main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Scoundrels was the most Bantam of any Del Rey novel -- I definitely recommend it. As someone who also had doubts after reading the Choices of One series. Scoundrels' major problem was that it set up a lot of unresolved plots and felt like Zahn really wanted to do a sequel.

2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm expecting.

3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    I wonder what the new threat is supposed to be.

One of the reasons the "villain" in the last Thrawn book worked better for me than in Choices of One was that he was a Rebel given a sympathetic motivation, which made lots of opportunity to make him well-rounded and interesting, as opposed to Nuso Esva, who was just supposed to be more villainous villain and ended up being rather two-dimensional.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  4. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    I haven't read that one in a while. What did they set up? Other than Villachor going to work for Imperial Intelligence...

5. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I wonder if this was planned before the first book was released or after mostly positive feedback it was decided they'd do another.
    Also, do you think we might get a comic adaptation of this since we're getting a comic adaptation of the first book?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think it has to do with the fact that there is a lot of story left to tell about Thrawn within the novels. Though the Thrawn novel was extremely successful there have been a few other new canon novels that were just as successful and very well received as well. Catalyst and Bloodline sold about the same as Thrawn did and were very well liked also.

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    1. YAAASSSSS. I honestly checked Amazon this morning LOL

3. Thanks for the reminder!

5. Do I get a prize? :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Barriss, we truly have differring perspectives. Scoundrels is my least favorite Zahn book by far, which surprised me since I loved the short story released just prior to the book.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It's definitely not one of the best books ever (the loose ends were annoying), but I got the impression Zahn wrote it for fun more than anything else. It's sort of goofy yeah, but that's what I'd expect from a Han & Lando book.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Scoundrels was fun, yeah. I liked it much better than the miserable "Allegiance" series.

my kind of scum likes this.
  11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I think I'm the only person who really liked Allegiance/Choices of One. Choices, especially.

12. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm with you. Loved them. Scoundrels was really, really boring, IMO. But I know it was well liked in general. As was Mercy Kill...which was also very...meh to me.

Thrawn was ok, but I was also really into it at the same time. Loads better than Scoundrels...which I sincerely was looking forward too. I enjoyed all Zahn's Del Rey books up to that point. Outbound Flight was possibly my favorite.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’ll read another thrawn novel, yes please.

14. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    My undying love and admiration.

Also that button I gave you

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Mercy Kill was a mixed bag for me. It had great character moments, great action, heartbreaking death scenes, and a lot of other staples from the Wraith Squadron trilogy. But it lacked a good villain or a good climax, and the third act of the book just kind of fell apart. Miles better than any of Allston's Fate of the Jedi stuff, but still missing enough to be a solid book.

OK. I'll say it if no one else will. We're all thinking it, anyway: The book will feature Thrawn outsmarting Anakin/Vader at every opportunity. Come on, guys. We all know that it will.

16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Nope, I do too. Of course, The A-Team in the Star Wars universe is putting one of my favorite TV shows and one of my favorite movie franchises together, so it was almost inevitable that I'd like it.

Now, make a MacGyver book in the Star Wars universe, and I'll never ask for another story again.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Allegiance I did not particularly enjoy. Choices of One I very much enjoyed. Scoundrels I expected to dislike but really enjoyed.

Similarly though the Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn Duology were spectacular, but Survivors Quest I struggled a bit with. However Outbound Flight was brilliant. So the quality is generally a lot better than Allegiance for me... and I considered Thrawn on the level of Zahn’s very best.

