main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Thrawn in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TtheForceHurts, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    He has an upcoming book all about him. There has to be something in there and I expect it to play out in the same manner as the Tarkin novel.

2. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Well it doesn't feel like it at all, and if they wanted to target the same audience as TCW, it's a failure then. Because clearly Rebels seems more childish, and more for children of 5-9 years old then 8-12. And I see that on many forums and discussions many people think the same way, Rebels has a more childish/naive feel to it.

- DAH: if people love that character so much, i's because of the books, you should read them. As the other said, a cartoon for children like Rebels is not the best place to introduce a character as complex as Thrawn. For the moment we could see him making plans and that's all, because I guess we will see him in action at the end of the season. That's why a lot of people feel that we didn't see much of him for the moment and may be disappointed.

3. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Absolutely, and I fully expect Zahn to cover his history with the Chiss Ascendancy and his early years serving the Empire. Within Rebels he's a bit of a cipher though, and while that's fitting to an extent...I'd like to gleam a little more, even if it is only a couple of small things. A scene or two between Thrawn, Tarkin and Yularen would go a long way in that sense.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Alternatively, TCW failed in its stated aim to appeal to young children and adjusted it's output to match the broader demographic it was actually drawing. Now Rebels is on a much smaller network that is solely targeted at young children.

godisawesome likes this.
  5. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Doesn't matter. They're for the same audience. The original Ben 10 is clearly more childish than Alien Force and Ultimate Alien but all three shows target the same audience.

I'm not defending the childish moments in Rebels and I agree that TCW had more 'adult' moments in it but my point still stands.

Besides I really don't like it when people blame Disney for Rebels being tamer than The Clone Wars*. No it was Filoni and the others who decided to make it tamer. Gravity Falls had plenty of edgy material for a Y7 show and that was a Disney show too.

*I'm not saying you blame Disney for Rebels being tamer but I have seen others blame them for it and that's just wrong.

6. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Oh, don't worry, I'm not a fan at all of TCW. I just feel like it was a "bit" less childish than Rebels, that's all.

But I've seen so many things in TCW that did upset me... for example Asohka being the creator of Marg Sabl, for example. RAAAH. So you have Thrawn, the most intelligent tactician of the galaxy, using the tactic of an inexperienced teenager in one of his battles. No, just....NO. :oops:

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Pellaeon: "They're not going to fall for anything that simple."
    Thrawn: "On the contrary. Not only will they fall for it, they'll be utterly destroyed by it."

The Marg Sabl is supposed to be a simple, not especially out of the ordinary tactic, that Elomin "simply cannot handle" which is why Thrawn uses it on them.

I also figured Ahsoka didn't create it - she simply did the research and found it, amongst many other "standard tactics" - but as one particularly suited to the situation.

La Calavera and SyndicThrass like this.
  8. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Yeah the impression I got in Heir to the Empire was that the Marg Sabl was a fairly basic manuever that Thrawn just so happened to use. It wasn't so much the mannuver itself that was impressive, but how Thrawn utilised it against the Elomin psychology.

La Calavera and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    thrawn in the mid season trailer was great, my fav part (that thrawn is in not my total fav part which is the very end, i think you know what i am talking about) is when thrawn is fighting those droids:
    link to exact time here

10. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    If she did not create it, it's a good thing... even if it is simple, just the thought of Thrawn using a tactic created by a teenager with no experience is upsetting in a way.
    But if she just "used" it, why not...

- Kashuula: that scene inspired a lot of fans on Tumblr :p let's hope it will look good in the series and not... strange... or out of place...

11. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Filoni even admitted that he stole it from Thrawn first.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean is t it not used anywhere else?

13. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    Besides the Thrawn Trilogy and Storm over Ryloth ? Nothing I can think of.

14. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Yes of course he stole it from Thrawn first. But as Asohka is launching her tactic before Thrawn in the timeline, it looks like the opposite, and I don't like that. It looks like Thrawn copying/using the tactic of a teenager...

So of course they say that a Marg Sabl is supposed to be an easy tactic, but now it looks like Thrawn is using a tactic anyone could use, even a teenager who doesn't know anything about tactics and war.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For all we know Thrawn could have invented it before the clone wars or during it.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  16. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I heard someone once say that his head looks like a deformed blue potato.

