main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Thrawn Fans Unite !!!!! (v 2.0)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Lordban, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't think so, but its certainly possible...

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Thrawn was good, but I am an even beter tactician! :)

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I had asked this before on another board but received no response. Is Thrawn a half Chiss or is he pure blooded? The Thrawn Trilogy mentioned that he was, but I have the impression that Zahn just made him a full born Chiss in the later novels, which I did not read; Well, at least not all of them.

For the life of me, I just couldn't get into the Hand of Thrawn duology, although some here claim was better than TTT. I had recently finished the first book (which is actually my second attempt) and so far still think it rates as an inferior story compared to Zahn's three book cycle. But, for some reason I cannot get into the second book and struggling to read it through. The problem I have with these two books is mainly because of the antagonists. They're soooo boring.

4. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    There is never a suggestion that Thrawn is half-Chiss, as far as I know. It would be pretty crazy if he were, considering the isolation of the Ascendancy.
    I think maybe in the Thrawn Trilogy there is speculation that he might be half or part human? (And the Wook speculates that Chiss may be distantly related to/descended from humans) But in the trilogy, we didn't even know the name of his species so I don't know why we would have details about 'how Chiss' he was.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Characters who have never met other Chiss, like Han, say things like "He wasn't human. At least, not entirely".

Later sources explicitly state that the Chiss are descended from humans, who arrived on Csilla around 20,000 years before ANH.

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Pellaeon had implied (through his thinking, that is) that he was of mixed heritage. All three books pretty much hinted at the beginning of each that he was, more or less.

7. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    But nobody knows anything about the Chiss yet at this point. So Pellaeon thinking he looks of mixed heritage is relative- he thinks he looks somewhat human but he also has no idea what the Chiss look like.
    So you can't really read the Thrawn Trilogy as definitive either way; it isn't until you see more Chiss in Vision of the Future that you know that there's a whole species of people out there who look just like Thrawn, and you learn what they are called.
    Pellaeon's thinking is reconciled by what Iron_lord pointed out- it's established later that Chiss are human descendants. So it makes sense that Thrawn looks partially human to Pellaeon, while still being fully Chiss.

8. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    The time has come for the voting of a new chancellor, please let your voices be heard here or in the Senate.

Also just read the short story with Thrawn and Esva at the end of the 25th anniversary ed Heir of the Empire book. Wow. I knew something was up, but I didn't piece it together until it was starting to fully unfold. Also the show casing of alien races that take center stage instead of the human norm was a delight of this short story.

As for the Chiss being descended from humans, where was this stated?

9. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Some (non-Zahn, I believe) story that I pretend never happened...

10. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    I've tried to read most of the official stories, I don't remember one doing such a thing. Well, I shall pretend it was an error of the recording historian for that volume ;)

11. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I feel like the Chiss/Human thing was speculated more so than stated.

Okay, just looked at the Wook- it was apparently speculated somewhere in Outbound Flight but the actual source that claims it as truth is a Roleplaying supplement called The Unknown Regions. *shrug*

12. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Are those considered canon?

13. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    I...guess? :confused: They get slapped with the logo and I assume are vetted by the continuity people.

14. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Yes, unless contradicted. The RPGS sources came up with a lot of EU stuff...
    But I'm ignoring this.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a view that, the more human something looks in SW, the more likely it is to be related to humans.

Chiss basically look like blue-skinned, red-eyed humans- thus the theory that they're descended from humans. Which Unknown Regions attempted to canonize- I'm not sure if Zahn helped write it- or it was taken from an old article of Zahns- or if it's entirely a non-Zahn theory.

16. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    EDIT: Warning, what follows is a rant, proceed at your own risk.

From what I remember I think it was a non-Zahn theory. I actually have the book and yes it does state that "genetic analysis indicates that they are a human offshoot" and believed to be possibly from a theorized sleeper ship and genetically mutated to their present form over 27,000 years. Which has me rubbing my head with an good-grief! Natural genetic mutation is far fetched considering the SW humans lack of delving into the field to any extent near even the Kaminoan level 27,000 years later and when met with harsh conditions humans adapt or die not spontaniously mutate to have glowing red eyes and vocal ranges superior to humans. That and recolonization to create the current chiss region of space, as well as their exstinsive recons of surrounding regions that have been indicated in books would mean a rather odd thing considering their given lifespans.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mutation is always a fairly small-scale thing in evolution- in the Chiss case- there would need to be very tiny changes to the eye (and skin colour) in every few generations - which are beneficial- and those with the changes ended up having more children than those without- resulting in the genes for the changes being transmitted through the entire population.

18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    In other words, it's not gonna happen.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Who knows how evolution works in the SW-verse though? And Sith (or Jedi) Alchemy can muddy the waters considerably.

Curtis Saxton was one of those who voiced the opinion that "chiss are probably human"

From the Humans & Humanoids section of SWTC:

20. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Hello fellow Thrawn fans old and new, it has been too long. :)

21. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Looks like the writer wasn't clear on what Unknown Regions and that it stood for basically over half the galaxy of SW as well accompanying galaxies. Still, very interesting points [face_thinking]

ThrawnSis! Long time no type :D Welcome back. So what did you think of the short story at the end of the 25th Aniversary ed. of Heir?

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    When Zahn was writing Vision of the Future he portrayed "explored space" as a quarter of the galaxy.

Later works have shown the galactic disc as mostly explored, except for about 15%, all on one side.

Conclusion- the other just-under-three-quarters of the "whole galaxy" represents the halo stars, and the nearest one or two satellite galaxies.

This is what The Essential Atlas went with.

23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    One thing that bothers me about all this is that the maps aren't in three dimensions. The unknown regions could surround them on all sides....

24. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    yea it is confusing when you factor in that third dimension....

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A friend of mine did this with teh mad photoshop skillz.

[​IMG]