main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will admit I was a mite confused what the heck was going on with throwing Thrawn's badge / buzz droid when they were tied up in the cell (I believe there was a tracker in Thrawns' badge that called to the buzz droid) but they got out and killed the pirates so I'm okay with that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait are those MC-75s?

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I miss Lars Mikkelsen and Rebels. I just tweeted @StarWars asking them to do audio-comic-books with his voice for this comic. Let's get it trending; go re-tweet my tweet. My handle on twitter is the same as here.

4. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Issue #3 is out today, if a mod could update the title that would be great @The2ndQuest
    Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (3/6 Released)

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  5. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Speaking of issue 3, I really enjoyed it. As with the previous ones I am not sure how much I would understand if I had not read the book. But since I know it pretty much inside out, the latest story worked very well for me.

I liked how the artist visibly changed Pryce as she grew more power-hungry - from nearly blue-eyed miner's daughter to cold-hearted career politician at the end.

The inclusion of Thrawn with sun-glasses was also neat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Something strikes me as odd about Ryder Azadi's portrayal here as opposed to Rebels.

In Thrawn he comes off as a greedy, conniving politician using his position as governor to enrich himself by getting control of Pryce Mining (and I think it is safe to assume other companies).

However in Rebels he is portrayed as a good and noble man with the best interest of his planet and people at heart.

7. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    There is exposition in Rebels that talks about his character growth when Ezra first meets up with him and finds out about his parents.

Also, for those who had read the book, the Finale storyline with him
    selling out the Rebels makes the viewer seriously question if Ryder did turn traitor or if it was all part of the plan. For me - his depiction in both Thrawn and Rebels is consistent enough.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  8. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Well, Azadi has always been portrayed as having a bit of selfishness in him. He really didn't want to join up with the rebels when he was introduced, and only did so when he was left no other choice.
    I also took it, that it was for this reason his 'treachery' in the rebels series finale was easy to buy.

Even so, it's been a while since I've listened to the Thrawn Audiobook (Haven't had the time to get the latest comic), but I recall Azadi was never shown to be personally responsible for the bad stuff that happened to Pryce. All we're shown is his underlings speaking on his behalf, which I assumed to mean even if he's a good guy, he most certainly ran a corrupt administration.

9. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    To be fair, we never hear from Azadi himself directly. It could be his staff that is corrupt and he is too nice and gets duped.

That is my "head-canon" explanation anyway. But it did strike me as odd as well...

SilentGuy66 and Chris0013 like this.
  10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This is what I am assuming...people in his office using his name to enrich themselves behind his back. I would have liked to seen it addressed before Pryce got blowed up.

11. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Well there is still a chance. Pryce probably won't be a leading character in Thrawn: Alliances, but I can see the titular character offering some contemplations on her rise to power.

12. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I also found Azadi's behaviour in Thrawn to be odd, but I think it's worth noting that we never actually get to see the situation from his perspective - just Pryce's. Keep in mind that when she goes to Senator Renking for help, he tells her that her only two choices are to give her family company up to Azadi or the Empire, the latter of which was seizing any source of doonium it could find at the time. It seemed to me that the implication was that as a Governor, Azadi had more political clout to prevent the Empire from seizing assets that legally belonged to him. For all we know, Azadi was manoeuvring to deny the Empire an additional source of doonium (which makes sense, given that he was later arrested for treason), or he might have been trying to do the Pryces a solid by taking control on-paper to protect it from nationalisation, whilst still leaving the day-to-day administration to them. He just couldn't say as much, and Pryce, being much younger and inexperienced at the time, couldn't read between the lines to see the political considerations at play in his takeover bid.

13. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Finally read the new comic, and ouch, that ending hurt almost as much in comic book form as it did in the original reading.:(
    It did feel a little rushed, but I was impressed by how much of the book they managed to communicate in one issue.
    And the visual evolution of Pryce from innocent farm girl to greedy and selfish governor was perfectly done.

One question, did I miss something or did they forget to mention how Arihnda's parent's got their new job on Batonn? Cause it will be pretty random when they just show up there in a few issues.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She’s been in quite a bit of Legends, as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I honestly really didn't get into Star Wars novels until the new canon, most stuff I read back then were comics. I've been slowly going back though.

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest
    3/6 has been released as of last week.

Still on my to do list to read as I haven't gotten a chance to yet.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Thrawn #6 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THRAWN #6 (OF 6)
    JODY HOUSER (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)
    Cover by Paul Renaud
    Variant Cover by TBA
    THE RISE OF THE GRAND ADMIRAL
    REACHES ITS CLIMAX!
    • THRAWN at last meets his greatest enemy face-to-face!
    • Will PRYCE’s final gambit to save her family succeed?
    • And what role will ELI VANTO play in Thrawn’s ultimate plan?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2018 Lucasfilm Ltd.

19. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Interesting how different the depictions of Thrawn are on each cover! This one is far removed from the Ghoul-like one of issue 3's variant...

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did that moff have messed up eye colour like the colour of the spice cuz he was all doped up on it or am I reading it wrong? Anyway, interesting issue that it's a Thrawn issue but it's basically Pryce's origin story. Find myself feeling for her a bit since on Rebels she's always been nasty (and, to be fair, she's still nasty at the end of this issue). Also, Pryce smiling, wow!

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Finally got a chance to read #3. So was Pryce always from Lothal in the original Thrawn novel? When Lothal was the main setting of Rebels cartoon did all you EU readers know what was eventually coming?

22. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Pryce was from Lothal, this comic does really well about retelling the story from the book just condensed. Also this book came out before Rebels season 4, so if you are referring to (novel / Rebels season 4 spoilers)
    all the destruction Pryce caused and the people she killed by blowing stuff up, then getting blown up herself it was something I had kind of predicted it and I presume others may have as well.

Supreme Leader Woke and Daneira like this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Thrawn #4 preview
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Rennzwerg

Mar 26, 2017
    Thanks for the preview! I enjoyed the parts in the book where Thrawn is mentoring Eli. Pity that this side of his character never made it into Rebels.

Looking forward to the next issue! I hadn't realised it at the time but this is a nice build-up to the next book.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I know it's been said a lot already, but it's so cool to see this as a comic. For a book where there's a LOT of talking, the writer and artist did a great job moving it along and putting a lot of little artistic details into scenes. Thrawn also looks consistently so ominously cool.