main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Thrawn Fans Unite !!!!! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Lordban, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    As I have mentioned in the X-wing Fan Club, I am rereading the Thrawn Trilogy as part of a rereading of my Bantam favorites, starting with Heir to the Empire.

2. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Well, Red Sky, Blue Flame claims that Chiss generally run off to training academies at the age of 10 (Shawnkyr is only 12 in the short story), so mid-late 20s Chiss should probably be considered accordingly.
    Granted, RSBF is ridden with continuity fails, so take that how you will.

AnnaRe likes this.
  3. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    It's a good read Zeta1127 ;) Feel free to discuss what you think of Thrawn, battle strategies, and other points here with us.

Well, also it is generally considered valid that the Chiss mature must faster then humans, yet still have a long life. So in a way it's not too hard to invision someone who's had a hard start to life ending up like Thrawn in some way by the mid-late twenties, especially if they get past the hormonal angst quicker then humans. Which could possibly add another four or seven years to mental maturation compared to same aged adult humans. Although considering some humans that doesn't say much, so I just mark it off as him being an artist/social savant that was able to use it for the defense of his people.

4. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's very much a case of where to begin.

5. AnnaRe

AnnaRe Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2012
    Yes, you're right. But at the same time Thrawn says in OBF that he is the youngest commander ever in Expansionary Defense Fleet (is it called that?), which indicates that he is supposed to be special. But as you said, Red Sky Blue Flame was very problematic when it came to continuity ...

6. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Oh, continuity...not one of the EU's stronger points these days...make that Star Wars in general. Phooey. :oops:

7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have finished Heir to the Empire and started on Dark Force Rising.

8. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Hey, Vana here! :) I come back from time to time!

Just to share with you that fantastic artwork of Thrawn (exiled version, from the Mist Encounter novel - if you didn't read it yet, DO IT, it's really good)
    artwork by Wraith DT(Darren Tan) - Thrawn looks so good and handsome here. With his long hair *_* coming right out of his jungle :)
    [​IMG]

thesevegetables likes this.
  9. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Nice! He's so... delightfully unkempt. ;)

[​IMG]

Someone posted this one on the Essential Reader's Companion thread- assuming this is from the Stackpole/Zahn short story Side Trip?

Thrawn1786 and Darth_Kiryan like this.
  10. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Now those are both fantastic :D I like them both very much and even remember the stories they are from. I think it was actually you Vana or just this thread in general that introduced me to that story and made me have to track down the book to be able to buy it, now I have the black and white D6 sketch of Thrawn before Zahn had written the novel with him I think.

11. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Yes maybe it's me!!

There is this one also, from Outbound flight:
    [​IMG]

12. AnnaRe

AnnaRe Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2012
    Hi everyone!

Vana, I looove that picture where he has long hair. Fangasm! I don't like that one from Side Trip though, it looks like he has the beginnings of a double chin...
    But oh well, as soon as you read a story with him in it, his sex appeal shines through no matter what ;)

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have finished Dark Force Rising and started on The Last Command.

14. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Good, good. Your addiction training is nearly complete. :cool:

15. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Good, good. Your addiction training is nearly complete. :cool:

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    This isn't the first time I have read these, its just been a few years.

17. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Ah, so just a booster dose :cool:

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
  19. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey I'm new here, but am a huge Thrawn fan. Did anyone else mind that Thrawn new Palpatine 27BBY? When I read OBF that kind of irritated me. I guess because after he helps Palpatine he gets exiled and it later "discovered" by Imps again. I guess I never understood why, if Palpatine valued him so much, he never sought out Thrawn in his exile. With Palpatine's immense money and pulls I'm sure he could have found him sooner.

20. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    It mentions somewhere (Vision of the Future, maybe, when Parck & Fel talk to Luke & Mara? EDIT: Red Sky, Blue Flame, according to the Wook- but that isn't a Zahn story which could explain some inconsistencies) that Palpatine somehow found a way to contact the Ascendancy and tried to lure Thrawn to the Empire but that Thrawn could not honorably leave, so he orchestrated his own exile to free him from his duties to the Ascendancy.

But that still makes the Mist Encounter story awfully coincidental without any unseen strings being pulled by Palpatine.

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Ok. haven't read Red Sky, Blue Flame so I didn't know that. Thanks.

22. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    No prob, but do bear in mind that Red Sky, Blue Flame is really not the best source from which to construct a history of Thrawn. As I said, it is not written by Zahn (as opposed to nearly every other thing out there remotely tied into the character) and it is fraught with canon inconsistencies- it is also told from a fairly limited perspective of a young Jag Fel, who could very well have the Thrawn story wrong. A fun short story though.

23. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Does Zahn have some kind deal where only he writes Thrawn. I cant think of any other author who has touched him. Maybe Stackpole, right?

24. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I just assume that other authors are terrified to go near the character, lol. IIRC, Stackpole has only written him in collaboration with Zahn... Denning sort of wrote him in Tatooine Ghost, and RS, BF is Elaine Cunningham.

25. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Is Tatooine Ghost worth reading? I have yet to hear anything good about...