main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Looking forward to it. I loved the moments in the last Thrawn book when He talked about his respect for Anakin during their encounter in the Clone Wars. Zahn of all people will make Vader and Thrawn's interactions an exciting read.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is the book I am most looking forward to

3. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I just finished Thrawn today and can't wait for this. I liked the end scene and can't wait where it goes. BTW, where's the Thrawn book thread?

TripleZero likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It is in this forum obviously, but it is likely a few pages back.

5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think I'm always going to hold out hope whenever I see a new Zahn novel that he'll recanonise something else from his Legends stories, (Pellaeon and Talon Karrde, C'monnnn) but I'm also pretty interested to see if he continues to include newer characters into the greater mythology that he can build up. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Palleon almost does not seem possible at this point since he now has Eli.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Eli's going a different route I think, what with his adventures in the Unknown Regions.

Plus, you look at the various Thrawn stories that Zahn's written, he had a few "Watsons" to give us a POV on Thrawn as it fit the timeline he wrote the character in. Car'das for Outbound Flight/Choices of One,Parck for Mist Encounter/Crisis of Faith, Niriz for Command Decision, before Pellaeon came to be his main sidekick for the Trilogy.

Does beg the question as to who's going to be the POV for this book. I'm reasonably sure we'll get something from Thrawn himself again, and possibly even some chapters in flashback from the perspective of Anakin, but usually Zahn has most of the action told from a human character's perspective.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The adventures of Thrawn, Vader, and random mid-ranking Imperial officer! The teamup of the century!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyndicThrass likes this.
  9. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm still fuming this book was pushed back. We have a huge gap in between novels. The dumb TLJ novelization which should've just been released on December 15th and nothing from September 2017 (Phasma) to July (2018) Thrawn: Alliances. That's just under a year!!!!

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It wasn't pushed back.

11. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yeah, I looked and I think it was closed.

That is a while I agree, hopefully we get more. In the meatime I'll anxiously await this book, couldn't help but preorder it after I finished Thrawn.

12. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Pairing up Vader and Thrawn, for me, is like pairing up Batman and Sherlock Holmes....if Batman and Sherlock were, you know, evil.

13. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    There was also From A Certain Point of View in October and Canto Bight in December. Sure, they're short stories/novellas but they were something the folks at Del Rey worked hard on.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

14. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    They did that in the Darth Vader comics by Kieron Gillen. Sherlock and Watson. That Imperial guy and Vader.It still sucked.....

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Inspector Thanoth was great, liked how that storyline concluded too.

16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I also liked that storyline in the Vader comic. They weren't properly working together though since Vader was covering his tracks from him. This time it's going to be a lot more interesting.

17. GrandAdmiralThrawn66

GrandAdmiralThrawn66 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    I can honestly say the new Thrawn book is the only Star Wars story I had read in seven or eight years. I will buy this day 1 and read it for sure.

I did enjoy the 20th Anniversary of Heir to the Empire

18. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    So Timothy Zahn did an interview recently where he touched briefly on this new novel. He didn't go into detail, but he did say that Thrawn and Vader isn't a case of Brain vs Brawn as he believes Vader is quite smart. He also mentioned that there's an interesting amount of verbal sparring between the two characters over their respective ranks within the Empire, while they also slowly come to rely on each other.

Revanfan1, kalzeth, PimpBacca and 2 others like this.
  19. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Cool, that sounds great. Thanks for sharing. Zahn didn't possibly hint whether the book is set after Rebels?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I need to pre-order this.

21. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    He didn't really touch on it's setting, just said that he thinks that so long as Thrawn remains popular (and sells) that they'll keep both the character and Zahn himself around.

22. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Do you have a link to the interview ?

23. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm irrationally hoping that this book is going to be a nu-canon adaptation of Grand Admiral Zaarin's coup attempt from TIE Fighter.

Revanfan1, Ithorians, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    But wasn't that the event that allowed Thrawn to be promoted to Grand Admiral? He's already a Grand Admiral at this point.