main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thoughts...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Yoshee, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    In an age where social networking is a part of everyday life, it would be perfectly reasonable to expect to find a thriving community posting not just here at ff-uk, but across all the boards across the whole site.

But, as I have discovered over the past couple of days, this is'nt the case.

Which begs the question, Why?

I would'nt even blame the rise of other networking sites such as Facebook, as the ff-uk fb group (albeit a good one), does'nt have any real activity beyond it's event listings.

Or did we all just fall out of love with the forum and each other? I know I did, for a while.

Discuss....

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I still post here but usually ing the JCC.

The UK board is just...... dead now.

All the fun went years back as Wiz and Jimbo etc... disappeared, I also got caught posting at work and got my arse kicked so I ended up only posting in the evening and with having young kids I just stopped.

The JCC is the livliest place left and even thats only got a few really regular posters

3. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    I must confess, being a Dad now too, my internet time has shortend greatly. However, it would be nice to try and get some form of life back in here. Even if it's only bottom feeders...

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    We don't need the Human Centipede here [face_sick]

Could do with some more regular posters though. I think all we have left is

Regular (on tfn)
    halibut
    Ritchie
    Everton

occasional
    Spike
    Me
    epic
    Cobra

I can't really think of anyone else who is loitering and posting.

5. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm going to make more of an effort with the place from now on. I never meant to be away from it for so long!

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Good to hear!

I visit the JCC more than here, but sometimes it's nice to chat with other UK-ers. :)

Whereabouts are you based, Yoshee?

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I usually look in when I see there's been an update.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I put it down to several factors -

1) No more star Wars movies. We had a big influx of members when the prequels were out and a decrease once they were over for a couple of years. Aside from the Clone Wars there is ery little to encourage people to sign up to a SW site and not much to keep them here.

2) People got lives (shame on them) or went to Uni and so on and then didn't come back

3) Lack of interest by many in doing meets

4) Anything you want to discuss there is probably a thread for in the JCC

The big problem now is how to attract new members. With Star Wars movies coming out from next year in 3D there may be a renewed interest in the franchise and maybe new members will arrive. But we need to come up with ideas to kickstart activity here. This is though a problem affecting all of FanForce, I talked to other CRs in the Admin area and they have similar problems.

Meets are not a problem, plenty of those every year. The problem is stirring up this place.
    It is the young who will continue the interest for this place once many of us leave, and we lack young members now.

9. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Hal: I is based in Southend-on-Sea innit! :p

I think that the 3D releases will certainly get new younger followers, and hopefully they will find their way here...

Is it wrong wrong that the state of FF as a whole has been bothering me for the last few days? [face_thinking]

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It bothers me all the time, maybe it takes longer for older people :p

It's not the place so much, it's the idea. We are all joined by our love of similar things (and one big thing in particular that led us here in the first place) and the friendships we have built are the hardest things to lose.
    Some others might not care about people they've never/hardly met, but I do often look back and wonder what some former members who no longer post are up to (the ones not on the fb group that is).

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    New users can't post here until the problems with the board are sorted out, and who knows when that will be? That's not been fixed yet, right?

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I would assume it will happen in time for the New Year (if at all, so vague at the moment some people dispute it's even going to happen). There was supposed to be a big influx of fans from SW.com when their boards got axed, I've yet to see it.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The new user problem probably won't be sorted out til we move as IGN are not devoting staff time to existing issues. They are concentrating on getting their boards on to new software.
    As far as our move goes, Philip's crew are devoting their time to us now that the Rebelscum move has finished.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Even if the site gets new members, they have to be encouraged to post here. They won't want to if half the chapters are locked and there are no topics of interest here. I came here when it was very active and had far more appeal than posting anywhere else on the site, but now the JCC (sadly) is the only place where one can have any form of discussion worth having.
    We either need to encourage some past members to come back, or find a way to get this place to the sort of level it used to be at.

I propose getting hold of veteran UK posters, like those in the JCC, and asking them what FFUK could do to make them post here.

15. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Ahh yes. I forgot the boards are broken. That certainly won't help. So it looks like holding out until next year anyway...