main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Totally agree. The Yuuzhan Vong are the most un-Star Warsie thing ever.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Gam

Gam Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2016
    I want more CIS remnant to appear in rebels !!!

3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Ah, I didn't think about that. Yes of course now the "because he took Zaarin's place" is non-canon... I liked the way he got rid of Zaarin, that's a pity. But yes, the creator of the character had, I guess, something different in mind. I hope it will be good. (and not because "he killed many civilians at Batonn"...)

4. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016

Good point about the uniform...I guess it is a cartoon and visuals are important. Good rationale for later....also it could be that Vader influenced to have him sent away because he was getting too much power. I love the character, need to get used to his new place in the timeline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes I will love to see Thrawn taken away from the OT movie years other then death. Jealousy by Vader or Tarken works.

Darth Caliban and Vasco_Rojo like this.
  6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    But I don't think we will see Vader in season 3, I think that Filoni said that we would not see him at all?

So maybe jealousy from Tarkin... but for the moment we did not see that kind of interaction between them.

7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I don't really get the out of character complaints regarding Thrawn on the show; this is a different interpretation than the non-canon Legends version so it doesn't make much sense to clank down on the new take on a character with OOC nitpicking because he's not exactly like the old version from the books.

8. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    It has nothing to do with the old version of the books.

Even if you consider him like a whole new character, for me that "angry" scene looks off, that's all. Like coming from nowhere for no real reason, just to say "hey look Thrawn is crazy about art lol"... :rolleyes: let's say it was not subtle AT ALL if it was what they wanted to show.

Again, you're free to like it and I'm free to dislike it.

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Urghh Vader jealous of Mara Jade in the Zahn books never worked and him being jealous of Thrawn on TV doesn't work either. I can get behind Thrawn hating Vader, since all the other Imperials hate and mock him too, but certainly not Vader being jealous. The only person Vader should be jealous off would be the Emperor, unless it's Thrawn's ability to breath without a mask, in which case, that's the whole galaxy.

10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Vader's not going to be in Season 3 and even if he was, his traditional relationship with Thrawn was never one of antagonism.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  11. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I think the new canon is not going with the old Legends portrayal of Vader as a hypersensitive, over-jealous angryman, which was always OOC and completely jarring to read when you contrasted it to his usually nonchalant, “I don’t give a **** about you” behavior in the OT. The only way I see Vader wanting to kill Thrawn would be if a) Thrawn betrayed the Empire or b) he mocked/degraded the Force, and I don’t see Thrawn doing either. Since Thrawn is actually competent, intelligent and seemingly loyal to the Empire, I can see Vader growing some respect for him and even like him. He respected Tarkin and Inspector Thanoth for the same reasons.

As for Tarkin, I also don’t see him being jealous over Thrawn because there’s nothing for him be jealous about. He is not a threat to him, just like Vader is not a threat to Tarkin. They have different careers and positions in the Empire (one is governor, the other is an admiral). Plus Tarkin doesn’t strike me as the jealous type after reading his book.

However, in light of the latest Rogue One spoilers,
    it seems the brutal hierarchy and snobbism of the Imperial elite will play a role in the movie. According to Edwards, Krennic “hits a brick wall in the hierarchy where they won’t let him in the club and it’s going to turn into a them-or-us situation: either Krennic or Tarkin and the others.” That is quite interesting, because that might also play a role in Rebels if they ever do the Imperial-centric episode.

For now, Thrawn is just a navy admiral who is around when his skills are needed. But if he gets too ambitious and tries to vie for a position in the Imperial elite, that might tick Tarkin off. And with the Death Star project reaching its completion, Tarkin might also feel that the role of grand admirals like Thrawn would no longer be needed. Just like Motti (who was also a part of the Death Star project) thought that Vader’s role in the Empire was outdated.

I would not mind if Thrawn got killed because Tarkin/his British boys’ club conspired against him. I would love if Motti was involved in this in some way, since Motti was also an admiral and thus had reasons to feel jealous over Thrawn, who became a GRAND admiral on his own merit, promoted by the Emperor himself.
    In fact, the more I think about it, the more reasons I see to bring Motti in and make him the true enemy of Thrawn. By the time of ANH, Motti became the Chief of the Imperial Navy (according to Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know) and it makes me question why the obviously superior Grand Admiral Thrawn, who was also favored by the Emperor, did not get that promotion instead. There has to be a story about it.

12. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    In fact, the more I think about it, the more reasons I see to bring Motti in and make him the true enemy of Thrawn. By the time of ANH, Motti became the Chief of the Imperial Navy (according to Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know) and it makes me question why the obviously superior Grand Admiral Thrawn, who was also favored by the Emperor, did not get that promotion instead. There has to be a story about it.[/quote]

This is a great point...that is what I fear with the bringing of all this great characters, how would they reconcile with the movies that precede them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Perhaps factionalism and infighting amongst the Imperials can be used both to show Thrawn's strategic mind and provide a good excuse for Rebel victories. If Thrawn's eye is on "the big fish" that is a Rebel *Alliance* instead of the Rebel cells, he has probably realized that more conservative Imperials will baulk at his plans to allow individual cells to escape destruction.

