main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn Alliances Book - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I meant to say: and I'll whisper...Zahn

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why are you guys being so weird?

3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yeah, Ben. WTH!

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More like you mean whatever the hell we did so many minutes ago.

5. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    All of the Star Wars authors were kidnapped to clone a giant Snoke to send to New York.

6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So is this really coming out next July? And yet it's already written now in October? Any ideas on why the long gap between completion and release?

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Because although it's "done," there are still edits and revisions. It's likely that the draft is not the final one.

8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    He's a fast writer, but I have to wonder if he wasn't given the go-ahead for multiple books well in advance. The man has one of the best poker faces, so you'd never know what he's holding back.

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Also publishing is glacially slow.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  10. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I hope this book will be much more Thrawn content than Thrawn (novel) had. I didn't enjoy reading about Pryce as much compared to Thrawn. I was just waiting to get done with those chapters and get back to the good stuff.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'd like to see Rae Sloane pop up in here as well.

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that you have a valid point. I just want Vader to be shown as Thrawn's equal, as opposed to a force-wielding brute. Vader and Thrawn are probably my two favourite Star Wars characters and I really want this novel to do justice to both characters.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017

Books are always written WELL in advance of publication. For non-tie in books (pick any of your favorite authors) most books will actually be done and ready around 1 year before they publish. Seriously, I'm looking right now at a completely finished, 100% clean, 100% done manuscript (NOT STAR WARS RELATED) that could be published tomorrow. But, it isn't coming until 2018.

Why?

Because publishing takes a lot of time. Books need to be "sold" to bookstores - ie book publishers need to essentially convince booksellers to buy the book, and buy in (hopefully) big quantities. And much like other goods (clothes, shoes, etc) these things are sold in cycles MONTHS before the actual moment that product will hit shelves. Those great new summer clothes you're going to find next year? Retailers are probably already setting their stock orders for that now, or soon will be. All of the great holiday merchandise/deals you're going to start seeing crop up? Yeah, all of that was done in April/May.

So...AFTER all of that, then books need to have marketing pushes, and publicity moments to create awareness and excitement. And this is a slow inexorable process. It takes time to build momentum. Especially for a debut book, or a smaller author trying to gain a wider audience.

And then finally, it takes some time to actually print, bind and ship books. So there's time built in for that.

Now, like I said, tie-in books, and SW are different. Timelines can sometimes be truncated, but the same general principles apply. Read everything I just wrote above and ask can we really do all of that in 2-3 months? (The answer actually is yes, but it's a bad idea to do that too often. Otherwise you end up like Quint in Jaws....running the engines in the red and eventually the engine explodes and the shark eats you.)

***sorry for derailing, back to Thrawn: Alliances***

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    This is apparently going to have Anakin flashbacks, which will require Zahn to get into Anakin's headspace. I get the feeling that will result in a very nuanced portrayal of Vader (or, worst case scenario, Anakin as a force wielding brute lol)

La Calavera and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    This is what it feels like to be Zahn getting into Anakin's head forever.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

17. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I bet the people doing it feel differently ;)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    To be fair, three months a hardcover is fine in my eyes. And we’re 10 months ahead of Thrawn...?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I haven't finished reading Thrawn yet, but there are several mentions of some kind of "extra-galactic threat" throughout the book. Could Alliances be about the Empire fighting some Yuuzhan Vong-type alien threat outside the known Galaxy?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Unknown Regions threat? Probably. Vong? Who knows?

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well we were super close to a Vong scout ship in Clone Wars... Thrawn too perhaps?

Balaaa, Revanfan1, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  22. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    . . . and turns out that's where Thrawn's been for the last 40 years, in the Unknown regions fighting a secret war

damn that would be awesome. Highly unlikely, but awesome.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've wondered about that ever since we found out he knew Anakin during the Clone Wars.

Revanfan1 and Sinrebirth like this.
  24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I suppose I'll be the lone nut who spitballs the idea that maybe Thrawn and Vader encounter something Snoke related, and that's how Snoke becomes aware of the Skywalker Bloodline.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That’d be all kinds of awesome.

I just want to see Skywalker and Thrawn side by side.

MandaloreRex2015 and Rax like this.