I am for some reason concerned Alliances will be a very narrow story but only because the first one seemed to be about fifteen or sixteen years long to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thrawn worked for me on two bases:

1. Thrawn has visible weaknesses (bad at politics and people) and wasn't a (as much of) a Saint. I enjoyed Thrawn's bumbling -- I historically liked him as a character, until he became Too Good in every sense. Thrawn in Rebels and the book is more akin to the original Thrawn I think. I've wanted more Thrawn, so long as he was more grounded and we got thatch

2. Pryce stole the show. Her chapters felt like the reward for reading Thrawn chapters.

3. Sorry I'm adding a third reason, but I was a sucker for all that Coruscant stuff.

In Zahn books, high society types are almost always antagonists... but I'm ok with that because he also always uses them. I'll take that deal.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I mean, I can tell from your username why you might have had some affection for it, but personally I just... can't defend Choices on any level. I think it and the 'series' in general bears far and away the most responsibility for perceptions like this

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I will admit that the Thrawn in Thrawn is more flawed and fallible than he has been in literally decades, but yeah, the Thrawn- and Mara-worship in Choices is still going to take some more time to get over. And they weren't the only bad subplots in a book full of them, either. I hesitate to compare the Hand of Judgment to the A-Team because the members of the A-Team all had distinct personalities. In the Hand, LaRone is the only one with any personality at all --- in Choices the rest of them all had zero-note personalities and were indistinguishable from each other. They might as well have been named Trooper A, Trooper B, etc. Would have made it easier to keep track of who was who.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I actually think Alliegence was worse then Choices in Jmo. Luke literally being locked in a cupboard/Darth Vader going on Google and being jealous of an 19 year old it was all just eww. He even redid a scene from Spector of the Past only swapping Luke with Mara. It was TFA before TFA was uncool

Jeff_Ferguson you consider Chouces worse than Alliegence ?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Allegiance was a serviceable book. Nothing to write home about, but it was a decent little OT-era adventure that cleverly had Luke and Mara at the same place without seeing or meeting each other, and the only egregious Mara-worship was when she turned off the lights and got the better of Vader. Although I didn't like the re-writing of Mara's Force abilities --- the 90s had led us to believe that during the OT she was a skilled assassin who used The Force to augment her stealth and killing abilities, but by 2007 the prequels had happened so suddenly she was a prequel-era Jedi who swung a lightsaber around and backflipped and stuff.

Choices, on the other hand, was just awful. Luke's subplot saw him gaping at how amazing and incredible Mara was with The Force while she simultaneously was disgusted with how sloppy and terrible he was (ugh). Meanwhile, Thrawn predicted that the Rebels would make a base on an ice planet and warned Palpatine not to dismiss the indigenous population of Endor. Seriously? Seriously?? The Lord Odo subplot lacked any suspense, as the parallels between him and Thrawn were too obvious for him to end up being anyone but the bad guy. The Han and Leia subplot was utterly generic Han-and-Leia-bickering-between-ANH-and-ESB that we had seen a thousand times before. The Hand of Judgment got zero characterization beyond LaRone. Zahn tried to do way too much in this book and failed miserably at all of it. Well actually the scenes from Pellaeon's POV weren't bad, and Airen Cracken had a cameo, so that was cool. But all in all the book was an FOTJ-level catastrophe. That's why I asked about Scoundrels, as the last two Zahn books I've read have been messes.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    My own view is that Scoundrels was kind of meh tbh, almost dare I say it boring. Not bad just bland. The best scenes were the Winter scenes but she was clearly an after thought and the whole Oceans Eleven plot was the main story and was very forgettable. If not for the rather pointless twist reveal at the end, I doubt it would've been remembered at all.

For me Outbound Flight is still the best Zahn out there.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Allegiance was okay at best. Choices was rubbish. I'd underline twice if I could.

(And I thought Scoundrels was fun, but I don't know how much my opinion's gonna help you since I also thought Thrawn was great).

25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Allegiance and Choices were both low points in Zahn's run, and I can't say I ever really cared too much about the whole Robin Hood-Stormtrooper thing. I didn't hate the books, but I found them tedious at times. Though, in defence of Choices, I did really like the concept of Nuso Esva...the actual idea that the Unknown Regions factions would intrude on the Empire and Rebellion's turf is fascinating to me.

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.