So, what if he is shown in future episodes subtly leading his peers and opponents into trying to beat the Rebels themselves, and losing in part because they feel they have to act alone to save face. And then Thrawn's actions with Skaven make even more sense; sic e his strategic goal was not to kill the cell but to eventually follow it up the food chain, he instead fed the Rebels to Slaven and allowed him to choke on them, fully expecting Slaven to lose and be replaced with either a better commander of someone who would do what Thrawn would order.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  14. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    In relation to Thrawn and Krennic, it's funny because Gareth Edwards comments indicate that he hasn't really had much to do with Palpatine whereas Thrawn seems to have been personally promoted by the man. Thrawn, who, as far as we know, had no presence in the galaxy during the Clone Wars compared to Krennic who was seems to have been very active.

15. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    and here i thought the Empire was supposed to be Xenophobic. I mean besides Mas Amedda (who is basically the Goring to Palpatine's Hitler.) , isn't Thrawn the only alien in the imperial military?

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

That was an old EU thing more than anything else. In fact Zahn started it, to really play on the Nazi analogies (Complete with German Naval rank) and to say indicate how great Thrawn is for getting to that position.
    The best example would/could be one of the Nazi Gauliters and the Wermacht who were often at odds with each other.

17. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Xenophobia is the glass ceiling for Thrawn, and for Krennic it's the Imperial social strata.

Motti, Tagge and Tarkin have powerful industrial interests and companies. Tarkin represents and organized the massive imperial military industrial arm. He's the Albert Speer and Goering of the Empire.

Very interesting to see Constantine, Kallus and others try to take Thrawn down a notch.

Tarkin isn't jealous at all...when you have the power to allocate Thrawn and his fleet to a sector moff...you're top dog.

Keep in mind how much power Tarkin wields with his over sector governance and just sheer influence in assigning contracts for fleets and procuring material for his battle station.

I'm sure there are the Krennics and Pryces that envy him...to hope to gain the Emperor's favor for control of that station. I don't know if the higher ranks of the empire are aware of how close Tarkin's relationship is with the Emperor.

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    They may all vie for the Emperor's good graces and they'd want to remain there as nepotism exists within the Galactic Empire. Krennic has an english accent himself, I don't think it has anything do with it. Tarkin comes from an aristocratic & elitist stock(as was Dooku), nobility looking down at the lower classes is pretty much always the case namely in fictional despotic forms of government in fiction, even while the lower classes may rise up and assume their positions then the same kinda thing starts all over again, its just switching one out for the other and revenge politics.

19. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I think we should also stop comparing the Imperials with Nazis all the time, it's annoying, it's another universe, stop trying to always compare with Earth history...

What is the next Rebels episode where we will see Thrawn ?

20. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Ok lets compare the Imperials to other fantasy empires?

revan772 likes this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

It's completely legitimate and fair. Since Star Wars used a lot of WW2 motifs and images. Terms like StormTroopers (though that was actually from WW1 most people associate it with the Nazis) and even Thrawn's rank was the Chief German Naval Rank and after Hitler's death Grand Admiral Donitz took over and surrendered the German forces. Though admittedly there were a number of other influences, such as the Fall of the Roman Republic, for the Rise of Palpatine and the War between the Shaolin Monks and another sect (name escapes me) for the Jedi and Sith and of course the Vietcong. The Empire was pretty much set up to be Nazis in Space and pretty black and white. It was only latter with Vader himself, that he as a character was to be made conflicted and tragic but for the rest they were just bad guys.

22. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    The Empire's xenophobia has been downplayed in the current canon. All of the Inquisitors are non-human, there apparently are alien support staff, and of course Amedda basically ends up as Palpatine's successor. It's still alluded to, but it's not the same as in the old EU. The sexism thing has been abolished entirely as well.

Danifae, MandaloreRex2015 and draw73 like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean the comparisons are so easy and you can see that Lucas/the writers have taken that into account for the empire.

24. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I didn't say Lucas didn't inspire himself a bit from Earth history, but some people seem to think that everything is linked to WW2 and they try to compare to very specific people all the time. It's not because "some" things were inspired by WW2 that we should compare every aspect of the Empire to that. Lucas inspired himself from the samourai as well, for example (Vader's helmet, the Jedi, the wise master and the apprentice, etc), and T. Zahn was inspired by many people to create Thrawn, not just "Rommel", but all the genius tacticians and conquerors (Napoleon, Alexander the great, Ghengis Khan, etc) and of course Sherlock Holmes.

So it's really simplifying too much to always compare to nazis and WW2.

Like if nazis were the only "bad guys" the world ever had... :rolleyes:

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Even the First Order is modeled on the Nazis , if the creators do it, why not the fans?! Makes no sense. The Empire is modeled on a few different regimes in the real world , as was the New Republic, the Alliance, Republic and Resistance ect.

The Empire is still zenophobic in current canon. The Nazi's used foreign nationals and ethnicities in its Divisions, some exemptions and exceptions did not change their overall policies and politics, plus war time attrition was a factor. Some of the early Nazi leaders and SA/ Brown Shirts were even open homosexuals. The Empire like the Nazi's or Soviets had changing extreme positions, they werent always static and often revolved around who was in power or came to power. The Empire also like the Nazi's and Soviets even routinely kill their own men for advancement or to ensure their survival or curb their fears ect.