just face it ....they suck.

Just kidding (sort of), i think episode 2 and 3 dvds should have continued the immensely watchable doc ( I think its called The Beginning) that was on the episode 1 DVD.
  19. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks like they saved a lot of "exclusive" stuff for Hyperspace memberships. Once again, the Evil Marketing Dept makes us pay extra for the neat stuff.

:(
  20. Bith_Lord Jedi Master

star 4
    DOH! i cant belive I forgot.

If you can pick them up, The Behind The Magic CD roms (one covers ep1 and the other is the classic trilogy) have these wonderful interactive scripts that show each shot with clickable trivia points. They HAVE alot of info. Not exactly pop up video, but very similar.

Where a lot of CD roms were mostly flash with no substance, these two titles are excellent.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.