main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

And this is a small thing that nobody seems to have noticed. Phoenix Squadron acquired the Y-Wings. But they're not the ones who will pilot them. They're merely the deliverymen or procurement people. It's the Rebels of Gold Squadron that will use those ships against the Death Star. And even then, the Y-Wings never succeeded against the Death Star. It was the X-Wings that delivered the actual blow. This is the description for these Rebels in a nutshell. They're fighting the good fight against the Empire. But they're not the ones who will bring it down. Yes they'll have a few small victories here and there, but they're not making a real difference. And that's because they don't have a vision for victory.

2. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    So, apparently the Chimaera made its debut in canon...

[​IMG]

3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Oh gosh, where does it come from? o____o that's a really cool design! I love it!!

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Steve Melching, one of the writers of Rebels, posted it on Twitter.

5. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Ah ok, he posted the work of the concept artist "Andre Kirk" who is working on Rebels, so we can assume it's official and not something the artist did for fun?

(why is it written "Wolf") ?

6. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I think it's official, but I'm not too sure why the "wolf" thing comes into it, as I've seen it used on character designs as well. Maybe it's an in-house animation term that's going over my head.

7. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I hope that "Wolf " is not the new name of "Chimaera"...

also, it's written 308, does it mean it will appear in next episode? the HONDO episode? o__o strange...

8. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It seems that it was in the most recent episode at the end, and Melching posted it from the episode guide that got put online a few hours ago. He did specifically call it "The Chimaera" though.

9. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    That is really a cool design. Very befitting of a connoisseur like Thrawn.

10. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
  11. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Nope, he wrote "Chimarea" and not "Chimaera" [face_laugh]

12. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Zahn's...."unique" spelling has eluded better men than him I suppose.

13. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I wonder how he will write "Pellaeon" and "C'baoth" then :p

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Except there's nothing unique about it- the chimæra is an actual mythological creature. And in fact though Zahn was the first author to use such inspiration for naming a star destroyer, he wasn't the last.

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I'm aware of the significance of the chimaera as a name, I was simply making a joke about how people often misspell and mispronounce Zahn's various characters, worlds and creatures.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Was Malachor really that life changing, Kanan's blindness is not that Big a deal and he's basically Daredevil now. The Sith Holocron plot went no where. Even Ahsoka is still alive and left open ended

Jedi Knight Fett and Vialco like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It also looks a bit different from this. Still, in Star Wars they may look different. It looks like a mix-and-match critter - which fits with the term "chimaera" in genetics at least.

18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Maybe the people who work on Rebels are afraid that they'll be accused of ableism if they portray Kanan's blindness as something that he struggles with. Cause you know how dare they portray a disability as well a disability! I dunno. [face_dunno]I may be grasping at straws here though.

And just for the record I have a disability myself (Dyspraxia/Developmental Coordination Disorder) and I had to go through extensive OT, PT, and speech therapy when I was little. So I am not saying that ableism is not a big deal. The anti-vaccine movement proves that ableism is a big deal. Yet while I am able to keep my dyspraxia under control now it wasn't like I was able to overcome my disability in like a week.

So in short I have no issue with Kanan overcoming his disability but I agree that he overcame his disability a little too quickly.

fett 4 likes this.
  19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The ironic thing about how Rebels portrays a disability, is that the main character of Starwars Darth Vader IS Disabled and literally can't breath without being strapped to an iron lung

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Vader was going against Ahsoka his former apprentice and she'd know a lot about his moves. This is coming from someone who does not like Ahsoka whatsoever currently and yet I think they did justice to the fight.

21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    'I feel like Thrawn to me has been very under utilized in the first half of this season. so i'm hoping in the second half TPTB give him some meaty roles.

22. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It'll be interesting to see how they balance Thrawn's arc and Maul's. The two storylines might intersect come the season finale.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I wonder what the endgame for Thrawn is? How far do you see his arc extending in the franchise?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Personally I think Thrawn's the arc villain of this season of Rebels, and then perhaps he'll have a few appearances in the novels before going on to be one of the primary villains in the new series Dave Filoni is rumoured to be working on, which I imagine is set post-Jedi/pre-TFA. Perhaps he might even make an appearance in a future anthology film.

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    New Republic-era series sounds very interesting. We could see other villains from the EU canonized like Ysanne Isard, Warlord Zsinj or even Emperor's clone from Shadows of the Empire or damn maybe even Yuuzhan Vong(maybe not that though:p)

About Thrawn I don't really think he needs to die- if he goes he needs to go with style though...

One little thing that would very cool IMO would be if Thrawn would have Grievous' cyborg body or at least mask in his art collection, since he studies "the art of war" wouldn't it really suit well don't you think? After all Grievous was a being crafted for warfare but it's design has certain artistic qualities. I dunno just a random idea.

Darth Caliban and PCCViking like this.