main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

A bit younger than that.

Let's say "adulthood" is 20 - and Rex is one of the clones created at the very beginning, ten years before AOTC - so 20 biological years old at the start of AOTC.

Ezra is 16-odd when he meets Rex - was born 3 years after AOTC, the same day the Emperor formed the Empire in ROTS.

So - 19 years - Rex would be biologically 39 in Rebels.

The "age at double rate all the way through their lives" theory, would make Rex biologically 58 in Rebels.

Still "fifty-something", yet at the older end.

Wookieepedia's canon article for clone troopers cites the newcanon novel A New Dawn as the source for the idea that "accelerated aging process" played a part in deterioration of fighting skills:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_trooper

As stormtroopers, clones obeyed the new Emperor's will, enforced his laws, and destroyed the enemies of the Empire[20] during the early years of the dark times.[21] In time, however, the clones' fighting skills deteriorated as a result of their accelerated aging process.[22]

2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Fair enough, maths was never my strong point! Though given Thrawn made heavy use of clones in his old appearances (albeit by a method that is long since non-canon) it will be interesting to see how deeply they touch on it, if at all.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We know from the newcanon junior novels that there was at least one clone still serving - in Smuggler's Run.

In AOTC we see baby clones. In TCW Season 6, we continue to see baby clones (the Fives arc) - I would hypothesis that such a baby clone would work well for an adult post-ANH serving clone - he'd be about 40, physically - which is not horribly old for a serving soldier. I think Regimental Sergeant Majors and SAS officers reach that age bracket before retiring.

4. LinAjax

LinAjax Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2016
    I dont think its a straight double aging process. I mean if I designed a process you want them to hit 16 or so fast. get trained spend most of their time in prime and then fast decay at the end again.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be ideal - but aging acceleration in adulthood may be the price they have to pay for rapid growth in childhood - might not be so easy to engineer a "cutoff" in.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am actually not so certain about that. I think the genes for maturing are slightly different from the ones for just aging since people with for example progeria don't "grow up" faster, instead their young bodies just age.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So how did you all like Thrawn?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004
    Eerily calm and cultured with that controlled but not-quite monotone which conveys a palpable presence of understated dangerousness, unpredictability - someone who you don't ever want to trifle with; I thought Thrawn's TV depiction was immaculate and meshes well with the books.

Some people aren't enamoured with the voice but although it's quiet, IMO it's perfect for the character. It's like a blend of Baldur's Gate 2's Balthazar (deadly serious, cold and flat monotone) and NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer's Myrkul (a high whisper) and I absolutely love it.

However in this episode it felt like he barely got to do anything. Hopefully future episodes will really let Thrawn shine and let him show the rebels what he's capable of; if his strategic prowess and ruthlessness is only raved about instead of shown his character is going to look very silly and underwhelming.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sounds like Cumberbatch Khan. I'm not too impressed.

fett 4 likes this.
  10. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Is it said that there were huge civilian loss in the previous mission of Thrawn? Doesn't sound like him at all, to kill many civilians (except for that time where he said in the books that he didn't understand some species' art, but usually he wants to avoid killing civilians as much as possible)

Nickname320 and draw73 like this.
  11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah I was also bit surprised about such a mention- never thought Thrawn would be like that. And especially since Kallus was known to slaughter Zeb's species almost completely it was bit odd he would even care to complain about that. Sure it seems Kallus may have changed but too bad if Thrawn is now some kind of monster- he was not like that in EU.

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Well, he was willing to destroy a Noghri village if necessary. In "Dark Force Rising," after Thrawn discovers that he was lied to, he orders Pellaeon to prepare a "suitable" demonstration that the Empire still rules here. At that time, Thrawn only orders a "demonstration", ie: attacking a part of the land outside the village, but he was close to ordering an attack on the village itself, saying to the effect, "Let them hope I don't change my mind."

So, while it's true that Thrawn didn't slaughter civilians on-page, it was clear he was willing to do so to uphold Imperial authority.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Sure he would as any imperial really. It was just odd that it seemed to be some kind of unneeded sacrifice of civilians here that he was accused of- which is quite off-character I would say.

14. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Thrawn once said he destroyed an entire species after failing to get insight from their art. I don't see anything unusual with Kallus' comment.

Plus, you don’t get to be Grand Admiral of the Evil Empire with a promotion given by the Devil himself the Emperor, if you’re going to worry about civilian casualties.

15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    My take on it is that Thrawn employed a 'hearts and minds' approach after realising Palps/Tarkin's tactics of fear and intimidation had backfired. He can still be a total psycho authoritarian while appealing to people's more liberal sensibilities.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

To use a real life examples, Eric Von Manstein was Germany's most brilliant Military commander of WW2, he was also a big lover of Art like Thrawn. Yet his role on the Eastern Front, especially during his Crimea campaign was murky to say the least, with the Einzgruppen committing atrocities which if he himself did not order, he would certainly have been aware off.

Or Grand Admiral Donitz who was in favour on unrestricted submarine warfare with his Wolf packs on no matter what ship, military or civilian alike in favour of starving out the UK.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I think Thrawn is mostly based on Erwin Rommel- along with Sherlock Holmes.

fett 4 likes this.
  18. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't mean to sound like I'm supporting Donitz but would you go on a cruise to war zone?

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No but he hit everything he could,though the main target was Merchant ships, if Hitler had allowed him to do it earlier in the War, Germany would have won no question.
    In his own words
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL41cj6ZmSaExpVJvp_NR38463v0j-IO0L&v=RE3hDbqJaWc

20. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    He has made Rebels much better for me since the Imperial Officers so far have just been incompetent generic humans. Hopefully we get to see some more alien (humanoid/near human) Imp Officers which will give the Imperials some well needed diversity.

21. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    No they wouldn't. Russia was still going to curbstomp them in the end, and submarines would be no use in that fight.

22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015

Wait. Didn't the Kriegsmarine started unrestricted warfare right away? I thought the big stumbling block was the Navy wanting the war to wait to get more Uboats.

23. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Stop trying to compare Thrawn to people in real life, please. Here I am comparing him to what he was in the books and NO he was not the type of man to make unnecessary slaughter of civilians. The Noghri village was just a small village and for a real meaningful reason, and the species he did not understand was just ONE thing he said he did ONCE and he seems to regret it.

Have you all forgotten the later Thrawn, of later books? Like in Crisis of faith or Choices of one, it was clearly said that he did not like killing civilians for nothing.

So if Rebels want to turn him into just another cruel monster, I really don't like that, doesn't sound like Thrawn to me. Sorry.

24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    if they make Thrawn more Machiavellian I don't mind, but if they do it solely to make him seem more like a villain I have to agree.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  25. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    As for thrawn never read the books so his new to me, but i liked what i saw and looking forward to learning more about him.