main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Comics Thrawn #1-6 comic adaptation (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by iPodwithnomusic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Think back a few years--put yourself in the mindset you were in right after the reboot was announced. What would that person think if they knew we'd effectively be getting a Mist Encounter comic book in 2018?

Speaking of which, re: novel vs. new story--what I'd love is for them to just adapt the beginning at first, then move ahead into the time jumps of the novel and tell an ongoing story from there that runs in parallel with the novel. They could keep that up for years if Poe is any indication.

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Luke Ross, yes!!!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm also pretty curious about what they mean by "both," given that this is a mini-series and the Thrawn novel has a lot to cover, even when you trim the fat. I imagine it will focus specifically on the real meat of the story and hew closely to the style of the RO comic adaptation, where it adopts the plot but also includes some extra, complementary scenes that don't appear in the primary source.

On this note, I'm loving the broader tendency towards bringing out more visual adaptations of text-based stories. Even though some of the earliest Canon novels pre-empted this phase, it amazes me that a lot of the more recent adult or young reader novels have been partially reproduced in a visual medium: Lost Stars has gotten a manga, the Journey to the Force Awakens junior novels got comics and/or kid's picture book spin-offs, etc. And now Thrawn is getting a comic reprint with something extra. I mean, it would be unthinkable a few years back that someone would reference, say, Sesid - an obscure planet that only appeared once in Legends in a WEG-era Visual Guide and never got mentioned again - in their novel and then have that planet depicted visually soon after. Just think of how long it took Cal Omas to receive an image. I really hope they keep up and expand this practise, especially since it's an ideal medium for visually representing a lot of characters/planets/ships/etc. that might get overlooked otherwise.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah--it's not an accident that Aphra got an action figure before, say, Sloane. In SW visuals are life.

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'd have been a helluva lot more excited about Disneyverse, that's for sure.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    this for me too. I was going to buy Thrawn in paperback but, heck, the comic will be on issue #1 by then and I ain't gonna tell the guys at my faithful comic shope "No, I want every single issue of Star Wars except for the Thrawn one"

Which is fine, my novel reading list is still 5 books high.

starocean90 likes this.
  7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I think it's a safe bet that the comic will continue Thrawn's story after Rebels ends. A February release puts it about a month before Rebels series finale, if the same schedule is kept.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is this an adaption of the novel or a new story? Either way, looking forward to this.

9. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    This is the only time I have something to say about this

I think of all the ideas for a new comic series, I'm not thrilled they went with Thrawn. Even less thrilled that its a freaking book adaptation. They haven't released a mini series worth my time since Han Solo.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    If I'm understanding it correctly, the answer is "yes."

It seems to be a both-and.

11. Thats Nice I also remember that the heir of the empire had an adaptation to comic and the Yuuzhan Vong war also had an adaptation to comic but never completed

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Invasion wasn't an adaptation the way comics have been of movies/novels. It was a standalone story with minimal references to events from the NJO novels.

The Thrawn Trilogy and Shadows of the Empire are adaptations though.

The Force Unleashed comics, and the Shadows of the Empire comics, being part of a "multimedia project" had more slack to include events that weren't in the novels they were adapting - "bonuses" so to speak. Same with the video games. To get the complete experience of everything in the story, you had to read novel, play game, and read comic. Though experiencing just one component, gave most of it.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    This is pretty interesting. Thrawn is getting a hell of a lot of NEU love. Three mediums now. I'm wondering if Thrawn will play a bigger role in the grand scheme, post Rebels.

Or perhaps they are merely capitalizing on Thrawn while they can.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Daneira likes this.
  14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Same, but specifically Kevin O'Leary for some reason

Darth_Duck and Senpezeco like this.
  15. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Oh yes, thank the gods. I believe Luke Ross is the best artist they have working on SW at the moment. There's a clarity and flow to his panels that demonstrates that he knows how to tell a story. I can always tell what's going on (even without the writing), and there's a continuity across each panel that's shockingly fresh given that most of his colleagues are failing this. His artwork is also really pretty to look at and is consistent. In other words he succeeds in all 4 areas of comic art!

BigAl6ft6, LelalMekha and spicer like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So how does the spoiler warning work in this thread? Nerd OCD kicking in. Haven't read book, gak!

17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Some interior art.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The art looks great, however, I couldn't help but notice that Vader is drawn in the style from Rebels, and not like his live action version. I wonder if everything will be drawn in that style i.e. not translated into "live action" form?

Ventrix likes this.
  19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Looking forward to seeing canon Vong. :p

20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    See, I'm all happy and excited, then you go and say something like this.

21. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Clones [face_love]

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    nice, Thrawn's College Years represent!

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Sweet, Luke Ross’s art looks good.

redxavier and spicer like this.
  25. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Interesting that they have Phase I Clone Troopers on the cover. I wonder if it will be corrected to Phase II?
    [​IMG]