17. Grievpalpy75

Dec 31, 2015
    I just asked Pablo about this. He said Ahsoka is using something that already existed.

18. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Ok... if she didn't create it, it's already a good thing. Even if I don't really like seeing her using the same tactics as Thrawn, like if it was a piece of cake anyone could do...

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    That's kind of the point to the use of it Heir to the Empire. Pellaeon didn't think it would work as it really was a basic, simple manuever that would be obvious to most foes....but the Elomin couldn't comprehend it because of their cultural psychology. It's more an example of Thrawn reading his opponents and using their shortcomings against them rather than pulling off some complex manuever.

20. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    "I highly recommend as many have written, to read some of the novels. Thrawn is indeed a very unique character unlike any villain in SW. Unfortunately a 20+ minute animated episode cannot do justice to him"

Dont wish to offend again, I understand what your saying, and thanks for your thoughtfull and lovely reply, but im not spending any money on anything that is under the "Legends" banner..i.e "Non-Canon" ....the stuff that is Canon cost's me far too much already without adding to my already extremley high bill :_| ...ill see if I can download a free audiobook version tho...thank's again and peace [:D]

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The Thrawn Trilogy has been around since 1991 so if price is an issue, either your Libary could get a copy in or if you go on Amazon/EBay etc you will find loads Being sold for just 0.01p

Regards Thrawn the problems are several.
    1) Like all the other villains on the show, because the (large) main cast all have character shields, there's only so much he can do anyway. Particularly over 22 episodes. A person can only steeple his fingers and talk about a plan so many times.Im guessing that's why Judo Thrawn has shown up in the Trailer.
    2) It leads into the above a bit, The type of character Thrawn is. In the TTT he is leading an outnumbered fleet that's had multiple defeats. It's also Space Battles involving fleets. In this show he's hunting the Ghost crew and up against the not yet formed Rebel Alliance...There is only so much he can do there anyway
    3) Finally you have the format of the show. It's basically The Road Runner in Space. Military geniuses don't lend well when your Wiley Coyote

22. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't understand why you would spend so much in books that are faaaar from being as good as the Thrawn trilogy? do you blindly buy anything of the new canon? all of them are not worth buying, far from that. You prefer spending all your money in average books than a few dollars in 3 books considered by most as the best SW books? I don't understand that logic.

It's not because it's not officially canon anymore that it's not worth reading, much the contrary. Zahn even said that his new book "Thrawn" would not "rewrite" his previous Thrawn books and we could read it like if it was part of the old canon as well as the new.

23. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    So Thrawn in Rebels. So far, he seems to be under used. And when he does get screen time, the pipe organ playing as his "theme" really bothers me. Is he supposed to be a vampire? Phantom of the Opera?

Grand Admiral Zahn was somewhat of an overdone "author fantasy insert" when I read the trilogy over a decade ago. Assuming they start using him in a more central role, I hope they capture the novel character, but pulled back a notch.

24. DAH

DAH Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2017
    I don't understand why you would spend so much in books that are faaaar from being as good as the Thrawn trilogy? do you blindly buy anything of the new canon? all of them are not worth buying, far from that. You prefer spending all your money in average books than a few dollars in 3 books considered by most as the best SW books? I don't understand that logic.

I didnt mean I just buy novels...I also purchase soundtrack's....blu-ray's...comics....figure's....DK book's..I also buy the audiobook aswell as the novel...as I like to read them while I listen as im dyslexic and a slow reader other-wise...and Im not interested in non-canon stuff, only because I know id most probably love the thrawn trilogy....which in turn would make me more curious about the other non-canon stuff and and then ill end up buying all of them aswell.....so that's another slippery road of spending a fortune..I dont really have...that's all..and there's no need to be so smug and critical about my comment....I wasnt being rude when I said it....peace and thanks

Jester J Binks likes this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016

I understand that completely. In the late 90s , early 00s I went DVD purchase crazy. The only thing that saved me was the BluRay. The idea of rebuying what I had already purchased because it was "better quality", only to eventually have to do it all over again and again ended the overspending. Plus it was a bit like the truck ownership dilemma. People keep wanting to borrow your truck/movies. It starts out as fun to share, and quickly turns into a headache (keeping track of which DVDs you loaned out to make sure you get them back / spending too many weekends helping others move).

The Thrawn trilogy +2 is pretty good (for SW EU), but somewhat overrated.