main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think everyone involved will have to work hard to make Snoke even remotely as interesting as Nom Anor.

2. Tassy

Tassy Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2017
    Really? That would be sad. :( Where did Zahn confirm this? Alliances kind of suggest that one of the alliances could be Eli and the Chiss.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  3. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It was during an interview he did last month (or so). He was asked if Eli and the Chiss would appear and said that they wouldn't, but he had plans for them in a later novel.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  4. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

LOVE IT!!! Yes, lets do that

5. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Just finished reading Thrawn. I enjoyed the character so much along with others in the book. I loved Eli Vanto's progression. Will enjoy this book, can't wait to see these two go at it!

6. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I cant believe I have to wait till late June to read a new Star Wars novel. UGGHHH!!!

kalzeth likes this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think there may be one released sooner. If they want to do something related to TFA or the end of Rebels, which I find likely, they probably would want to hold off on announcing it in order to avoid spoilers. Or even the Han Solo movie, which is released in May. I can't imagine there not being a book tied to that. Since they haven't started advertising it yet, I could see them holding off on an announcement.

bsmith7174 and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  8. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Their is going to be a Solo: novelization without a doubt. When they will release it is anyone's guess. Possibly the same day as the movie, but they pushed back the TLJ novelization to be 3 months after the movie is coming out. Still totally confounded why they did that but if its repeated, the Solo novelization will come out in late August which is almost on schedule for the 3-month grace period between novels. Here's my 2 cents

March- TLJ novelization

June- Thrawn: Alliances

August/September- Solo novelization

Ever the pessimist :(

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I know why they delayed the novelisation. Can't say why here though, not yet. It is severely unlikely to my mind there will be any such need to do so on the Solo book.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  10. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Well, after watching The Last Jedi I am 100% confident Thrawn is not with the First Order or had anything to do with the establishment of its military doctrine. They are far too incompetent...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

11. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Could you PM the reason? I'd like to know the odd situation concerning LJs novel release, unless it's a real need to know basis kind of deal.

12. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    Having seen the movie, I'm pretty sure it's for spoiler reasons. Unless I'm wrong and Jedi Ben is referring to something entirely different from what I'm thinking of.

Jedi Ben and kalzeth like this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

I mean, I knew it too, since they basically say as much in Empire's End. I just didn't have to come up with a reason to give TLJ crap in an unrelated thread in the process.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, it's no mystery guys, I consider TLJ's novelisation to have been bumped due to the content of the film. Obviously, there's many other threads for talking about that.

Not every bookseller goes by a strict set release date and we've seen people get books early by entirely legit means.

Thinking about it a bit more though, releasing in March also does a couple of other things - people's bank accounts will have recovered from Xmas and it puts TLJ back in the news.

15. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Apologies, posted in the wrong thread. Never mind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

16. bango31

bango31 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2016
    This is kind of news I needed after The Last Jedi disappointed me.

17. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    So, I was just informed by Amazon that the Thrawn: Alliances release date has been pushed back to July 24th. Bummer...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  18. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    That blows. So we are going to go though the whole first half of 2018 without an original adult novel? Unless there’s an unannounced Solo tie-in. Even then...geez

19. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Well, we can re-read last year's "Norse Mythology" while we wait. That's what I did.

kalzeth and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  20. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!! Darth Internous I summon you!!! Enlighten us as to WHY!!!!

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Please don't be rude. It's not nice to yell or demand things.

DarthSienna and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    More time for me to go back and revisit the various Zahn stories of yonder I suppose.

...Command Decision was some good readin'.

23. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm joking around 8-}

24. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Hello everyone. I hope you're all having a wonderful Sunday evening or, whatever day/time it happens to be in your corner of the globe. All is well, nothing has changed. The July date you're now seeing on all of your pre-orders was always (give or take a day) going to be the release date of the book. Always.

You'll remember that during the announcement at NYCC and all subsequent announcements, like the final cover reveal, the words "Summer 2018" have been used regarding the release date. That was VERY intentional. We did not use that June whatever date (a date I've never bothered to memorize since it was always bogus). We do this often. Books shift around, change dates, etc. Of course, if there are no issues or problems it's natural to wonder why. So I'll explain one reason via a short and likely boring explanation of the one of the more mundane aspects of publishing.

When books are created in a publisher's system, a number of automated sub-systems kick in based on the release date. These sub-systems inform everything from the production schedule, to the release of marketing/sales materials, to when copy/cover art is scheduled to automatically become publicly available if it isn't released earlier. There are other things, those are just some examples. Publishing is a big/sometimes cumbersome endeavor, so these systems help keep everyone on track and help publishers who have to release multiple titles a week 52 weeks a year.

So, sometimes, in order to make sure these subsystems engage or DON'T engage at specific times we will put a fake date into the system, then update the system later with the real date. The system isn't really malleable enough to tweak it at the individual sub-system level so this is the best solve (I mean, it can be, but only in special circumstances and that's complicated and not worth getting into here). You may think that about 1 month might not make a lot of difference with those systems, but in fact it does.

So that's what was going on here. I realize that's little comfort for everyone excited to read the book, but in the interest of trying to be as educational I as I can, there's the explanation.

Cheers - #MTFBWY