main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thoughts on the 'Infinities' label (poss AOTC spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Thrawn, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    I was just looking at another topic and also some stuff in the prequel forums and just been doing some serious thinking.

Theres already alot of talk about AOTC content conflicting with EU stuff (esp things like Boba Fett stories). And also GLs visions of 7,8 and 9, may totally disregard events such as Chewies death or new births.

My question is, if there are a lot of contradictions, will stuff like the Fett stories simply have Infinities labels smacked on them just to keep things straight?

Or will they try and make things fit as they did with the Zahn clone wars placing?

I know for the time being the Boba Fett stories are being classed as rumours about fett, but is that not already half way there to classing it as infinities?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Some things "so-called conflict" with the EU, could rip books you enjoy out of continuity. Which could rip a book that used it as refrence, then a book that used those as refrence, so and so forth. So to slap infinnities on anything that is part of The "continuity" series is to push the dominoe that knocks down the rest.

Be afraid, be afraid and perish any thoughts such as this.

3. Darth Thrawn

Mar 18, 2000
    Thats exactly what im afraid of!

At the moment there is no official word as to Fetts origins so there is no dispute. But when AOTC is released, i just hope o one at LFL decides to update the databank and EU history.

If you look at the EU databank entry of Fett at sw.com it says OFFICALY that jaster mareel was all a cover story. So obviously someone is watching out for continuity. All it takes is a mjor contradiction nexy May and the whole EU could disapear in an instant.

Then all my "the books are canon" arguments would be worth nothing.....

4. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    As for Boba Fett's past, I like the thought of Fett just making up those stories to hide his past. That's what Sansweet says too so that'll be the official story.

Another thought, does Boba Fett actually know that he's a clone? Could they imprint them with memories or something like that?

5. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    <<<Then all my "the books are canon" arguments would be worth nothing.....>>>

Nope, they already were.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    The only problem with that cover-story theory, is the fact that most of the stories are from his point of view, in the present tense.

Which means he's doing it as you speak.

The only true fix, is he's what you see in AOTC, Is the "true Origin story" of fett).

then he joins the mandalorians from mandalore, then he leaves, goes to concord dawn under a pseudonym, get's in trouble, then joins the empire get's in trouble, etc etc, then redawns his mandalorian armor as Boba Fett the bounty hunter.

While all the stories are true, he spreads each one as an origin story, as if they are his true "first origin" so as to keep his true origin past secret, but they are only small cogs in his whole life.

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    BTW, the Boba Fett stories can be reconciled with AOTC, and GL is not making 7-9, as much as I'd like him to.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I agree.

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    If they (the EU people, not GL) were going to disregard the Marel (SP?) backstroy, we'd be seeing TFTBH republished with the Infinities logo now. And, after all, this is not the first time Fett got a new backstory. First, the Marvel one, then DE, then TFTBH. I'm sure that, after EP2 is released, we'll see a Han Solo trilogy-type novel or series tying up all the lose ends of Fett's background. He's in EP2, then joins the Maldorain forces, then goes to Concord Dawn, after that, Caridia, then becomes a Bounty Hunter.

TC

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Valiento, I agree that it WOULD be a domino affect.

Imagine if the powers that be slapped the 'Infinfities' label on the Thrawn trilogy, because of the Clone Wars dating . . . nearly every post-modern EU book has sprung from there, so it would nearly make every book post 1991 infinities.

11. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    So why not put an Infinities-Logo on the films? ;)

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't think Fett would make up his past; rumors and stories would just pop up, for example the press, desperate for a "scoop" would make something up or print a rumor out of desperation, and Fett just wouldn't bother to deny it. That way Mereel could've been a guy who did whatever at around the time Fett showed up, and so somebody made a wrong connection, decided it was true, and printed it or something.

13. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I'll gladly slap the 'Infinities' logo on the most simple product. Since I see the EU as being vastly superior to the films, I would simply ignore the films, particularly since they strike me as being extremely simplistic.

14. Drew

Drew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 1998
    Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't read the entire Boba Fett history, but what or where is Concord Dawn? Thanks in advance :D

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Except the fact that the jaster story was from his point of view in present tense, and the last half of the story was him thinking back on it. The press didn't make it up, he lived through it. Just means he was going icognito, at the time, hiding from something.

16. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    Maybe Fett's just really messed up in the head and truly believes all that stuff about Concort Dawn.

17. Darth Thrawn

Mar 18, 2000
    It also means hat Kyle Katarn fans might never see him in the NJO because he is officially now part of Infinities

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    he's not part of infinties anymore, since, they made a mistake and corrected it up on DH timeline, he's not listed as part of continuity, just not part of the comic series.

mainly because his books are over multiple timeperiods, which wouldn't work on the dh timeline format.

19. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Opening scroll for AotC:

"STAR WARS... EPISODE II.... ATTACK OF THE CLONES.... (GIANT INFINITIES ICON)...IT IS A TIME OF..."

20. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    hehehe...i like, i like..
    i agree that the boba fett problems can be corrected...Boba Fett hides out on concord dawn as a late teen, desperate to ride out the Jedi purges - a group who have an obvious enimity with him as his clone father helped orchestrate their demise...his morals are still the same though, and he kills the man and is exilled from concord dawn...then the story continues as we know it...he goes to carida, ends up donning his armour, and assumes his real name: Boba Fett - now feeling assured that the Jedi are no longer a threat...he goes on his first mission for jabba, meets han solo....
    the adventure goes on uninterrupted, and Boba hides all those feelings from his childhood, those whispering maddening voices..."your a clone..."

any fix is possible, but this one is actually quite plausible. bonus.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The Gatherer...
    "Imagine if the powers that be slapped the 'Infinfities' label on the Thrawn trilogy..."

We can only dream can't we (j/k). :D

22. Darth Thrawn

Mar 18, 2000
    All the stormtroopers are apparently clones, does that mean that the Davin Felth story in Tales from Mos Eisley need to be Infinities now?

23. Major_Derek_Klivian

Major_Derek_Klivian Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2001
    If all stormtroopers are clones....
    then Han Solo's training on Caridia is Infinities, thus Han Solo's character is ruined and Solo is declared Infinities, thus Han Solo must be taken out of the OT, and thus the OT must now be called off shelves and reworked.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    LOL.

I'm guessing 60% of stormtroopers could be clones, during the time of the anh. clones only when they started, but at some point the empire decided to concript soldiers as well.

25. kanos_fel

kanos_fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't think Lucas Licensing would have spent the last ten years making sure that the continuity made sense and that the chronology was protected just to scrap it off. As always, GL do what he wants cause it's is movie and he will leave it to his employees in charge of the EU to make the necessary modifications to make everything fit. And if not, hell we can all do it ourselves! After all, as far as I'm concern, Solo still was the only one to shoot in the cantina...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.